Questions for women about the online dating experience

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Vomelche
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2014, 2:23 pm

I have some questions for the women about online dating, as I am curious about the psychology and statistics of it. Also, the answers would hopefully give some tips to the guys on what to expect. Please answer below, you don't have to answer each one.

What is your opinion about online dating, do you see any challenges?

Do you find having to go online takes away some of the romance from the dating experience?

How many new messages do you receive per week, and how many do you open/respond to (Exact numbers optional)?

Do you read the messenger's profile before choosing respond?

Do you prefer to search and initiate contact, or to be contacted instead?

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2014, 7:11 pm

Quote:

Its a challenge not being able to feel chemistry and get to know someone properly, yes.

Quote:
Do you find having to go online takes away some of the romance from the dating experience?

No, but I'm not a fan of dating in general. I would rather make friends.

Quote:
How many new messages do you receive per week, and how many do you open/respond to (Exact numbers optional)?

Depends how active you are. Mine range from 5 or so to 200ish

Quote:

Not always, but mostly. It depends what they say.

Quote:

I sometimes initiate contact.

Eureka13
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2014, 7:29 pm

Vomelche wrote:

Same answer as hale_bopp.

Quote:

Same answer as hale_bopp.

Quote:

5-20. I read all of them. I respond to those who at least appear to have read my profile.

Quote:

Almost always. Can't think of a time when I haven't.

Quote:

It doesn't really matter to me, although I'd prefer not to be contacted by someone who hasn't read my profile. If I see someone who interests me greatly, I will initiate contact.

I met the love of my life on a dating site, and I was the one to initiate contact. (I'd still be with him if he were alive.)

In all of my experiences on dating site, I have talked to maybe a dozen total different men (more than one exchange). In two cases, I was the one to discontinue communication; in all other cases, the guy was the one to discontinue communication. I assumed that someone better came along.

I met two others besides my late fiance. One of those I declined to see again after two dates; the other never contacted me again after one date.

Shterna
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Apr 2014, 7:45 am

Quote:
The problem is in the accuracy of information. People can describe a fictional character and not themselves.

Quote:
Any relationship need to switch into reality, but it possible to start online.

Quote:
Very little. I'm rarely visit on dating sites.

Quote:
Always. I've been reading the profile and think how to answer. If there is a birth date, I build the astrological chart and see the person's character.

Quote:
To be contacted. I hesitate to initiate contact, even in reality. :oops: :roll:

Vomelche
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 2:13 pm

Good answers so far. I agree that there is less chemistry when you don't see the person face to face.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 3:47 pm

Quote:

It's the easiest method for me to get a date, and to find like-minded people. I don't really see any challenges that don't exist in other methods.

Quote:

Yes, but I don't mind.

Quote:

Maybe 1-5. Probably only one or two would be more than just "hey" or a cut and paste job. I might respond to one per week or two.

Quote:

Always.

Quote:

I initiate contact when I find someone I want to get to know. But I prefer when others contact be, just because I know they are at least a bit interested (the ones who send thoughtful messages that is). I think most people probably feel that way.

Vomelche
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2014, 12:47 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Some advice to men I can draw from this and my experiences. Online dating may or may not work for you, since different people go into online dating for different reasons and have mixed feelings about it. It is an additional tool to increase your exposure to people. Its a game of numbers and the odds are low, the only thing you can do to improve your results is put a bit of time into creating your messages and create a genuine profile, but at the end of the day its finding that elusive perfect match.

LoveforLoki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Apr 2014, 12:47 pm

yellowtamarin wrote:
Quote:

I met my husband online, it wasn't a dating service but it was perfect for me.

Quote:

Not at all, in fact it made the romance even better because our relationship was not based on sex alone, we really got to know each other.

Quote:

I spoke everyday with my husband, we used MSN messenger.

Quote:

Most do.

Quote:

I think it depends solely on the person, what they like, some are timid and scared to contact others and some just do it.

YourMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2014, 1:04 pm

Quote:

The main challenge was the huge amount of messages I received. Also there were persistent creepy dudes who tried to digitally neg me (I had no idea what that was, they tried pua tricks on me but I was just like''.... wtf?'') or suddenly in a creepy way got pushy about sex and wouldn't leave me. But the sheer amount of messages to read and perhaps reply to was a challenge for me. It was overwhelming so I deleted my account(s). Besides, I think I prefer to meet people IRL in a non-dating setting first.
Quote:

Not per se, no.
Quote:

I don't have a clue, sorry.
Quote:

I did when I was doubting whether this person's interesting for me. When a message was funny or interesting enough I just responded to that one.
Quote:

Be contacted.