Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

logal
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Apr 2014, 10:35 pm

Hi I'm a 20 yo old male with aspergers and I signed up in the hope of making some friends and possibly getting some guidance. I'm having a really tough time right now and struggle with severe depression to the point my life is unbearable. I've tried countless meds but they don't do much in all honesty, I have completely lost interest in life. The main reason i'm so depressed is due to my extreme social isolation. I have no friends in my area and the only people I talk to are online. I haven't even left my house in ten days and that was for a medical appointment!

I've tried various hobbies and things but I find myself unable to make friends and have any sort of social life. I used to be a very confident person too when I was younger but that all changed when I went through the hellish torment of secondary school. I can't even talk to what i'd classify as "normal" people now. I find it incredibly difficult to trust anyone as nearly everyone ends up abandoning me in the end.
Anyway sorry for the depressing post. Glad to be part of the forum.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2014, 10:50 pm

You are always welcome here. There are many of us who have so much in common with you. Hopefully the folks here at WP can offer you some support and some social interaction. I'd like to offer the following advice. Look on Meetup.com for local Asperger's/ASD groups. I found a group in my area that was a very accepting and open. I don't know where you live but there are such groups all over the world. The most difficult part is going to the first meet up. I found it extremely stressful for a few days before the event, which was dinner at a restaurant. But once I got there they were at the most easy-going accepting people that I think I've ever met.

logal
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Apr 2014, 11:09 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome. I actually checked earlier and there's nothing in my area unfortunately. I can also see I've posted this in the wrong thread by mistake. A prime example of me rushing into things and not taking my time

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2014, 11:19 pm

I'm sorry to hear about the lack of groups in your area. On the other thing I'd like to mention is that I personally have found a therapist that has been coaching me on social skills. I have a long, long way to go, but you have to start somewhere. You might call your county and see if they can refer you to someone that will see you for low or no cost. A large part of my problem that has been further exacerbated over the years by isolation is that I lack the social skills to maintain any kind of normal relationship with people. But I tell you, it is never too late to learn. And don't get me wrong, it is difficult, but you just have to make that choice and take the initial step. It is something you can be proud of yourself for.

Don't worry about where you posted. If you would rather have it posted on will confirm you can always ask a mod to move it. But nobody is going to be bothered by you posting this here and you shouldn't be bothered by it either.