I feel like different characters sometimes

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 2:43 am

Sometimes, I feel like a movie villain, and when I make posts on the Internet, I write in the villain's voice and style. I find when I do that, people call me a jerk and mean and twisted.

Recently, in a discussion about local severe weather, I felt instead like Yuki from Hourou Musuko, friendly, kind, humble, and a bit quirky, and i was met with great reception.

Does anyone else have this issue?

I believe this is a self-disorder, which is listed in the Examination of Anomalous Self-Experience, 2.9 "Identity Confusion," which is defined as, "A feeling as if the patient is somebody else":

http://www.nordlandssykehuset.no/getfil ... r/EASE.pdf

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 10:29 am

It's not a disorder. You are adopting a persona. Probably most people, including NT's, at some point adopt some kind of persona when they are in chat rooms/internet forums. I think it's cool, and that you're being an actor. As long as you don't use it for fraudulent reasons.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 11:32 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It's not a disorder. You are adopting a persona. Probably most people, including NT's, at some point adopt some kind of persona when they are in chat rooms/internet forums. I think it's cool, and that you're being an actor. As long as you don't use it for fraudulent reasons.

The things is, I feel like I actually am the person (though I "know" that I'm not), and their voice takes over my voice in my head.

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 12:26 pm

Dissociative Disorder. Previously known as multiple personality disorder. Best understood only from recent descriptions of it though, I wouldn't trust anything too old about it.

I recently read a GREAT description from someone who had it, wish I could find it again now for you. It's basically a coping mechanism, usually part of PTSD, but it doesn't have to involve having been abused horribly. It can just happen as a way of dealing with everyday events that are negative.

Poor motivation

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 1:04 pm

cavernio wrote:
Dissociative Disorder. Previously known as multiple personality disorder. Best understood only from recent descriptions of it though, I wouldn't trust anything too old about it.

I recently read a GREAT description from someone who had it, wish I could find it again now for you. It's basically a coping mechanism, usually part of PTSD, but it doesn't have to involve having been abused horribly. It can just happen as a way of dealing with everyday events that are negative.

I don't think it's DID I have. I don't forget who I am at times, rather it feels that I am temporarily embodied by a fictional character.

It seems to match the EASE description I mentioned in the OP perfectly, especially considering that the other self-disorders listed also seem to match.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 3:03 pm

As long as you don't forget who you truly are (I mean, your name, your address, your parents, etc), I don't think it's necessarily indicative of a disorder that somebody imagines oneself to be another person, with a different voice, different ideas, etc. They even think in that "voice." Actors do it all the time. I believe this is an aspect of "method" acting: becoming immersed in one's role

I still think it's only acting, playing a role, adopting a persona UNTIL one forgets who one truly is (i.e., your name, your address, your parents, etc).

LOL....we have enough disorders already; why search for more?