Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2014, 11:45 pm

billiscool wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
My wife's pretty liberal, and she's happy.
Seriously, this black-and-white take on conservatives happy, healthy, and wealthy vs. sad, sick, and poor liberals of yours is just your opinion, regardless of polls.

I have studies to back me up.

What do your studies change about the fact that anyway how the majority of other people do, I am the person that I am, and I´d not be happy in an conservative relationship? If you dont like football, does it help you, that 80% of other males like it? ^^

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2014, 9:06 am

Maybe Republicans are happy because they don't worry about anything.
Liberals worry about climate change,human rights,and stuff that really matters,not a fat bank roll.

SinewStew
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Apr 2014, 2:04 am

billiscool wrote:
http://www.ijreview.com/2013/12/104629-just-secret-happiness-conservative-woman/

http://www.bubblews.com/news/1921603-co ... re-happier

I told you folks,that living a conservative lifestyle is more
healthy for women(and men,too)

Neither of those are legitimate peer reviewed journals. Therefore, whatever you have gleaned from them is non-empirical and thus invalid. It may behove one to become a good consumer of information prior to posting embarrassing, "data" while using a glaring double superlative in the title of the same post. With that said, I think there may be validity to your hypothesis. However, the causal variables might not be particularly flattering for a social conservative. As a scientist I am excruciatingly aware. I do not base my ideas on mythology nor am I stuck at Kohlberg's first level of moral development. Knowing as opposed to blindly believing is a precarious psychological state to be in when your country is run by ignorant Young Earth Christians. I am not as happy-go-lucky as a person who has an unyielding stagnate view of the world. If an individual does not seek, their world is small and easily managed. For those few who do seek their universe is infinite and in constant peril at the hands of the obtuse.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2014, 5:19 am

This person is very conservative
Link
Doesn't seem very happy though

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2014, 6:17 am

... just for the lulz:

In 2013, the UN released the "World Happiness Report" where they ranked countries on the basis of happiness (by using Gallup survey data).

Source: http://unsdsn.org/resources/publication ... port-2013/ (see page 9-10 for definitions)

Here is the top 10 (from page 22 in the above link):

1. Denmark
2. Norway
3. Switzerland
4. Netherlands
5. Sweden
6. Canada
7. Finland
8. Austria
9. Iceland
10. Australia

(The United States is at # 17)

Furthermore, here are the 10 least religious countries in the world (a likely indicator of low levels of conservatism):

1. Sweden
2. Denmark
3. Estonia
4. Norway
5. Hong Kong
6. Netherlands
7. Japan
8. Czech Republic
9. United Kingdom
10. Finland

(the United States is at # 42)

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Importance ... #Countries

Countries in bold are the ones who also make it to the Happiness Top 10 list.

So the "Conservative Happiness Hypothesis" (recently advanced by social psychologist Jonathan Haidt in his book The Righteous Mind) seems to encounter a very serious obstacle once international data is included.

Summary:

Jonathan Haidt in "The Righteous Mind" (page 262) wrote:
Might conservatives have a better formula for how to create a healthy, happy society?

Preliminary answer: