On the subject of mentally ill men who think they're women

Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

With the choice of a private room on either the men's or women's ward, where should the pre-op transsexual woman be placed and why?
A private room on the men's ward, because the patient would be a rape threat to the women. 10%  10%  [ 5 ]
A private room on the men's ward, because of privacy concerns. 13%  13%  [ 6 ]
I have no opinion either way. 13%  13%  [ 6 ]
A private room on the women's ward, provided that placement on the men's ward would increase the risk of harm to the patient. 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
A private room on the women's ward, because if the patient is already living as a woman then she should be treated like one, but have her own private room for privacy concerns. 58%  58%  [ 28 ]
Total votes : 48

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2014, 10:47 am

Sometimes, a pre-op transsexual woman (pre-op = has not had sex reassignment surgery, but wants it), frustrated with her state, will attempt suicide, requiring placement in a psychiatric facility. Psychiatric facilities divide men and women, either by having separate wards for them or by having separate semi-private room placements. For this poll, let us look at the situation of separate wards for men and women; generally a transsexual person will be given their own private room. Let us assume this pre-op transsexual woman has been living full-time as a woman and is currently on hormone replacement therapy. Where should we place her?

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2014, 11:33 am

One should be treated as ones preferred/desired gender nowadays in the UK this is so.

Gender is between the ears not between the legs!

InTheDeepEnd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Apr 2014, 11:42 am

My local psych hospital does not have separate wards for men and women. They do not have private rooms, either, or co-ed rooms.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2014, 12:10 pm

iceb wrote:
One should be treated as ones preferred/desired gender nowadays in the UK this is so.

This is the way that I also see it.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2014, 2:16 pm

Huh. The psych ward at the hospital in my city doesn't have separate rooms for gender or private rooms. I know the UK has much better medical care than Canada, which is only slightly less horrible than the US. Also they don't separate patients in rooms based on the severity of their mental illness. Years ago I once had to share a room with a woman who kept trying to strangle herself by wrapping a short towel around her neck. :(

And my city is not even a real city, but more of a large hick town with a couple of city-type characteristics. I'm not sure if they would be tolerant of someone openly transgender. It's surprising enough that we even have a pride parade once a year. There must be at least 50 churches in this city!

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2014, 2:23 pm

She should be placed in the women's ward. She's living like a woman, she IS a woman in all ways except for the weiner. She's no threat to the women and in fact it would probably help her be more receptive to therapy and treatment to be treated with the respect she deserves as the person who she is.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2014, 2:37 pm

The poll would be better if you left out the "because" part of the options. There are reasons other than the ones you've given to choose the various options.

Also, there's no such thing as men "living full-time as women." Womanhood is not a lifestyle.

InTheDeepEnd wrote:
My local psych hospital does not have separate wards for men and women. They do not have private rooms, either, or co-ed rooms.

What the heck do they have then? One giant one-room warehouse?

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2014, 4:19 pm

iceb wrote:

That's ridiculous. Gender is in one's DNA. Period.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2014, 4:30 pm

Willard wrote:
iceb wrote:

Actually, there are several dimensions to considering a person's sex/gender:

1. DNA
2. Type of gonads present, if they are (if not, then neuter)
3. Primary sexual characteristics; may be mixed
4. Secondary sexual characteristics present, if they are (if not, then neuter); may be mixed
5. Dominant sex hormone regime, androgens is male, estrogens/progestogens is female, and otherwise is neuter
6. Sex/gender identity
7. Sex/gender role

A pre-op transsexual woman is like this:

1. male
2. male, unless orchiectomy has been performed, then neuter
3. male
4. male if not on hormones, mixed moving to female if on hormones
5. male if not on hormones and no orchiectomy, and neuter if not on hormones but had orchiectomy, and female if on hormones
6. female
7. male if not transitioned, female otherwise

A post-op transsexual woman graduates to:

1. male
2. neuter
3. close to female
4. largely female, but may still have some male characteristics like facial hair
5. neuter if not on hormones, female if on hormones
6. female
7. female

A woman with Complete Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome who still has her testes is like this:

1. male
2. male
3. close to female
4. female
5. a bit complicated: androgens are produced (male), but since they are not used by the body they are switched to estrogens (female)
6. female (almost 100%)
7. female

Last edited by beneficii on 05 Apr 2014, 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2014, 4:35 pm

beneficii wrote:
Willard wrote:
iceb wrote:

No there aren't. Sex is defined as the reproductive role one is equipped to play. Either one can sire children, one can bear children, or neither. As for "gender," I won't comment on that because everyone has their own definition nowadays, so it's impossible to know what anyone is referring to.
Quote:
DNA
Type of gonads present, if they are (if not, then neuter)
Primary sexual characteristics; may be mixed
Secondary sexual characteristics present, if they are (if not, then neuter); may be mixed
Dominant sex hormone regime, androgens is male, estrogens/progestogens is female, and otherwise is neuter
Sex/gender identity
Sex/gender role

Some of these other things correlate with sex, but none of them determine one's sex.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2014, 4:42 pm

starkid wrote:
beneficii wrote:
Willard wrote:
iceb wrote:

No there aren't. Sex is defined as the reproductive role one is equipped to play. Either one can sire children, one can bear children, or neither.
Quote:
DNA
Type of gonads present, if they are (if not, then neuter)
Primary sexual characteristics; may be mixed
Secondary sexual characteristics present, if they are (if not, then neuter); may be mixed
Dominant sex hormone regime, androgens is male, estrogens/progestogens is female, and otherwise is neuter
Sex/gender identity
Sex/gender role

Some of these other things correlate with sex, but none of them determine one's sex.

Nope. It can get complicated; here's a source that discusses it:

http://www.hawaii.edu/PCSS/biblio/artic ... ction.html

(scroll down to point 2 on sexual development)

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2014, 4:54 pm

beneficii wrote:

Littler or none of that has any bearing on sex. Behavior is not sex. Hormones are not sex. Thoughts are not sex. Socialization is not sex. Do people go out and observe the behavior of horses, pigs, or cows to determine their sex? Do they try to figure out what their dogs, cats, fish, and hampsters are thinking, whether monkeys display homosexual behavior, or what sorts of hormones elephants and tigers were exposed to? No, because an animal's sex is its reproductive function, and that's all.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2014, 5:06 pm

starkid wrote:
beneficii wrote:

Littler or none of that has any bearing on sex. Behavior is not sex. Hormones are not sex. Thoughts are not sex. Socialization is not sex. Do people go out and observe the behavior of horses, pigs, or cows to determine their sex? Do they try to figure out what their dogs, cats, fish, and hampsters are thinking, whether monkeys display homosexual behavior, or what sorts of hormones elephants and tigers were exposed to? No, because an animal's sex is its reproductive function, and that's all.

So how do we determine the sex of sterile people? Do we classify them as neuter?

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2014, 5:31 pm

beneficii wrote:
So how do we determine the sex of sterile people? Do we classify them as neuter?

If they can't reproduce, there is nothing to determine. Sex is a scientific classification system. I can't think of a scientific reason to reproductively classify those who cannot reproduce, except to say that they cannot reproduce. It would be like classifying flight patterns of flightless birds.

But let me ask you something that I don't understand: If sex is made up of those things you listed, what exactly is it? What is the meaning or significance of it, being made up of so many wildly diverse components? What definition could you give it? And in the end, how would one determine which sex someone was? For example, if I had a list like you did:

1. male
2. male
3. female,
etc., for the different aspects, how would I put it all together?

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2014, 5:52 pm

starkid wrote:
beneficii wrote:

If they can't reproduce, there is nothing to determine. Sex is a scientific classification system. I can't think of a scientific reason to reproductively classify those who cannot reproduce, except to say that they cannot reproduce. It would be like classifying flight patterns of flightless birds.

But let me ask you something that I don't understand: If sex is made up of those things you listed, what exactly is it? What is the meaning or significance of it, being made up of so many wildly diverse components? What definition could you give it? And in the end, how would one determine which sex someone was? For example, if I had a list like you did:

1. male
2. male
3. female,
etc., for the different aspects, how would I put it all together?

I was just saying that for some people, they have unusual bodies and minds, so to speak, that differ from the 2 reproductive sexes. It's a way of laying it all out there and seeing which of 2 reproductive sexes is this feature more like? Of course, with the current binary classification of sticking someone as either male or female, what do you do with the sterile people?

stabilator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Apr 2014, 8:54 pm

A transwoman should not have to be forced to live with regular men if she does not want to. She would probably feel alienated and possibly have concerns about her safety with regards to other people living there who may be hostile to her because of her gender identity.

Maybe she should either have a separate set aside living area, or be allowed to live in a women's ward if she thinks the women will treat her okay.