failure to control facial expressions when the mind wanders

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

AspiringNT
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Apr 2014, 7:40 pm

Hi i'm 22 and have asperger's. Does anyone else lose control of their facial expressions when experiencing emotions that reflect their thoughts when their mind is wandering? I feel that this is my biggest weakness when it comes to putting on a facade for human interaction. Is the problem that i allow my mind to wander too much? Or is it that i need to work on control of my facial expressions in order to appear more 'in tune' with NTs? Or should i just learn to accept that this is the way i am and there's no point trying to hide it?

i hope people can relate.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2014, 8:07 pm

Other than a constant look of preoccupation and stress, I don't think I generally have much of a facial expression. :?

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2014, 8:21 pm

AspiringNT wrote:
Does anyone else lose control of their facial expressions when experiencing emotions that reflect their thoughts when their mind is wandering?

Yes, I can relate to that. I became aware of it when I was 10. I actually tend to have more facial expressions when I daydream and think than when I interact with someone.

My opinion is that your wandering mind isn't a problem. What you need is to stay in control of your expressions. I think there is a good point in hiding it.
It's a struggle, but it's worth it.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2014, 8:23 pm

Yep, but I try to watch it in public. I have a tendency to start talking to myself too, unawares. :oops:

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2014, 10:36 pm

yes, it is very important to cultivate a stone face.

AspiringNT
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Apr 2014, 6:34 am

Thanks a lot everyone. All of your replies have been really helpful.

AspiringNT
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Apr 2014, 6:44 am

Willard wrote:
Other than a constant look of preoccupation and stress, I don't think I generally have much of a facial expression. :?

Yes I get this problem mainly when I'm at work. It makes me really unapproachable and even intimidating to others, especially when I'm struggling to control my anger which I find very difficult.

Eccles_the_Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 11:34 am

Guilty :D The girlfriend can always tell when I'm bored because she reckons that my face muscles relax. Inside my mind is drifting and the topic can be anything from something technical to a nice bit of Vivaldi.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 11:39 am

I do tend to scowl a lot when relaxed. My forehead develops a frown, and if I pay attention to it, I can feel I am frowning and I have to raise my eyebrows every so often to get rid of the frown. I think it's because I am depressed though, and usually on my own. When I'm with somebody I feel a lot happier.

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 1:30 pm

I read in some places it is a trait of aspergers to not have facial expressions or have expressions that don't match the feeling. Well, for me it is exactly the opposite, My facial expression match my feelings, even when it is not appropriate to do so. For instance, an aunt comes to talk to me and says something I don't like, I make a grim face at her and she gets upset. I am not aware of doing this, my mother tells me so. When I am in a party and bored for instance I am not good at masking it. Worst situation is when I am playing cards and can't pretend I have awesome cards when I have lame ones :lol: I am AWFUL at bluffing.
I too talk to myself when my mind wanders, I may even make expressions or laugh. Well, I can't help you because I do the same.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 5:09 pm

Just pretend that you're someone else.

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Apr 2014, 3:59 am

I have the problem exactly as described. I have aspie stare episodes every day and have the same issue with uncontrolled facial expressions. In worst case scenarios I start talking to myself although thankfully this is not that common. I have to be 110% engaged in what I do or else I am at risk of switching off. Its either 110% or -10% in my case. I am a successful person built on what I sometimes refer to as a 'go big or go home' philosophy for life. I have found it helpful to share my aspergers challenges with a few trusted people in the workplace. Those people can be very helpful in prodding me to snap out of it and to generally be empathetic.

opal
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2014, 4:59 am

Yes I have this problem

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2014, 3:40 pm

Jabberwokky wrote:
I have to be 110% engaged in what I do or else I am at risk of switching off. Its either 110% or -10% in my case.

That's exactly the same for me.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

AspiringNT
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Apr 2014, 4:48 pm

linatet wrote:
I read in some places it is a trait of aspergers to not have facial expressions or have expressions that don't match the feeling. Well, for me it is exactly the opposite, My facial expression match my feelings, even when it is not appropriate to do so. For instance, an aunt comes to talk to me and says something I don't like, I make a grim face at her and she gets upset. I am not aware of doing this, my mother tells me so. When I am in a party and bored for instance I am not good at masking it. Worst situation is when I am playing cards and can't pretend I have awesome cards when I have lame ones :lol: I am AWFUL at bluffing.
I too talk to myself when my mind wanders, I may even make expressions or laugh. Well, I can't help you because I do the same.

Wow you just described me down to a T! Sometimes I think I consciously try to change my expression to what is socially expected but end up just making a really weird face that makes me look crazy. At parties I just get really drunk because alcohol makes me really happy and also gives me more confidence in my social skills. In fact without alcohol I would definitely have 0 friends.

IKnowWhoIAmNow
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Apr 2014, 5:12 pm

I have always had this sort of problem; when I am working hard concentrating or relaxed and thinking, I am utterly engrossed and my face just goes into random looks, often frowning. People often think I am angry when I am not.

One person described the faces of non-people-interacting autistic people as the equivalent of static on a TV screen.