Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 4:39 pm

I really offended somebody at work today I don't really want to get into it but this is an aspect of this conditions I really hate.

No point in over analyzing this incident the point is I have done it before and I know I will do it again no matter how hard I try.

I just needed to get that off my chest.

I know a lot of my recent posts are about how well things are going for me but the ASD is always there.

Wind
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 4:48 pm

I do this a lot too :( If it helps, NT's put their foot in it too.

My mum mentioned to my uncle in front of my cousin about the next meal out, and my uncle didn't want his son (my cousin) to go, as it's an adult sort of thing, but the son always insists on going.
Anyways yeah, now the son (my cousin) knows, and my mum feels bad for putting her foot in it.

Empathy Quotient: 8
I have ASD, ADHD, Hypermobility Syndrome.

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 4:50 pm

Thanks I know everybody does it at some point.

I still hate doing it. :oops:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 5:52 pm

Perhaps there is a way to rectify your "foot in mouth" moment.

I have a severe case of foot-in-mouth disease. There were times, however, when I was able to rectify what I had done--sometimes with humor, sometimes with an "olive branch." I've, somehow, kept my job for 33 years despite getting myself into a considerable amount of trouble.

Maybe your foot in mouth is reversible--who knows?

cannotthinkoff
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Apr 2014, 6:35 pm

That's a really weird idiom though. I keep imagining you actually putting your foot..

Sylvastor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 6:46 pm

This thread is highly confusing to me. What exactly does it mean? :?

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 6:55 pm

Wow, with teeth like yours, I'd be careful with my feet! :D

I do that too often though. Sometimes I just blurt out stupid things even though I suspect they might not be so brilliant, because I can't figure out the right way to say something. I think in my old age i"m getting more quiet though (unfortunately, not much better at speaking).

cannotthinkoff
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Apr 2014, 7:04 pm

Sylvastor wrote:

I think putting your foot in your mouth means that you said something wrong at the wrong time etc. And then foot-in-mouth disease is when you do this sort of thing constantly.
The idiom itself makes no sense though.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 7:08 pm

When you "put your foot in your mouth," you leave yourself open to criticism and punishment through either ill-placed actions or words.

This often happens when you try to convince someone of the truth of something, when it's actually false. You leave yourself open to criticism. You embarrass yourself because you didn't have the proper knowledge, or conducted the proper research You "put your foot in your mouth." Literally placing a foot in a mouth doesn't allow one to talk, and it hurts your mouth to boot. You effectively "shut yourself up" instead of forcing somebody to tell you to "shut up." At this point, you must find a way to strategically retreat. You "put your foot in your mouth." You embarrassed yourself.

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 7:08 pm

i hope you cleaned your foot before you put it in your mouth

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 7:11 pm

My feet are pristinely clean :D

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 7:27 pm

This thread is funny it made me smile. :D

Sylvastor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 8:40 pm

I was actually imagining you putting your foot into your mouth as some sort of stim and offending someone that way at work - that was a very very very weird thought... I don't think I can be blamed for interpreting it literally. :lol:

Thanks for explaining that to me though, kraftiekortie and cannotthinkoff. :oops:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 8:59 pm

It's not your overly-literal thinking in this instance, I believe. It's because "putting your foot in your mouth" is a non-native idiom to you. If you would write a German idiom, it would be a struggle for me to understand it as well.

jedaustin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Apr 2014, 12:06 am

sharkattack wrote:
I really offended somebody at work today I don't really want to get into it but this is an aspect of this conditions I really hate.

No point in over analyzing this incident the point is I have done it before and I know I will do it again no matter how hard I try.

I just needed to get that off my chest.

I know a lot of my recent posts are about how well things are going for me but the ASD is always there.

I've found that telling someone you're sorry that you offended them and didn't intend to goes farther than you'd expect.
Sometimes explaining whatever BS you're going through that made you a bit worked up helps too.
Other than that just reiterating that you're sorry helps.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 2:04 pm

Sylvastor wrote:

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/put+foot+in+mouth

"put one's foot in one's mouth and put one's foot in it; stick one's foot in one's mouth"

"to say something that you regret; to say something stupid, insulting, or hurtful"

McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman