Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

AspergianMutantt
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2014, 5:46 am

An Evolutionary Explanation For Why Humans Are Hard-Wired To Drink
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/evolution ... 00915.html

I have heard stories of deer wondering around drunk because of eating to much rotting/fermenting fruits, and they ate it for that reason. but I disagree that makes people (or even animals) hardwired for it, just some are more susceptible then others and the sugars a body does crave for easily metabolized energy. Secondly, the 9000 years back I think is wrong, at that point it sounds more like their assuming it all started of us making alcohol because of the beginning of humans farming, when I would think it would have gone much further back,, like to when we started to learn how to make containers and baskets to carry and store our fruits and/or drinks in.

But then again, there is this-
Barflies: Sex-deprived male flies go for the booze
(Which only goes to show if females put out more their males may drink less.)
http://news.yahoo.com/barflies-sex-depr ... 35316.html

And these-
http://laughingsquid.com/alcoholic-monk ... ach-goers/
http://metro.co.uk/2011/09/07/drunk-moo ... es-141796/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diOVjW8jV9E (Drunk Deer)

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2014, 2:26 pm

Ah yes, a subject near and dear.
I always heard it was elephants that ate certain berries, then consumed a lot of water and ended up inebriated. Anyway, Jumbo the famous Barnum elephant enjoyed beer every day. As a circus performer, he deserved a drink.
As to how far back it goes, I've read that archeologists have discovered ancient jars that contained wine, but don't remember the estimated age of the jars.
As for being hard wired, I would bring up the American Indians who never had exposure to alcohol until Europeans introduced them to it. Presumably this is why they have a significant problem with alcoholism, they have no hereditary exposure to it.

AspergianMutantt
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2014, 3:13 am

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
Ah yes, a subject near and dear.
I always heard it was elephants that ate certain berries, then consumed a lot of water and ended up inebriated. Anyway, Jumbo the famous Barnum elephant enjoyed beer every day. As a circus performer, he deserved a drink.
As to how far back it goes, I've read that archeologists have discovered ancient jars that contained wine, but don't remember the estimated age of the jars.
As for being hard wired, I would bring up the American Indians who never had exposure to alcohol until Europeans introduced them to it. Presumably this is why they have a significant problem with alcoholism, they have no hereditary exposure to it.

Good point, I should have thought of that one, I am 1/3rd Indian.

Eccles_the_Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2014, 3:09 pm

So, somebody please explain why I've never liked the taste or even the smell of alcoholic drinks? Apart from the occasional use of alcohol when cooking restaurant meals my annual intake is zero.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2014, 5:23 pm

Eccles_the_Mighty wrote:
So, somebody please explain why I've never liked the taste or even the smell of alcoholic drinks? Apart from the occasional use of alcohol when cooking restaurant meals my annual intake is zero.

You must tell us what you've tried so we can help you with some recommendations.
(Not liking the taste of beer is terribly close to being un-patriotic, you know.)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 3:30 pm

Next time anyone b*****s at me for drinking, I'll tell them it's all part of evolution's grand plan! :P

AspergianMutantt
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 3:47 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
Eccles_the_Mighty wrote:

You must tell us what you've tried so we can help you with some recommendations.
(Not liking the taste of beer is terribly close to being un-patriotic, you know.)

Sometimes you are so funny, this I try to be, but others seems to take my sarcasm way to seriously, or not enough to want to relate to it.

Bodyles
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 7:32 pm

Eccles_the_Mighty wrote:

I have news for you:
No one really likes the taste & smell, and that's certainly not why they drink it.
However, good alcohol can be an acquired taste if you drink enough over a period of time., meaning it's harsh but if it's well made it can still be kind of tasty in its own way.

Single Malt Scotch, top shelf Tequila, really good artisan beer, a 1950s French bottle of wine, properly stored...
...All of these things and more can making drinking not only fun, be pleasurable as well.

Eccles_the_Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 11:31 am

OK, so what have I tried?

Short answer: Everything.

Long answer: I got as far as holding a pint glass of beer to my lips then I gagged and didn't even manage to take a mouthful. I've also tried whiskey, whisky, rum, various vodkas, pernod, schnapps, tequila and various mixer drinks that are sold in small bottles. I'm quite good at detecting the taste of alcohol even in small amounts and I really don't like it.

Because I've never been a drinking man I've always ended up as the 'nominated driver'. As such it meant that I was on soft drinks every evening out plus I got contributions to the cost of fuel. I've been breathalysed twice in nearly forty years, once after a roadside stop for speeding and once after a major accident, in both cases the reading was zero. Because I never drink I also get cheaper car and medical insurance.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 1:17 pm

Eccles_the_Mighty wrote:

Long answer: I got as far as holding a pint glass of beer to my lips then I gagged and didn't even manage to take a mouthful. I've also tried whiskey, whisky, rum, various vodkas, pernod, schnapps, tequila and various mixer drinks that are sold in small bottles. I'm quite good at detecting the taste of alcohol even in small amounts and I really don't like it.

My heart bleeds for you, poor sober bloke.
That is a short list, perhaps a nice Merlot could tempt you.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 1:24 pm

Eccles_the_Mighty wrote:

Because I've never been a drinking man I've always ended up as the 'nominated driver'. As such it meant that I was on soft drinks every evening out plus I got contributions to the cost of fuel. I've been breathalysed twice in nearly forty years, once after a roadside stop for speeding and once after a major accident, in both cases the reading was zero. Because I never drink I also get cheaper car and medical insurance.

I personally do much better with beer. With hard alcohol, I usually end up worshiping at the porcelain altar.