makes me feel better 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
has no effect on my mood 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
makes me feel worse 80%  80%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 10

YourMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2014, 10:28 am

Just a week ago I got my contraceptive pills after I forgot to order new ones. And now I feel so down. This morning it felt like I was having cramps but now I just feel crap. I already thought before that during times I don't use the pill I feel better. I feel so sad and down! I want this to stop.

Is this the pill or just my imagination? On the internet it says that it's not possible that I feel this way due to the pill as there should be no effect on mood or depression and that it doesn't work that way. My physician told me before that there should be no correlation. I do have the impression however that I'm more stable without it and happier in general, but that's really un-provable and non-scientific.

A minor thing is bugging me and at first I thought that that was the cause even though it's not like what I usually am like, but I'm pretty sure now that that's not the cause.

But... really. What are your experiences?

Soccer22
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2014, 10:37 am

When I started the pill at 16, it really helped to stabilize my puberty emotions, but now after being on it for 8 years, I've noticed that I'm always drowsy and upset everyday, no matter what. Not sure if it's depression or the pill. Also, even though scientists say the pill doesn't make you gain weight, I saw weight gain, 30 pounds in 6 months, it actually concerned my gyno. I was and still am a person who only eats twice a day, sometimes once, and because I'm a picky eater I always eat the same things, so im not sure why the quick and huge weight gain wouldn't be contributed to the pill. I'm thinking of going off the pill but I'm scared of the side effects I've heard (horrible acne, spotting, bad cramps and heavy periods). Sucks being a girl sometimes.

voltagesparks
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Apr 2014, 11:27 am

The pill does not affect my mood much, but the few types I tried shut down my sex drive dramatically. And I'm not having that. I remember when I started out taking the pill first , it messed up my mood quite a bit, but that went away within a few months.

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2014, 4:33 pm

I don't think it's just your imagination. I was on contraceptive pills for two years to regulate my periods and it definitely made me depressed. (Also decreased sex drive to zero)
When I quit I felt significantly better and had more energy instantly.
Later I found out that there is a connection between taking contraceptive pills and the depletion of vitamin B6 which is responsible for helping the processes of your body to produce energy and its long-term deficiency can lead to lack of energy, depression and decreased brain function. So maybe you can try taking vitamin B complex?
I hear you need try different pills to find the one that suits your body. But I felt it was not worth trying. I figured I'd rather have irregular periods than risking messing up my mental state.

metaldanielle
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2014, 12:15 am

I didn't know there was any doubt that birth control can cause depression. :? Some doctors won't even prescribe it to depressed patients because it's known to worsen it.

My birth control isn't pill form, but I have noticed it making me more emotional. It's like the moods I get during PMS, only all the time. Depression is one of them.

Yuzu is right, every type of pill works slightly differently. You might find that another type works better. Also, some women's bodies work best w/ the continuous stable hormone stream of a non-pill method. I would talk to your doctor, he/she would have the best recommendation. Though if he/she refuses to listen to your concerns, I would recommend getting a second opinion if possible.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

11 Apr 2014, 1:30 am

One particular pill I tried (had ethinyl estradiol - estinyl in it) actually make me very lethargic and depressed, but that was the only one to do that.

If your current pill is doing that, it is probably worth investigating other options.