Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 6:58 pm

Does it really work or do you have to do the hot water and hot dryer thing?

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

14 Apr 2014, 7:32 pm

What??? They have a shampoo for that. If that is not to your liking, shaving the head is an option. If you dont mind looking like you have flour in your hair, you could put food grade diatomaceous earth in it. That stuff safely kills all bugs.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 8:54 pm

yournamehere wrote:
What??? They have a shampoo for that. If that is not to your liking, shaving the head is an option. If you dont mind looking like you have flour in your hair, you could put food grade diatomaceous earth in it. That stuff safely kills all bugs.

I was referring to what you do to your clothes. Does storing your clothes in a plastic bag work or do you absolutely have to wash them in hot water and dry them on high heat.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

14 Apr 2014, 11:11 pm

High heat works fine. You can store them in plastic for one month. That's what you do with pillows, and teddy bears, and stuff.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 11:56 pm

It depends on the particular item. For things you can't wash you can dry it on hot and seal it in a plastic bag for two weeks. We always did two weeks, and had lice every year in the spring when the kids were little. Stuffed animals and pillows can be washed in hot and dried in hot. Furs, leather and suede need to be taken in and cleaned by a professional and sealed in plastic bags for two months.

For your bed, just turn your mattress and wash your sheets and all blankets and the pillows themselves in hot and dry them and dry them on hot to kill everything.

Let me give you a little tip about the hair though. I got so tired of using the shampoos over and over and worried about absorption through the scalp. With four kids who have thick hair and the girls had really long hair, the way lice was passed back and forth around the school, we would end up treating everybody in the house at once and doing all the beds, pillows, etc all on the same weekend, 2 or 3 times every spring. The school nurse told me of a much better way to go about it. Very safe, kills them very well, and really conditions the hair too.

Cover dry hair in mayonaise. Regular mayo from the grocery store. Just saturate it. Comb it through very well and saturate it some more. Get some of those clear plastic shower caps and put two of them on. Then wrap your head up good in a scarf and tie it. Leave it on for 12 hours. It takes that long to smother the lice. Then come out the hair with a nit comb with the mayo in it, then wash it several times in regular shampoo to get the mayo out and recomb it with the nit comb. It really works. It's also easier on the hair than the lice shampoos.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

IamRob
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Apr 2014, 10:44 pm

Quote:
Cover dry hair in mayonaise. Regular mayo from the grocery store. Just saturate it. Comb it through very well and saturate it some more. Get some of those clear plastic shower caps and put two of them on. Then wrap your head up good in a scarf and tie it. Leave it on for 12 hours. It takes that long to smother the lice. Then come out the hair with a nit comb with the mayo in it, then wash it several times in regular shampoo to get the mayo out and recomb it with the nit comb. It really works. It's also easier on the hair than the lice shampoos.

That makes total sense it suffocates the live ones you then just have to get rid of the eggs.
Its kind of like when i use a few drops of dish soap with water in a spray bottle to kill earwigs in the garden.it would kill all bugs as well.it covers them in bubbles and suffocates them.preventing the absorption of oxygen through their exoskeleton.