Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 2:14 am

The story speaks for itself. Why doesn't he also sue the carmaker for the brakes not stopping him from sliding into the water? Maybe he didn't think of that one yet.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/03/22 ... -rescuers/

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 2:24 am

$40,000 medical bill, that makes me think he is only suing them and finding a reason for it just so he can use the money to pay that bill.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 3:09 am

Talk about an ungrateful dick. Throw him back into the water, I say!

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 4:41 am

the title is very misleading, hes suing over the road not being closed after it was flooded out

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 7:17 am

I don't think I'd have it in me to sue someone who just gave me a second chance at life....

Eccles_the_Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 3:31 pm

Just wait until the next time this guy needs a fire truck or an ambulance, nobody is going to respond until he signs a disclaimer.

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 9:01 am

More truth to the idea that no good deed goes unpunished.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 9:35 am

Will someone please please teach the internet the meaning of the word subrogation?!?

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 9:57 am

So did the author of that article leave out, or play down, that it was his insurance company, and not him, that was suing?

BTW, subrogation is defined thus:

Quote:
n. assuming the legal rights of a person for whom expenses or a debt has been paid. Typically, subrogation occurs when an insurance company which pays its insured client for injuries and losses then sues the party which the injured person contends caused the damages to him/her. Example: Fred Farmer negligently builds a bonfire which gets out of control and starts a grass fire which spreads to Ned Neighbor's barn. Good Hands Insurance Co. has insured the barn, pays Neighbor his estimated cost of reconstruction of the barn, and then sues Farmer for that amount. Farmer will have all the "defenses" to the insurance company's suit that he would have had against Neighbor, including the contention that the cost of repairing the barn was less than Neighbor was paid or that Neighbor negligently got in the way of firefighters trying to put out the grass fire.

http://dictionary.law.com/Default.aspx?selected=2044

EDIT: It also could be that the hospital or the health insurance company is suing on Ortiz's behalf, or telling Ortiz he needs to sue. I recall times when I was injured and went to a medical provider; whenever there's an injury, they always ask if it was part of something like a car crash or if someone else did this to you. I believe that stuff is very important, because it can affect who's liable. If it was part of a car crash that was the other party's fault, then your health insurance wouldn't pay and the health care provider wouldn't even bill the insurance; instead, they would expect you to file an injury claim against the auto insurer of the party at fault. It would be the auto insurer of the party at fault that would be on the hook for the medical bill.

It could just be that Roy Ortiz was caught up in legal requirements.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2014, 2:42 am

One of my brothers was a helicopter pilot and once rescued a couple who had crashed a small plane into the water.

After he got the couple to safety, he found out that their two kids were still in the airplane. By then there was no chance that the kids were still alive.

It turned out that the father was a lawyer and so he did what lawyers want to do most -- he filed a lawsuit against my brother and his employer for not rescuing the kids. Eventually, the lawsuit went away, but my brother and his employer were still out significant legal fees.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2014, 8:18 am

some years back a student from kenya was working at the taxi company i worked at.he was a volunteer fire fighter in that vermont town as well and said he wanted to be a EMT.i asked if he was applying at the local fire station.

he said: "I dont want to be an EMT in america because so many ambulance services get sued in america,i will get an education here but will only work as a profesional emergency responder back in Kenya as not to get sued".

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2014, 10:13 am

Just a sad fact that our culture is incredibly lawsuit-happy and makes people second guess doing good deeds.