Would you be OK with a female play-by-play announcer?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Georgie56
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Apr 2014, 6:19 pm

Couldn't find a sports subforum around here, so this is the closest thing.

I hope I don't get labeled as a sexist, misogynist, or chauvinist with this post (I love women too much to be one of those), but would you be fine with a female announcing men's sports like MLB, NHL, NFL, or NBA? To me, I wouldn't, not because I think that they know nothing about the sport they broadcast, but the voice and lack of excitement. Maybe it's the autism talking, but I would feel uncomfortable having a woman broadcasting a sporting event I really wanted to watch. Then again, there are some males that get under my skin, too.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

13 Apr 2014, 7:35 pm

I'd be cool with it. :)

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2014, 9:37 pm

Georgie56 wrote:
I hope I don't get labeled as a sexist, misogynist, or chauvinist with this post (I love women too much to be one of those), but...

if you don't want to be labeled a sexist, then don't say sexist things. fair enough?

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

13 Apr 2014, 10:25 pm

I wouldn't care if they were knowledgeable and not grating on the ears, the same goes for any man. Bad announcing is bad announcing, it doesn't matter what sex does it. Joe Buck sucks.

matt
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2014, 11:34 pm

No, and I wouldn't be okay with a male play-by-play announcer, either.

IamRob
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Apr 2014, 11:43 pm

Equally knowledgeable,good voice id be fine with it.theres a sportscast shows that i watch has two women sportscasters .i find they do an excellent job and would not mind if either one described games

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 12:28 am

I don't see how female equates to "lack of excitement", and I don't see what is wrong with a female voice.

(Today in "I'm not racist, but..." and "some of my best friends are black" .... )

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 2:01 am

It depends on what they are reporting. There are already women announcers in womens golf, tennis, volleyball, billiards, softball, basketball. I have noticed that some women sports reporters still don't seem to know what sport they are talking about sometimes. I am ok with it as long as she is on the job because of her knowledge and speaking skills, but I become offended when women are put on the screen in provocative outfits just to draw a male audience. I don't enjoy seeing women in sports broadcasting made up to look like a glamour model and standing on camera posing as if she is being interviewed for Miss Universe. You know the POSE, that so many females use with one leg uncomfortable placed behind the other leg, at an angle, with the ankle turned. The fake pose. Me no like that.

Georgie56
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Apr 2014, 7:04 am

There are some females I like to listen to. Mary Carillo's deep and soothing voice fits tennis well and Kelly Tilghman of Golf Channel fits golf well.

There is a female on ESPN who announces college football games named Beth Mowins, but she usually gets the crappy games. Pam Ward was the first woman to do this, but the network removed her from CFB in 2012 (I watched a video of her announcing (with the sound on) on Youtube and couldn't believe how much she sounded like a man).

Gayle Sierens was the first (and so far, the only) woman to do play-by-play for an NFL game in November 1987.

Suzyn Waldman is the New York Yankees' color analyst on the radio and, ironically, she's from Boston.

I do believe that in the very near future, we will see a female announcer for NBA and MLB. I have a hunch, but I do believe this will happen.

And Joe Buck is improving slowly and surely, but he's still no Gus Johnson.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 8:30 am

There's many of them already. I'm okay with it.

Sedentarian
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 3:40 pm

I think we're done with separate jobs for men and women. I would be fine with it.