Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2014, 2:52 pm

[img][800:600]http://i00.c.aliimg.com/img/ibank/2012/135/184/689481531_880123121.jpg[/img]

A security token generates a number that's valid for 60 seconds, which you'll have to type in next to your username and password. Unless you physically steal this token, a keylogger is useless.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2014, 3:12 pm

^ Not seen them before. My banks (France and England) have never mentioned them.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2014, 3:24 pm

In my honest opinion, they should be mandatory. Each token has a unique key, a clock that's used for seed, and a secret algorithm that's different for every bank, making it impossible to guess what the next code is going to be. It's a really ingenious device.

Few things can go wrong with the "something you know, something you have" model.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

13 Apr 2014, 7:13 pm

Fogman wrote:
Writing malware code to affect the remaining XP users isn't going to make a very big splash.

Malware coders are like graffiti 'artists', in the fact that they want their craft to cause as much publicity as possible. Going after just XP isn't a very attractive target in that respect.
Depending on which site is checked, 25-30% of desktop PCs are supposedly still running WinXP - there are also many ATMs and other systems powered by it.
I would think that "bigger splash" could be made by anyone who finally kills if off through malware - especially as XP is now incapable of fighting back.
Time will tell...

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

13 Apr 2014, 7:14 pm

Kurgan wrote:
In my honest opinion, they should be mandatory.
Agreed.
IIRC my bank can provide them for business customers only, which seems to be saying "we're aware of the greater security they provide, but we just don't care enough about you private customers". :?

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2014, 7:25 pm

Cornflake wrote:
Kurgan wrote:
In my honest opinion, they should be mandatory.
Agreed.
IIRC my bank can provide them for business customers only, which seems to be saying "we're aware of the greater security they provide, but we just don't care enough about you private customers". :?

That's a shame. They're barely more expensive to manufacture than a common calculator.