Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2007, 5:09 pm

I read Tony Atwood's book And I I loved it. It was like getting in side my aspie head. I didn't think that was possible!! I feel really bad because I use that book for reassurance. When I feel anxious I feel I need to look at it to feel I'm not alone. So basically I been using that book and this website to cope. Anyone else read the book? What did you think of it?

matt271
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2007, 5:45 pm

can u get a pdf copy of it online? :P

Xenon
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2007, 6:06 pm

I have it from the local public library. While most of the book is geared towards the treatment of Aspie children and teens, there is enough material of interest for adults with AS. And having read great huge portions of the book now, I am more convinces than ever that I have AS. Unfortunately I have to return the book by this coming Saturday, and I can't renew it because there are other holds on it (ie, other people waiting). I am likely going to order my own copy. The book is amazing.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2007, 6:06 pm

Why feel bad? It is like we ARE from another planet, and different people. I always wanted to go to australia. I might just to see HIM! does HE have aspergers, or a family member with it? He seems to know a LOT. Most psychologists don't seem that smart.

BTW I kind of LIKE the idea that I at least know how SOMEBODY else thinks. That's neat.<<<<A word Rarely used by me!

Steve

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2007, 6:13 pm

Don't feel bad about using the book for reassurance. It's not like you are drinking or smoking pot to get by. If all you do is read, that's great.

I'm with Steve K. We're aliens stuck here. That's what I used to tell my parents. "It's not your fault, the aliens left me." It seemed to make us all feel better.

I haven't read it. Is the guy Autistic or does he have AS? Just looking at his smiling face kind of put me off. I thought he was a feel good shrink type. Plus, much of what he said about Aspie girls I flat couldn't relate to. Maybe if it's mostly about guys I'll do better.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2007, 6:21 pm

ZanneMarie wrote:
Don't feel bad about using the book for reassurance. It's not like you are drinking or smoking pot to get by. If all you do is read, that's great.

I'm with Steve K. We're aliens stuck here. That's what I used to tell my parents. "It's not your fault, the aliens left me." It seemed to make us all feel better.

I haven't read it. Is the guy Autistic or does he have AS? Just looking at his smiling face kind of put me off. I thought he was a feel good shrink type. Plus, much of what he said about Aspie girls I flat couldn't relate to. Maybe if it's mostly about guys I'll do better.

He IS male, so he is bound to say something some women won't like. Women have the same problem talking about men. I almost bought a book once called, as I recall, "the feminine mind". It may not be very informative about female aspies, but it IS about Female NTs. If I had something like that in highschool, WOW. NAW, I probably STILL wouldn't do anything. 8-( That is one reason I DIDN'T get it. Anyway, it was written by a WOMAN, and she interviewed other women and girls. I would never think of getting such a book written by a man.

Some woman once made a very famous observation. A male gynocologist is like a mechanic that doesn't own a car. 8-(

Steve

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2007, 6:34 pm

No, I was thinking more that I didn't identify with it but most women might (I'm not sure how much AS changes that for them). The book you were talking about, I'm sure I would have tossed in the trash and felt more alienated. Let's just say that the book, Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus? Our Admin was reading it (she said she learned alot but her boyfriend dumped her afterward, so I'm not sure what she learned), anyway she brings it to me and says you are from Mars. Yep. I was. I was all about the Mars section and not identifying with the Venus at all.

They had that Gyno quote on the women's thread. I've had much better experiences with men gynos. Women were pretty harsh with someone like me. I guess I didnt' fit the mold.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2007, 7:12 pm

I have that book... I was in London over xmas, and my mother had already told me point blank she didn't believe I have AS, so when we were in Borders, I asked her if I could have a little money...then went and secretely bought this book lol. I do not think she found out what I bought. I read most of it the same night in bed, and it was like reading about me, but there seem to be such paradoxes in it...like kids can either be totally non contact orientated or go over the top and be hugging everyone too much.

I am currently getting through a lot of books on AS actually. I last read 'Finding a different kind of normal' by a female aspie, which is very good, and now have a rather costly book called 'Autism And Asperger Syndrome-Preparing for adulthood', by Patricia Howlin...which seems very good so far. I love getting new books.

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2007, 8:18 pm

Graelwyn wrote:
I have that book... I was in London over xmas, and my mother had already told me point blank she didn't believe I have AS, so when we were in Borders, I asked her if I could have a little money...then went and secretely bought this book lol. I do not think she found out what I bought. I read most of it the same night in bed, and it was like reading about me, but there seem to be such paradoxes in it...like kids can either be totally non contact orientated or go over the top and be hugging everyone too much.

I am currently getting through a lot of books on AS actually. I last read 'Finding a different kind of normal' by a female aspie, which is very good, and now have a rather costly book called 'Autism And Asperger Syndrome-Preparing for adulthood', by Patricia Howlin...which seems very good so far. I love getting new books.

Grael,

The paradox? Try to imagine wiring shorting out in a house. Sometimes the lights get bright and sometimes they dim. Also, think of too much or too little voltage. In both cases the wiring is messed up, but one sends so much electricity through that it blows out the bulb and fries your computer. The other sends too little electricity through and the lightbulb and your computer monitor appear dim. They are still all cases of messed up wiring. That's what accounts for the paradox. In one case the message is barely getting through. In the other case, the message is overactive, causing a hypersensitive effect in your brain. In both those cases, electronic impulses are sending the messages across and in Aspies, sometimes there is not enough juice and sometimes too much.

Does that help?

Zanne

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2007, 8:24 pm

Yes, that makes more sense to me now, thanks. This is partly why my mother refused to believe I have AS, because as a small child, I would apparently hug anyone etc and was very outgoing and naughty. As I got older I became the opposite.

Mnemosyne
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2007, 9:44 pm

As far as I'm concerned, "The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome" is probably the best book for finding lots of reliable info in one spot.

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2007, 9:59 pm

Graelwyn wrote:
Yes, that makes more sense to me now, thanks. This is partly why my mother refused to believe I have AS, because as a small child, I would apparently hug anyone etc and was very outgoing and naughty. As I got older I became the opposite.

Well, actually, though it isn't widely stated, some Aspies are overly affectionate. It just means the turn off switch isn't working one or the other. Either your light is on all the time (you're hugging everyone) or it's completely off (you are afraid of everyone). It can also be anywhere in between and sometimes go back and forth. That is just for your added pleasure. :wink:

Space
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2007, 10:57 pm

I wouldn't mind reading it, though I am not sure I want to buy it. I just don't want to have any books about AS sitting around my place, I'm trying to look normal. 8)

Mnemosyne
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 12:20 am

Space wrote:
I wouldn't mind reading it, though I am not sure I want to buy it. I just don't want to have any books about AS sitting around my place, I'm trying to look normal. 8)

Try the library. Mine has it, and even if yours doesn't have it, they probably have a copy of the book "Asperger's Syndrome: A guide for parents and professionals" which is by the same doctor. It's essentially the same book, it's just that in "The Complete Guide..." he gives some of the more recent research.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 2:03 am

Space wrote:

What is this 'normal' I keep hearing about... what is normal? Define normal? Do you want to be one of the masses, is that what you mean... is anyone actually 'normal' in all honesty? Who is to say what is and what isn't normal? Make up your own normal.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 3:15 am

Graelwyn wrote:
Space wrote:

What is this 'normal' I keep hearing about... what is normal? Define normal? Do you want to be one of the masses, is that what you mean... is anyone actually 'normal' in all honesty? Who is to say what is and what isn't normal? Make up your own normal.

You can be perfectly normal as soon as you accept the fact that you will never be perfectly normal :lol: I don't really care what normal is, I just get jealous of so called NT people I see sometimes because they seem to get through life a lot easier, especially when they seem to understand people and social interaction well and are popular. This irks me because I can't seem to understand how it works.
Mnemosyne wrote:
Space wrote:

Try the library. Mine has it, and even if yours doesn't have it, they probably have a copy of the book "Asperger's Syndrome: A guide for parents and professionals" which is by the same doctor. It's essentially the same book, it's just that in "The Complete Guide..." he gives some of the more recent research.

I think my mom has that book, but I don't want to be caught reading them because then it makes it look like I have come out of "denial" about having AS, and I hate talking about it.