MISFIT TOYS - What is your opinion of movie title?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

messner
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Apr 2014, 3:50 pm

Hi everyone!

We have just finished a film following a family with two children on the spectrum for 16 months.

We are thinking about using the title "MISFIT TOYS"

What is your opinion of the title?

THANK YOU !

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2014, 4:06 pm

Mm, I'm not sure, it could be taken the wrong way, like autistics are damaged or malfunctioning. Not to mention, you might face a copyright lawsuit from the makers of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and the Island of Misfit Toys. Perhaps ask the families you followed how they feel about the title.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2014, 4:41 pm

Like StarTrekker said you might be opening yourself for a lawsuit if you use that name. I would think of another. Sometimes I do feel like one of the misfit toys though but I would be careful with that name your legal copyright reasons.

Wreck It Ralph

messner
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Apr 2014, 5:40 pm

Copyright isn't an issue

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2014, 6:58 pm

I sort of second what StarTrekker and Skibum said, especially about the connotations of the title might have that StarTrekker mentioned.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2014, 7:23 pm

messner wrote:
Copyright isn't an issue
That's good to know.
Welcome to WP by the way! :D

Actually., to be honest, I don't like the title for a film about Autistic toddlers. If the movie was about me, even though I feel that way sometimes about myself, I would be hurt that someone else would say it or think it about me. It sounds mean. Personally, if you want to go with a movie title, I would rather you call it "Beautiful Minds."

Wreck It Ralph

messner
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Apr 2014, 7:44 pm

That is pretty good

Any others?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2014, 7:48 pm

I like the idea, being that I am a Misfit.

Quill
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2014, 8:24 pm

I like it quite a bit myself.

messner
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Apr 2014, 1:42 am

From one of the miss in the movie. Is it offensive though?

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 6:09 am

I could see some people getting offended by it.
I mean, the misfit toys in the movie are very sweet and we love them but on the other hand. something about it as describing your disabled children does not sit right with me. My husband and I have described ourselves that way (He is NT but he has his own personality quirks) and it is one thing to describe yourself that way but for other people to call you that, I don't know, it just doesn't feel very nice to me. And like StarTrekker said, we are not broken and sometimes it can be hard for people to understand that. It took me a long time to understand that I am not broken and that I was worthy of love and respect just like everyone else. And the toys were worthy of love and respect but they were actually broken. I don't want people to think that I am broken and that there is something "Wrong" with me because I am Aspie, Different, yes, wrong, no.

Wreck It Ralph

messner
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Apr 2014, 7:09 am

From one of the miss in the movie. Is it offensive though?

messner
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Apr 2014, 7:14 am

It is true to the movie - one of the kids says that he feels like he is like one of them - a misfit toy.

Would wrong planet be offensive as a title?

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

08 Apr 2014, 10:12 am

Wrong Planet is already taken. :wink:
See the foot of every page, where it says: "Wrong Planet is a Registered Trademark."

messner
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Apr 2014, 10:55 am

I'm not saying to use it (however you cannot trademark a movie name -- that's why there are so many identical names) my point is, is that as offensive as "Misfit Toys?"

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 11:39 am

I don't think Wrong Planet is offensive because it does not describe the person directly. Wrong planet is from a feeling we as Spectrumites have sometimes because we feel like we don't fit anywhere in the society that embodies most cultures. So yes, in a sense we are like the Misfit Toys in that way. The difference is one is describing a feeling the person has, the other is describing the person directly. The implication behind Misfit Toys is that you are broken and that is why you don't belong. All the Misfit Toys in the movie were broken and that is why they could not make it into Santa's bag. Each toy had something wrong with it that made it sub par. We still loved the Misfit Toys but they were not good enough to make it out of the shop because they were broken. Autistic people are not broken. We are not sub par. Sometimes we can feel that way because of how we are treated by society or even because of the challenges we have with certain things. I feel that way especially when it comes to some Executive Function type things. They Misfit toys were broken by definition. That is why they were called Misfit Toys. If they had just had just been like Dennis the elf Dentist that would had been very different. He was a misfit because he had a different perspective on life and on things but he was not broken. Or even better, Rudolph. He was a misfit because his nose was red and shiny, not because he did not have a nose or because his nose was broken. In fact both Dennis and Rudolph were able to rise up and do phenomenal things because of their specialness and they became heroes in the movie.

This is more how I like to see us. We have different perspectives because of our neurology but we are just as intact as NT's. IF the Misfits had all been like Dennis and Rudolph and had not had a bunch of broken parts, than I would think that that would be a very cute and fitting title. But just the implication that we are are intact as people is why I think it's a bit mean. But Wrong planet works because it relates to a feeling that we get not to who we directly are.

I also wonder if the title of Misfit Toys for Autistic kids will encourage bullying by other kids who hear of or see the movie.

Does this make sense? It's just how I feel.

Wreck It Ralph