Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

cannotthinkoff
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Apr 2014, 4:02 pm

Hopper wrote:
You could do that right now. It's harder than selling your old lawnmower and arranging a plumber or dentist, sure, but you could still do it if you found the right people.

No not without safety guarantees. Also you probably couldnt sell your organs in advance.
Quote:
What rate would you deem 'that high'? There have been many, many people in the UK convicted of murder later found to be innocent who would have been killed under the death penalty. I don't want to be one. Do you?

I dont mind to do that to get the system going, provided ofc democracy and whatnot. This possibility does not phase me a bit

Quote:
Your arguments are equally emotional. Just as easy to say you display a sentimental attachment to the idea of paying less in tax, or of shaping society in some way that appeals to you.

Thats a lame comeback. A few dead people is not an issue considering all of the other barbaric nightmares that are going on in this world. I give a lot of f*cks, a lot. But for me dignity of being alive, leading a full and rich, happy life is way more important than the basic fact of life itself. Somehow no one thinks this way and it puzzles me a great deal

Obviously natural selection argument was a bit of a joke.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2014, 5:05 pm

OP, you've put a lot of things in together, but I get your slippery slope argument and honestly I don't think you're far off. I am pro-death in cases of abortion and euthanasia. And also, in so far as people need to come to terms with death - it's the one thing we all face, yet we don't have much cultural guidance to deal with it. As people age past their enjoyment of life with new medical treatments, we are going to have to face this issue.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2014, 5:11 pm

cannotthinkoff wrote:
For instance not allowing for terminally ill patients to die with dignity is a clear breach of human rights. But oh, it's a taboo. It's not rational and not humane. It's just a public pleasing who are too uncomfortable to face the real hardships some have to face. Also probably it's a religious artifact too.

Yeah, forcing people to live when they are suffering and don't want to live is essentially torture. The opposition against euthenasia is mostly religious bigotry.

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2014, 11:42 pm

OP, are you depressed?

cannotthinkoff
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Apr 2014, 2:15 am

heavenlyabyss wrote:
OP, are you depressed?

aww you are adorable

i have a philosophical question which I hope will help me to understand other people a bit better

i was already a little nazi in childhood and I suppose that might have contributed to my problems nowadays. im certainly not looking for a validation of my decisions, i dont need any.

that aside, you can share your views on why is our society so concerned with life.