Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

lara_h
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Feb 2007, 3:25 am

I was doing research online for a Biology class, came across a psychology article on aspergers, it was a portrait of a young woman who had it, and it was like I was reading my own childhood. Of course, I proceeded to look up definitions of, symptoms, of etc....And then I found this site and read through the whole "You might have asperger's if...." AND IT WAS LIKE SOMEONE FINALLY *GOT* ME!! ! Every little nuance of my weirdness was encapsulated in other peoples experiences and dang if it didn't feel good to know that.....Being on WP must be to an Aspie what being in the Real World feels like to NT's....

I also think my Mom and Dad may have it (Mom for sure, Dad, not so sure)...as well as at least one of my sisters and my brother. I am also almost certain my older daughter has it.

I've suffered from severe social anxiety and depression, and was put on medication for them, which nearly destroyed my marriage.....and now I know that my "problem" can't be medicated away. I've learned QUITE a few coping mechanisms and have managed to integrate better into NT society, but I still have my meltdowns.

Wow...I could carry on for ages about all the specifics....but I'll trust I'll get my fair amount of talking done in the forums....

Just wanted to breathe a sigh of relief.............

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 3:39 am

*Twitch*

Welcome! I'm Flagg, resident evil genius!

*Twitch*

Don't worry, that just happens sometimes.

*Twitch*

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 7:02 am

Hey Lara, you're cute! I'm Mark. Welcome to the Wrong Planet! :)

- Emerson

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 7:36 am

There's nothing to say that's her. It could be anyone. (Just joking!)

Hello there. Welcome to WP. :)

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 8:16 am

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Sakhmet
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Feb 2007, 4:33 pm

Man do I understand how you feel! From another newbie...welcome!

lara_h
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Feb 2007, 6:17 pm

Yes that's me...and it's the only picture of me (taken on my wedding day!) that actually shows some expression and doesn't look like a mug shot. I'd always wondered my whole life why EVERYONE I meet tells me to "smile" and "cheer up" all the time when most of the time I feel just fine and quite happy....I guess I have to stop getting angry at them...since I do, in fact, much as I hate to admit it, seem to lack expression....

And thank you for the welcomes :) It feels so good to have found this forum....

Nightcry
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2007, 2:01 am

lara_h wrote:
I'd always wondered my whole life why EVERYONE I meet tells me to "smile" and "cheer up" all the time when most of the time I feel just fine and quite happy

I was TERRIFIED of my teacher last year for that.
Every time he saw me it was "Smile!" and he gave a strange, mutated smile, then when I looked at him strange he gave a mutated frown, I'm guessing he was giving an exagerated mimic of me. It got to the point where he was threatening to tear up things if I didn't smile. I couldn't talk to him without freaking out so I told my parents who rang the school. He came the next day and yelled at me after he almost got fired saying hae was trying to help.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2007, 3:01 am

Welcome to WP!

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2007, 5:07 pm

Welcome to WP lara! I is a Laura, and at 53 I have lived so long being and yet without knowing. To find myself has been so wonderful. I found As online as a result of an episode of "House". And like you, when I scouted the web I found myself looking into a mirror. Is it not wonderful?

Glad you found us. You are part of our tribe now, and for ever.

we are a pretty good lot.

Aspie Independence!

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2007, 7:06 pm

lara_h wrote:
I was doing research online for a Biology class, came across a psychology article on aspergers, it was a portrait of a young woman who had it, and it was like I was reading my own childhood. Of course, I proceeded to look up definitions of, symptoms, of etc....And then I found this site and read through the whole "You might have asperger's if...." AND IT WAS LIKE SOMEONE FINALLY *GOT* ME!! ! Every little nuance of my weirdness was encapsulated in other peoples experiences and dang if it didn't feel good to know that.....Being on WP must be to an Aspie what being in the Real World feels like to NT's....

I also think my Mom and Dad may have it (Mom for sure, Dad, not so sure)...as well as at least one of my sisters and my brother. I am also almost certain my older daughter has it.

I've suffered from severe social anxiety and depression, and was put on medication for them, which nearly destroyed my marriage.....and now I know that my "problem" can't be medicated away. I've learned QUITE a few coping mechanisms and have managed to integrate better into NT society, but I still have my meltdowns.

Wow...I could carry on for ages about all the specifics....but I'll trust I'll get my fair amount of talking done in the forums....

Just wanted to breathe a sigh of relief.............

Hey der

New here myself, a zillion questions. There is a link floating around here for a quiz, was agonizing for me to do, but with the help of my wife I got through it.

My current treatment is for Bipolar (manic/depressive), seems alot of what is used to attempt to level BP, is what is used for Aspie. Doctor is going to get a lesson in this and better be braced if he isn't up to date, I take no prisoners :twisted: So of Doctors and meds I can speak with some knowledge. It's a long road with meds, but..there are some that can help. Valium, yup simple ol valium has been a huge help, for me, I can at least go outside on my good days. I haven't seen a lot of talk about meds, yet, but I don't use the search function very much or speel check :wink: Makes me wonder how many others have been or are being treated for something other then this. My coping skills are many as well, some have failed me and as is often the case I have to hide till I can get them back on line. When they are working and I can push myself I can float through the other world effortlessly, well it would appear so from an outsiders point of view. I talk to much about myself, but it's about the only way I know, that makes sense, to kind of hold up a mirror to others and say, hi, I'm here too and we can do this thing and these are some of what has worked for me.

Welcome
postpaleo

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2007, 1:18 pm

lara_h,

Welcome,

Here you are a newbie, so a few rules, knock that fake smile off and look at me blankly, it is the only thing I understand.

Problems can be medicated away, see Chico by the bus station.

You cannot clam up like Paleo, tell us about yourself. I collect dead roaches, I have them pinned to the walls and ceiling of my room. I put out bait, and pin them with a blow gun. I have an obsession with extreme toxins, do you know where I could get a sea snake?

Sometimes I feel lonely, I would like to live in a cave with 100,000 bats.

You are now a commoner, to rise around here takes merit, obsessive merit.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2007, 2:13 pm

Hi!

Welcome!

I'm glad you realize you do have AS traits. You have a lot of potential and I wish you well. I hope you come to a valid conclusion of whether or not you have AS soon.

I hope you enjoy posting here!

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2007, 4:34 pm

Inventor wrote:
lara_h,

You cannot clam up like Paleo, tell us about yourself. I collect dead roaches, I have them pinned to the walls and ceiling of my room. I put out bait, and pin them with a blow gun. I have an obsession with extreme toxins, do you know where I could get a sea snake?

Lol, hell I was Chico at the bus station. You only wish I'd clam up. I ever tell you about the clams I found in some sedimentary rock not far from here? Terribly long story and I'll make it longer just for you. Boring as hell. Don't try to out piss an old skunk. I'm surprised I haven't scared you off yet, I'll try harder. Lol, good post by the way.

postpaleo

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2007, 4:35 pm

postpaleo wrote:
Inventor wrote:
lara_h,

Lol, hell I was Chico at the bus station. You got money? You only wish I'd clam up. I ever tell you about the clams I found in some sedimentary rock not far from here? Terribly long story and I'll make it longer just for you. Boring as hell. Don't try to out piss an old skunk. I'm surprised I haven't scared you off yet, I'll try harder. Lol, good post by the way.

postpaleo

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2007, 11:31 am

From the terrain I would guess a shale.

She seemed shy, I just thought I would calm her fears by having the monsters jump out if the closet to start with.

I am really not that bad, at sixty I have had time to come to terms with being me. No one else has, but recently discovering aspieitis, or whatever they are calling it in pop-psych zine this week, says I do not care.

Aspies have a hard time with humor, there are examples around. No one ever got my sense of humor, but that has never stopped me from joking.

I do not expect a lot, everyone else is wrong, I am right, so they should be reasonable and do it my way.

Silverback Aspie, out of his tree and proud of it.