Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2014, 8:06 pm

How can I tell if I have arthritis or carpal tunnel?

CosmicRuss
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2014, 8:13 pm

Rule out sprain or strain first, then seek diagnosis from a doctor if your discomfort continues.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 12:59 am

And in the meantime, maybe pick up a wrist brace from a local pharmacy, which will run somewhere in the neighborhood of twenty bucks.

They come left-handed or right-handed. And there's at least two kinds. One type you slide or work your hand into, and that by itself can aggravate an injury. The other type, you merely place your hand in and then there's a velco strap to get it medium firm. That's the better type.

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 5:01 pm

If the pain is only in one wrist, then it's unlikely to be an autoimmune form of connective tissue disorder, like rheumatoid arthritis. Those types of conditions usually effect joints bilaterally. And, if you are a younger person, it's unlikely to be osteoarthritis.

Can you describe the pain? Is it accompanied by numbness, tingling or burning sensations? (Those can occur with carpal tunnel).

But, I agree with CosmicRuss' suggestion.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 8:18 am

I've had an on-and-off pain in my left wrist since I was 15. I'm 53 now. Who knows? Maybe it's just "one of those things."

What is the nature of your pain? Does it prevent you from doing things?

IamRob
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Apr 2014, 2:32 am

Yes a brace can help immobilize it to feel less pain but can weaken muscles if worn for too long.like blueroses said if its only one joint its not likely arthritis but carpal tunnel is a possibility if not pulled or strained.was there an old injury,scar tissue can cause problems.is it your mouse hand,any repetitive movements.just a thought