Church Of Norway Rejects Proposal...

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 6:06 pm

...for priests to officiate LGBT weddings.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/04/08/c ... x-couples/

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2014, 4:41 pm

Sad, but not really, as The Church is quite irrelevant for a great many Norwegians.

Last edited by Fogman on 10 Apr 2014, 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2014, 6:19 pm

But aren't there a lot of different churches?

In America, we have whole denominations that began as 'gay churches'.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2014, 11:00 pm

Is there a national, government sponsored church in Norway? Only one officially recognized or accepted religion? I had pictured Norway to be a very open society.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2014, 1:26 pm

khaoz wrote:
Is there a national, government sponsored church in Norway? Only one officially recognized or accepted religion? I had pictured Norway to be a very open society.

Christianity (catholic/Orthodox Christianity) has been a Royal Institution since Olaf I Tryggvasson forcibly imposed Chistianity upon it at the turn of the 9th century, Olaf II Haraldsson (AKA St. Olaf) suceeded him in the 9th Century. --He is symbolised by the Ax in the Norwegian Coat of Arms.

The Church of Norway, (Lutheran) has been a Royal institution since it's founding in 1537 by King Christian III of Denmark.

I think one of the things that helped put the church burners in their place in the 1990's was the fact that burning churches in Norway essentially means that the churches will be rebuilt to modern construction code with all modern conveniences like heating, electricity, and telecommunications integrated at taxpayer expense.

Norway is a very open society in the fact Norwegians may pay 'Lip Service' to the church, but most are otherwise fairly irreligious.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2014, 1:51 pm

Norwegian Christianity has a much stronger Evangelical community than Denmark (this I know from personal experience). I believe the same things are true for Sweden, but I have no direct experience with Swedish Christianity.

Gay official church marriage was officially legalized in Denmark in 2012 (Denmark has a Lutheran state church), although an individual priest may refuse to marry gay couples... This is not really much of a practical problem for gay couples, though, as the majority of Danish priests are in favour of gay marriage (70+ percent in 2012, and probably higher today).

Anyway, it is just a matter of time in Norway.

I've noticed these days that those who are against gay marriage tend to be... on the wrong side of history.

Refusing to perform gay marriage ceremonies in a country with (1) a state church and (2) the 4th lowest level of religiosity in the world (only surpassed by Sweden, Denmark and Estonia) isn't a viable long-term strategy.

- Daniel Kahneman

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2014, 2:11 pm

Sylkat wrote:

Pretty much all the usual suspects, but far fewer 'True Believers'

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2014, 3:51 pm

Fogman wrote:
khaoz wrote:

Christianity (catholic/Orthodox Christianity) has been a Royal Institution since Olaf I Tryggvasson forcibly imposed Chistianity upon it at the turn of the 9th century, Olaf II Haraldsson (AKA St. Olaf) suceeded him in the 9th Century. --He is symbolised by the Ax in the Norwegian Coat of Arms.

The Church of Norway, (Lutheran) has been a Royal institution since it's founding in 1537 by King Christian III of Denmark.

I think one of the things that helped put the church burners in their place in the 1990's was the fact that burning churches in Norway essentially means that the churches will be rebuilt to modern construction code with all modern conveniences like heating, electricity, and telecommunications integrated at taxpayer expense.

Norway is a very open society in the fact Norwegians may pay 'Lip Service' to the church, but most are otherwise fairly irreligious.

thank you

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2014, 8:59 pm

GGPViper wrote:
Norwegian Christianity has a much stronger Evangelical community than Denmark (this I know from personal experience). I believe the same things are true for Sweden, but I have no direct experience with Swedish Christianity.

Gay official church marriage was officially legalized in Denmark in 2012 (Denmark has a Lutheran state church), although an individual priest may refuse to marry gay couples... This is not really much of a practical problem for gay couples, though, as the majority of Danish priests are in favour of gay marriage (70+ percent in 2012, and probably higher today).

Anyway, it is just a matter of time in Norway.

I've noticed these days that those who are against gay marriage tend to be... on the wrong side of history.

Refusing to perform gay marriage ceremonies in a country with (1) a state church and (2) the 4th lowest level of religiosity in the world (only surpassed by Sweden, Denmark and Estonia) isn't a viable long-term strategy.

I have heard that in Sweden, reciting certain verses of the Bible or Quran can be considered hate speech, and clergymen have been prosecuted for it.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2014, 3:54 am

Sylkat wrote:

Citations please?

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2014, 6:05 am

Feralucce wrote:
Sylkat wrote:

Citations please?

Peruse.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2014, 1:38 pm

Thank you

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2014, 1:39 pm

Fogman wrote:
Feralucce wrote:
Sylkat wrote:

Citations please?

Peruse.

However, this is a church based on inclusion... nowhere does it say anything about being a "Gay Church"

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2014, 3:33 pm

Feralucce wrote:
Fogman wrote:
Feralucce wrote:
Sylkat wrote:

Citations please?

Peruse.

However, this is a church based on inclusion... nowhere does it say anything about being a "Gay Church"

It was started as a 'Gay Church' by many gay people who had been censured from their congregations due to the fact that they were gay. This was their initial focus, but since the church was founded, they have branched out.

Read more of their history.

morslilleole
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2014, 5:05 pm

I think I heard somewhere that more and more people are opting out of the Church of Norway. From what I heard, the number of members who opted out peaked at the day the proposal was rejected. And I hope more and more people will opt out in the near future.