Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

what do you do with worn-but-not-really-dirty clothes?
Put them in the wash 9%  9%  [ 9 ]
Put them back in the cupboard with the clean clothes 9%  9%  [ 9 ]
Hang them on a chair, door, hook, etc 25%  25%  [ 25 ]
leave them lying on a chair, bed, cupboard 25%  25%  [ 25 ]
Leave them on the floor 17%  17%  [ 17 ]
Don't take them off - just keep wearing them 13%  13%  [ 13 ]
Other 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 101

bnky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Apr 2014, 9:40 am

What do you do with worn but not really dirty clothes?
I can't put them back in the cupboard, although I'm told I should.

Eccles_the_Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 11:31 am

Looks like our group of 'leave it on the floor' is a rather large one. It drives the girlfriend nuts but I think she's starting to get used to it. As for the 'age' of the item of clothing, the smell test is your friend.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 11:54 am

We each have a bin where they go. That way they are not put back with clean clothes but they are not in the dirty hamper either. And I like that because we actually change into house clothes when we come home. This was actually a pretty common practice in my parent's generation where my family is from. It also helps with my OCD!:D We also have a little bin for the house clothes because they don't get very dirty. This system works really well especially if you don't have a ton of clothes because your clothes tend to stay cleaner longer and they are more organized that way so you can easily figure out what you are wearing and they don't clutter the floor or the rest of the room. It also cuts way down on the amount and frequency of having to do laundry. But that works for us.

Wreck It Ralph

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 12:02 pm

I tend to wear PJs at home and change into them once I get home, plus I only work part time hours, so the the clothes I wear to work are worn for so few hours that they can be worn maybe twice if it's cold weather, before I dump them in the laundry basket. After the first wearing I drape them on the back of a chair, though; I never throw them on the floor as I'm planning one more wear and don't want them wrinkled.

So I voted for chair.

I used to hang them up in the closet but not in their normal place, so I knew they had already "gone around once" as opposed to normal clothes rack with the clean clothes on it.

However, in the summer if it's warmer weather, and definitely when I used to live in a very hot location, when even the few hours the clothes are on me means I would have gotten a bit sweaty in them, they only get one wearing then it's straight into the laundry basket to wait for the once a week wash.

muna
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Apr 2014, 12:35 pm

I keep meaning to start a bin like skibum. That's a good idea. I have got to where I usually only have one floor pile, it stays in about the same spot, and the clothes in it are sometimes sort of folded...

AlienorAspie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Apr 2014, 12:55 pm

I find the not-really-dirty clothes thing is a massive issue in our house, because were both so unable to organise ourselves! They start on chairs but mainly end up on the floor :/ My OH mixes his with clean clothes and I cant deal with that and will wash them all again if they mix, maybe because Im v allergic to dust and don't have a sense of smell... how I wish I could rely on the smell test!

Im making a "plan" for dealing with my housework, and I will be investing in 2 more laundry bins for worn-once clothes now! :)

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 1:07 pm

Yeah, those bins make such a huge difference. It's amazing how much of an effect they have. I am like you AlienorAspie, I will just wash the clothes again if they happen to mix. I think that's an OCD thing of mine. My husband is one of those guys who would just leaves socks on the floor and clothes on chairs, he's definitely not as bad as other guys who never pick up their clothes but now that he has specific places to put dirty or once or twice worn clothes he is really good about putting the clothes where they go. And that makes it so much easier for me because sorting laundry is much easier. He also keeps clothes in the car so that if he needs to go somewhere after work he can change into tshirts and jeans or shorts if he does not want to go in his shirt and tie work clothes. So having the bins to designate what clothes go where helps so much. He used to just keep taking clothes from his dresser to keep in the car because he did not know what he had in the car and one time he had so many clothes in the car that he had almost none in his dresser. And those bins are so inexpensive. I love them and they have really helped me stay more organized.

Wreck It Ralph

muna

08 Apr 2014, 1:08 pm

My husband told me about a person who wore the same outfit every day like a cartoon character. That would simplify clothes because I wouldn't have both once worn clothes and a "rotation" for social appropriateness so people don't figure out I re-wear clothes. Problem is I like different colors sometimes.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 1:15 pm

I saw a documentary on Rod Stewart once and he was giving a tour of his house. He opened his closet to reveal about 50 identical white shirts. It's funny because you would think he was wearing the same shirt everyday. My husband is very particular about the colors he likes in shirts so he has shirts that look very similar to each other. People might think he only has a couple and wears the same ones every day but he has quite a few so that I don't have to wash them all the time. But it makes it easier for him to match his ties to his shirts when he is only dealing with a couple of colors! :D And I try to buy him all black dress socks because I find men's dress socks so hard to match and black goes with whatever he needs to wear to work, shirt and tie or suits! :D

Wreck It Ralph

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 1:44 pm

skibum wrote:
My husband is very particular about the colors he likes in shirts so he has shirts that look very similar to each other. People might think he only has a couple and wears the same ones every day but he has quite a few so that I don't have to wash them all the time. But it makes it easier for him to match his ties to his shirts when he is only dealing with a couple of colors! :D

Ha ha, sounds so like me!
I like only red and black and you won't find any other clothes in my closet (well, maybe a few white or gray). I got no problem matching them. But some people really think I wear the same clothes everyday ;/.
"Man, this red sweater one got a decorate plait at front! The one I was wearing yesterday was plain! How can't you see it? :D Oh, well... On the other hand I don't remember what you were wearing yesterday at all... You are justified."

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 2:04 pm

i wear my clothes until theyre filthy, at night i change into PJs and they go on the floor, but i choose one outfit for a week or so

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 2:24 pm

I consider most clothes to be dirty even if I haven't worn them very long. After about 6-8 hours in the same clothes I start to feel uncomfortable and no way do I want to wear them again before they are washed. The only things I will wear over again are outer layers like cardigans or jackets, or jeans. And if I wear something to work outside in the yard I will probably wear it again since I'm just going to get dirty working outside anyway. But most anything else just feels and smells too icky for me to put on again, and looks too wrinkled.

If I think I will wear something again I hang it up, preferably somewhere outside of the clean clothes closet, or I hang it on the back of a chair. I don't like to put clothes I've already worn back in the closet, especially if I've worn them outside the house, but sometimes I do it anyway just to put them out of sight. I also hang my wool coats up in the closet since I'm not going to be washing them but it bothers me that they touch my clean clothes. I would rather have a separate closet just for coats and sweaters but I haven't worked out a space for that yet.

rebecca1220
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Apr 2014, 2:33 pm

I put not- dirty clothes in the cupboard.... I usually wear things about 3 times before they are washed.

My nt boyfriend is actually the opposite, he will put stuff in the wash if it has been worn once (although he constantly re-wears boxers.....just what is up with that??!).

If it isn't dirty I will wear it again (usually if it has something stained on it, it will be washed).

I won't the same things constantly though.

xxxx

megocode3
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Apr 2014, 2:40 pm

I wear the same pair of pants everyday. I have other pairs, but these ones just fit me better than the rest. I wash them at the end of the week. At night I put them on the floor. Shirts I only wear once then place them in the dirty laundry pile to wash.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 4:11 pm

rebecca1220 wrote:
I put not- dirty clothes in the cupboard.... I usually wear things about 3 times before they are washed.

My nt boyfriend is actually the opposite, he will put stuff in the wash if it has been worn once (although he constantly re-wears boxers.....just what is up with that??!).

If it isn't dirty I will wear it again (usually if it has something stained on it, it will be washed).

I won't the same things constantly though.

xxxx
Re wears boxers? I've never heard of anyone doing that before! I know I certainly could never do that. I heard of a boy who would turn his inside out but I think that's gross too!

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 4:14 pm

dianthus wrote:
. I also hang my wool coats up in the closet since I'm not going to be washing them but it bothers me that they touch my clean clothes. I would rather have a separate closet just for coats and sweaters but I haven't worked out a space for that yet.
Dianthus, I have a couple of those super inexpensive travel garment bag things that hang in the closet to separate some of my nicer blouses. They have a mesh like breathable front to circulate air so that might be a way for you to separate your wool coats from your other clothes. Even if you chose not to put clothes in them you could still use them as separators so that your coats don't touch your other clothes.

Wreck It Ralph