http://www.ijreview.com/2013/12/104629- ... ive-woman/

http://www.bubblews.com/news/1921603-co ... re-happier

I told you folks,that living a conservative lifestyle is more
healthy for women(and men,too)

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2014, 6:28 pm

It could be a case of happy people choosing conservatism rather than conservatism causing happiness though. Conservatives tend to like to maintain the status quo (I think because it works for them,) but if I was happy about things I would probably join the party most like to keep things as they are.
This isn't to say that there are no happy liberals which would be silly, but liberalism does tend to champion those who are struggling.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2014, 1:23 am

My wife's pretty liberal, and she's happy.
Seriously, this black-and-white take on conservatives happy, healthy, and wealthy vs. sad, sick, and poor liberals of yours is just your opinion, regardless of polls.

billiscool
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2014, 1:49 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Seriously, this black-and-white take on conservatives happy, healthy, and wealthy vs. sad, sick, and poor liberals of yours is just your opinion, regardless of polls.

I have studies to back me up.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2014, 3:23 am

billiscool wrote:
http://www.ijreview.com/2013/12/104629-just-secret-happiness-conservative-woman/

http://www.bubblews.com/news/1921603-co ... re-happier

I told you folks,that living a conservative lifestyle is more
healthy for women(and men,too)

Well, if Faux News says so, it much be true. :roll:

TheBicyclingGuitarist
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2014, 4:25 am

Note that the following is about being "conservative" as it is practiced in the USA. I understand that this label has different connotations in different countries or cultures.

From my personal observations as a voting adult the past thirty-five years, conservative lifestyle in the USA usually means either being a religious anti-science nut job out to legislate other people's private lives, or a greedy selfish short-sighted businessman out to exploit other people unfairly and rape and pollute the planet to make a quick buck regardless of the consequences to present or future generations. Some conservatives may be mainly about limited government, but frequently it is because they are one of the two subgroups listed above and it fits their agenda.

So how is that a healthy lifestyle for themselves or for everyone else they f*ck with?

As for conservatives being happier, maybe it is because they are so ignorant on so many subjects or too stupid to realize the consequences of their choices? To me, conservatives are closer to evil than good (especially if they do realize the consequences of their choices), and what makes it worse is they have the balls to try to say they have the moral high ground when they most certainly do NOT!

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2014, 5:25 am

billiscool wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I have studies to back me up.

When u actively look for sources to back you up, they usually lack integrity should someone really investigate. When you search these numbers, try using a different set of terms for the same question. You will more than likely get different results

don't become attached to facts just because they agree with you. There are reports for everyone of your that will disagree with you
\

TheBicyclingGuitarist
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2014, 5:30 am

Studies based on asking people questions can be very biased in how the questions are worded and what choices are offered as answers. Asking the same thing but phrasing it differently can result in opposite answers from the same person being asked!

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2014, 8:00 am

Stepford wives.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

06 Apr 2014, 11:15 am

It's good to see you starting to use evidence to support your statements, Bill :)

However, I think you're reading too much into the study.

It doesn't say "conservative women are happier, therefore conservatism causes happiness". It just says "conservative women are happier".

It could be that conservatism causes happiness. It could be that, as Ann suggests, happiness tends to cause conservatism (conservatives are people who like the way the world is, after all).

It could be that something else causes both conservatism and happiness, and makes it appear like there's a direct link between them. This is known as a confounding variable. As cannotthinkoff points out, intelligence is a possibility:

cannotthinkoff wrote:
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-scientific-fundamentalist/201003/why-liberals-are-more-intelligent-conservatives

http://www.pickthebrain.com/blog/why-in ... e-unhappy/

Another: conservatives tend to be rich and white. These people have an easier life than poor, non-white people. You would need to control for these factors to see that they were not confounding.

Another: conservatives tend to be old. Old people are generally happier than young people. Perhaps being old is confounding?

Atom1966
Toucan
Toucan

06 Apr 2014, 2:14 pm

The only reason why conservative people may be happier than people who do have a brain is the fact that they are totally out of sync with reality.

TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2014, 3:34 pm

This is exactly the kind of opinion I'd expect an unironic fan of Brock Lesner to have.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2014, 6:31 pm

Atom1966 wrote:
The only reason why conservative people may be happier than people who do have a brain is the fact that they are totally out of sync with reality.

:lol: :lmao: :lol: Yes, that is true.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2014, 7:48 pm

Ignorance is bliss.

Kuku
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Apr 2014, 8:09 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the ... happiness/

http://pewresearch.org/files/old-assets ... ppyYet.pdf

Quote:
"Of course, there’s a more obvious explanation for the Republicans’ happiness edge. Republicans tend to have
more money than Democrats, and --as we’ve already discovered-- people who have more money tend to be
happier

But even this explanation only goes so far. If one controls for household income, Republicans still hold a
significant edge: that is, poor Republicans are happier than poor Democrats
; middle-income Republicans are
happier than middle-income Democrats, and rich Republicans are happier than rich Democrats.

Might ideology be the key? It’s true that conservatives, who are more likely to be Republican, are happier than
liberals, who are more likely to be Democrats. But even controlling for this ideological factor, a significant
partisan gap remains. Conservative Republicans are happier than conservative Democrats, and moderate/liberal
Republicans are happier than liberal Democrats
. Hmmm, what other factors might be at play? Well, there’s
always… "