Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2014, 9:17 pm

What skin care product should I use to deal with my zits, and how frequently should I use it?

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2014, 9:52 pm

I've had good luck with benzoyl peroxide twice a day.

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2014, 11:00 pm

I use a face soap with Salicylic Acid as a daily face wash and another face wash with Benzoyl Peroxide as a spot treatment daily until the pimples are gone.

My fiance, who has rosacea, mixes the two together and uses that as a daily facewash. It has worked well in controlling his rosacea symptoms.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 12:06 am

Regular, original, plain Crest or Colgate toothpaste. Not the gel, no whitening stuff, no breath stuff, no gum stuff. Just the dollar store original plain white paste. Wash your face and put a dot of it on each zit. Leave it on for 30 mins or so and wash it off. This helps when they are first showing up. It dries them up, but it can burn the skin if you aren't careful. If you have a bad one you can put a dot on the zit, let it dry, and sleep in it and wash it off the next morning. Do not cover your face in it like a mask though, or it will burn your skin.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

IamRob
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Apr 2014, 9:45 pm

I had success with clearasil soap.
Not sure if i spelled it right

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Apr 2014, 12:30 am

My doctor recommended benzoyl peroxide and that helped a little bit, but not much, so she then recommended Zineryt (erythromycin & zinc acetate). This has worked really well for me.

I took quite a while to get rid of the acne though, and if I stop using the Zineryt for a couple of months, it starts to come back.

GreyMatter
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Apr 2014, 11:59 am

Gosh this will sound so bourgeois, but the only thing that has helped me (besides Roaccutan/Accutane) is a line from a French dermatology company called La Roche-Posay, which was recommended to me by a dermatologist. Their product line called 'Effaclar' works well, and is not harsh on the skin. It is expensive though, but it lasts long. There is a gel that makes a lather which I use for my face and chest in the shower. After showering I apply a type of cleansing water with a cotton pad after I dried my face. Then I apply a serum that combats swelling and redness, and lastly I apply a non-clogging moisturiser which also contains anti-sebum ingredients. I also have a tube from the same line with a special cream for the rare occasion that I do break out. Luckily, ever since I started using this product line, I have not had any bad breakouts, only the occasional infected pore.

Roaccutan/Accutane worked very well in terms of clearing the acne, but it was hell being on it. Talk about sensory overload. I got so light sensitive I could not be outside in the daylight for an entire summer. Its side-effects are NOT worth it.

Atom1966
Toucan
Toucan

04 May 2014, 7:20 pm

I haven't got severe acne but my face is never pimple free. I always have a few spots. I have tried just about everything and nothing really helps. What I am going to try now is to treat my skin with oral supplements like vitamin B5 and zinc tablets with is a different approach in my case. The only problem with vitamin B pills is that one should avoid taking too much of them because they can become toxic if you do which can really damage your health.

I did some research on the internet and I have also started to make my own facial masks with 4 uncoated aspirines, a little water, my facial cleanser or some honey. I just pulverise some aspirines until they have become a powdery substance, add a little water, wait until the aspirines are fully disolved, add some facial cleanser or honey and use it as a facial mask. I leave it on for about 30 minutes or longer and rinse it off with water. The effect is actually quite good. Besides reducing the size and inflamation of spots It also takes care of hyperpygmentation and it makes your skin glow. I use it sparingly though, one or two times a week is enough.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2014, 8:47 am

Soap and water. 2-3 times a day. Get some sun.

Atom1966
Toucan
Toucan

05 May 2014, 5:34 pm

Soap, water and sun doesn't help at all. I speak form experience.
I even get more pimples from exposure to the sun because the heat makes my skin even oilier and therefore more prone to acne.

IamRob
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 May 2014, 12:04 am

For guys shaving can make it worse.the shaving cream can help trap stuff in the pores,i saw it on tv.and since i stopped shaving with razors has helped.i use a hair clipper and things havent been nearly as bad,there is no irritation as well.

desertnomad
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 May 2014, 12:50 am

I have tried every prescription/over the counter and nothing has helped. I used to be the type of person that had perfect skin but the last two years has been hell for me and I really don't even know what to do anymore.

IamRob
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 May 2014, 1:21 am

^ maybe a diet issue or change in environment

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2014, 2:50 am

Doxycycline 100mg

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2014, 8:53 am

Atom1966 wrote:
Soap, water and sun doesn't help at all. I speak form experience.
I even get more pimples from exposure to the sun because the heat makes my skin even oilier and therefore more prone to acne.

What's your age? Adolescence isn't going to play fair, and the formula's worked well for millions for decades.

You get pimples because of what your skin is doing. Keeping it clean helps a lot. Sun (UV) helps kill stuff that promotes problems. Sweating is GOOD because if flushes stuff out (but, yes, if the pore is clogged...).

You also tend to notice less acne with people who frequent salt water pools/beaches. Probably because it acts as a natural desiccant to remove excess oils from the skin.

Perhaps wash the face with a solution of aspirin & water (an old remedy).

CosmicRuss
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2014, 9:01 am

I used Clearasil lotion which I believe is now frowned upon because yes it clears your greasy skin BUT your body then produces more of it.
I would avoid chemicals/pharmaceuticals and buy a tea tree soap bar and at night apply a tea tree face mask. Australian Bodycare is a great one to use although others are available. Have a look for Acnigon too.