Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2014, 10:56 pm

I was wondering - how many of you allow yourselves to be yourselves (Aspie and all) in public and how many of you only allow yourselves to be Aspie when you're at home or alone.

How does your Aspieness present itself and why don't you allow yourselves to just act naturally while you're out? Who stims in public and how?

Has anyone found themselves being themselves in ways they wouldn't have done say, 12 months ago? What allowed you to change?

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

Alyosha
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Apr 2014, 11:19 pm

Well I am not an aspie I am diagnosed with autism, but I stim in public. Because if I don't then I fall down more, and I can't centre myself, and I get confused and distressed. I have always done this, and I think I always well so nothing has allowed me to change.

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2014, 11:22 pm

ImAnAspie wrote:
I was wondering - how many of you allow yourselves to be yourselves (Aspie and all) in public and how many of you only allow yourselves to be Aspie when you're at home or alone.

How does your Aspieness present itself and why don't you allow yourselves to just act naturally while you're out? Who stims in public and how?

Has anyone found themselves being themselves in ways they wouldn't have done say, 12 months ago? What allowed you to change?

You can be the aspie you want in public, but people need to remember some behaviors in public are not acceptable. Having a meltdown and then dropping to the ground and rocking back and forth is one of them, randomly waving and flapping your hands and arms in public is another.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2014, 11:29 pm

DVCal wrote:
ImAnAspie wrote:

You can be the aspie you want in public, but people need to remember some behaviors in public are not acceptable. Having a meltdown and then dropping to the ground and rocking back and forth is one of them, randomly waving and flapping your hands and arms in public is another.

I think flapping your arms and hands in public is okay as long you as you are willing to deal with people staring at you and treating you differently.

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2014, 11:30 pm

DevilKisses wrote:
DVCal wrote:
ImAnAspie wrote:

I think flapping your arms and hands in public is okay as long you as you are willing to deal with people staring at you and treating you differently.

Just remember act low functioning, don't be shocked when you are treated like you are low functioning.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2014, 11:35 pm

DVCal wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:
DVCal wrote:
ImAnAspie wrote:

Just remember act low functioning, don't be shocked when you are treated like you are low functioning.

That is why I avoid doing anything that will make me look autistic.

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2014, 11:47 pm

Just be be clear, I am not saying anyone should be treated poorly for rocking and such in public, just don't be shocked if you are treated poorly.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2014, 12:25 am

What else am I supposed to do, I fail at acting 'normal' and if I am not why should I act that way....unless I am in danger I see no reason to put on an act, of course if I feel in danger and that coming off as particularly odd will cause problems I'd try to act normal not sure I'd succeed but yeah if need be I'd try but in most situations my life is not in danger if I don't act normal.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2014, 12:53 am

I have been known to rock and flap in public. I also pace, chew on and pick my fingers in public and at work. Those who work around me are used to it (I guess). They don't do or say anything. Half the time I'm not even aware I'm doing it until I catch myself doing it. I work in an Equal Employment environment - very friendly and against descrimination. They also know I'm smart and brilliant at programming and they benefit from this so I guess they're willing to overlook a little stimming now and again.

Now, as to what they're really thinking,... I don't know and I don't really care :)

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2014, 1:19 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
What else am I supposed to do, I fail at acting 'normal' and if I am not why should I act that way....unless I am in danger I see no reason to put on an act, of course if I feel in danger and that coming off as particularly odd will cause problems I'd try to act normal not sure I'd succeed but yeah if need be I'd try but in most situations my life is not in danger if I don't act normal.

Some autistic behaviors can look suspiscious to the police.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2014, 1:49 am

I meow, growl, and state "Nobody messes with the Wolfman in public. I bang my head moderately on poles when impatient. People look at me funny, walk away, laugh, and inquire into my behavior. My inward reactions vary.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2014, 2:07 am

I know adverse reactions to odd stimming behaviour or talking to oneself are "normal" but I can't help but be angry that we should have to accept the stares and disturbed expressions just for being ourselves. In an ideal world, we could be who we are without anyone caring. Meltdowns, I admit, are not really okay, but rather than calling the cops (unless we're threatening or hurting people), I wish people would learn to walk away and leave us alone. When I'm excited or overwhelmed and trying to contain a meltdown, I rock, flap, cover my ears, and I wish I didn't have to suppress my natural way of expressing myself because people think it's weird. It would be like humans trying to suppress a smile or a laugh because the aliens they live among think they're weird or creepy if they do that.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2014, 2:26 am

StarTrekker wrote:
I know adverse reactions to odd stimming behaviour or talking to oneself are "normal" but I can't help but be angry that we should have to accept the stares and disturbed expressions just for being ourselves. In an ideal world, we could be who we are without anyone caring. Meltdowns, I admit, are not really okay, but rather than calling the cops (unless we're threatening or hurting people), I wish people would learn to walk away and leave us alone. When I'm excited or overwhelmed and trying to contain a meltdown, I rock, flap, cover my ears, and I wish I didn't have to suppress my natural way of expressing myself because people think it's weird. It would be like humans trying to suppress a smile or a laugh because the aliens they live among think they're weird or creepy if they do that.

If i was walking down the street and I saw someone sit down on the sidewalk and start rocking, flapping their hands, and such I would immediately get to other side of the street and get away from them as quickly possible. No one wants to be around something like this. Sorry but it is true.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2014, 3:23 am

DVCal wrote:
StarTrekker wrote:

If i was walking down the street and I saw someone sit down on the sidewalk and start rocking, flapping their hands, and such I would immediately get to other side of the street and get away from them as quickly possible. No one wants to be around something like this. Sorry but it is true.

No, it's not true. Not everyone is as disturbed by stimming as you are. You are not alone in your extreme reaction, but you do not speak for every other person out there.

I'm a pretty stimmy person, and ss far as I know, most people don't really care. Whatever negative reactions people may have, they aren't that extreme .... I don't find that I have a giant bubble of space around me everywhere I go; People sit next to me on the bus and every so often grandmotherly ladies talk to me about produce in the grocery store.

Friends, family, acquaintences and many sets of coworkers have not cared. They have commented, thought it was funny, teased me, been curious and even been concerned, but nobody has ever been mean or disrespectful about it, nor did they see it as something horrible, shameful or inappropriate.

Love transcends all.

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2014, 3:48 am

animalcrackers wrote:
DVCal wrote:
StarTrekker wrote:

No, it's not true. Not everyone is as disturbed by stimming as you are. You are not alone in your extreme reaction, but you do not speak for every other person out there.

I'm a pretty stimmy person, and ss far as I know, most people don't really care. Whatever negative reactions people may have, they aren't that extreme .... I don't find that I have a giant bubble of space around me everywhere I go; People sit next to me on the bus and every so often grandmotherly ladies talk to me about produce in the grocery store.

Friends, family, acquaintences and many sets of coworkers have not cared. They have commented, thought it was funny, teased me, been curious and even been concerned, but nobody has ever been mean or disrespectful about it, nor did they see it as something horrible, shameful or inappropriate.

I don't think all public stimming is bad, just ones that are noticable and draw attention such as rocking and flapping. Something mundane such as tapping a finger on your side, wouldn't be noticed or cared by many I think.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2014, 3:55 am

DVCal wrote:
StarTrekker wrote:

I;d try to understand what was going on, or I'd guess it was an autistic thing from what I already know. I wouldn't avoid them. I have seen NTs with more threatening or worrying behaviour Ie bullying, aggression, fighting. Now that does scare me. But not someone rocking or flapping their hands. Seems harmless enough bless them.