Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

AutisticGuy1981
Toucan
Toucan

04 Apr 2014, 6:21 am

Does anyone else do anything similar to this?
I really need to purchase a new pair of jeans or a few pairs, I currently have only one pair of jeans that are actually my current waist size thanks to losing a little weight recently.

Now to most people this would probably be a situation where they would just rush into town and buy some, but for me it's always a case of trying to put it off for as long as humanly possible and I can't understand what makes me do it.
I'm perfectly capable of walking to town as it's only 10-15minutes walk from my home, I don't tend to feel nervous or anxious when I'm in town as it's usually not very busy so it's not a huge deal.

The only thing that could possibly worry me is a person trying to make small talk with me or someone being overly friendly with me which always makes me feel uncomfortable and my mind tends to go blank when I'm anxious so I either say something stupid or say something stupid and 2 minutes later think of some really witty answer I could have gave.

But I go food shopping solo all the time so it can't be that.

I never feel like putting it off when I need a haircut either but threes something about the thought of buying clothes which really doesn't appeal to me at all.

BTW, If you do this what was the last thing you put off on the never never?

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 6:42 am

I do this and I do it more often than I would like. I am tying to think of the last thing I put off. I need a new clothes iron. It's been months. I have one in my closet I just need to get it out of the box. I just can't seem to get my head around to doing it.

Wreck It Ralph

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 7:05 am

I function best when I use the one-touch method for everything, meaning that as soon as I start something, I finish it completely. If I open an email, then I reply to it and file it away at the same time. If I bring home laundry, then I put it away immediately.

As soon as I set a task aside, I have no way of knowing when I will ever get back to it. I've spent 10x as much energy in negative self-talk about unfinished tasks than I would have spent in just finishing the darn things.

Is this an Executive Function thing?

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 7:20 am

AutisticGuy1981 wrote:
Does anyone else do anything similar to this?
I really need to purchase a new pair of jeans or a few pairs, I currently have only one pair of jeans that are actually my current waist size thanks to losing a little weight recently.

Now to most people this would probably be a situation where they would just rush into town and buy some, but for me it's always a case of trying to put it off for as long as humanly possible and I can't understand what makes me do it.
I'm perfectly capable of walking to town as it's only 10-15minutes walk from my home, I don't tend to feel nervous or anxious when I'm in town as it's usually not very busy so it's not a huge deal.

The only thing that could possibly worry me is a person trying to make small talk with me or someone being overly friendly with me which always makes me feel uncomfortable and my mind tends to go blank when I'm anxious so I either say something stupid or say something stupid and 2 minutes later think of some really witty answer I could have gave.

But I go food shopping solo all the time so it can't be that.

I never feel like putting it off when I need a haircut either but threes something about the thought of buying clothes which really doesn't appeal to me at all.

BTW, If you do this what was the last thing you put off on the never never?

Do you have any sensory issues about getting clothes on and off many times in a row?

I guess I myself have an issue with that, or maybe it's also combined with the fast change in deciding what to choose and what not. Especially if I go clothes shopping with others. That's why I seldom buy clothes, and prefer to do it on my own.

Or maybe it's a question of executive dysfunction. Or all of the things combined.

AutisticGuy1981
Toucan
Toucan

04 Apr 2014, 7:53 am

AnnePande wrote:
Do you have any sensory issues about getting clothes on and off many times in a row?

I guess I myself have an issue with that, or maybe it's also combined with the fast change in deciding what to choose and what not. Especially if I go clothes shopping with others. That's why I seldom buy clothes, and prefer to do it on my own.

Or maybe it's a question of executive dysfunction. Or all of the things combined.

I don't have any sensory issues when it comes to clothing or being touched.
I think I might have Body dysmorphic disorder or something similar but with only faces instead if it's even possible? but I'm not sure why that would put me off buying jeans because I don't even need to try them on, I know exactly what size waist and leg to buy.

I'm 33 years old and to my knowledge the only photos that exist of me as an adult are a few photos from when I was 19.
If I see a photo of me it doesn't even look like me 90% of the time so I don't let people take them.

I can't tell if I'm good looking but I have no idea if most other guys are either as bizarre as that might sound.
I've always thought it was just a "not being gay thing" but now I'm not to sure...

Obviously when I look at women I know what I like and what I don't but even with women most faces I find quite pretty about the only thing that will put me off is a manly face.

TheCrookedFingers
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Apr 2014, 8:55 am

I do this too.
I find it helps a little bit to plan what I have to do in advance, for instance instead of just thinking "I should buy some jeans" I'll write down "wednesday, 4 pm, buy jeans".

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 8:56 am

LOL...Autistic Guy, that sounds pretty much like the typical NT heterosexual.

Could it be the hassle in having to pick the proper pair of jeans? As for me, I don't like to go clothes shopping--it takes up too much of my time.

I guess, what you should do, is just "get it over with," so you won't have to shop again for jeans for at least a little while.

Eccles_the_Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 9:39 am

I just pulled out the big list of Asperger's Syndrome functions and procrastination is right there. I remembered it because it's something I'm really bad at and sometimes projects will sit unfinished for months on my workbench whilst I do other things.

As for shopping for clothes, yuch! I do it once every six months and buy everything from underwear to shoes all in one go, that way I can forget about it for a while. It's probably my least favorite activity.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 11:04 am

Eccles_the_Mighty wrote:
I just pulled out the big list of Asperger's Syndrome functions and procrastination is right there.
Can you post that list? I would love to see what it says.

Wreck It Ralph

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 12:10 pm

I do this too...

My biggest flaw is that when faced with a problem, I try to ignore it and hope it goes away. This has gotten me in trouble many times and yet I still do it. :cry:

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

InTheDeepEnd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Apr 2014, 12:31 pm

Very bad about this. Based on personal experience and some of what you said, it sounds like the social aspect is what's getting you. If you could go out and buy jeans and not see any people at all, would you be more quick to do it? If the answer is yes, then I say give yourself a break on the social stuff and just make up your mind to not interact with anyone you don't have to. For those you have to, don't care what they think of you. Just be yourself and if they don't like it, tough.

You could always just order some jeans online. I order all my clothes online because I know exactly what I want anyway, and the selection is better online.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 3:15 pm

It is easy for me to shop. I just do not like it so I put it off.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2014, 9:33 am

skibum wrote:
Eccles_the_Mighty wrote:
I just pulled out the big list of Asperger's Syndrome functions and procrastination is right there.
Can you post that list? I would love to see what it says.

He must have put it off?

Another tip just occurred to me: savor the good feelings of finishing things. Reward yourself, even.