Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

necrolust666
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Apr 2014, 12:23 am

the older i get and the more i see its starting to become apparent that most nuerotypical people see us as either an illness with no human face, a joke, or stupid. most so called "advocates" see us a disease that needs to be cured and don't take our wishes and visions of change seriously. i don't want to be cured of anything as much as its hard for me to interact with others. i want to be accepted and play a legitimate role in society. however i can't see that happening anytime soon. so i want get some consensus on how others here feel about the nuerotypical community. i have no hate for them just the attitudes they have. does anyone feel that a peaceful separatism from nuerotypical society can be a good idea? if anyone could envision exclusive spectrum organizations and business that are sufficient enough to sustain and support spectrum communities. don't think i'm an extremist i'm just playing devil's advocate right now.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 1:25 am

there are good NTs, I know some.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 1:31 am

While I can understand the appeal of the idea in this time of backlash, harmfully wrong ideas about us and post 9/11 conformity I am against the idea for practical and moral reasons.

I can't see practically how it can be done without violent upheaval because we are so interspersed among the neurotypical population. We are human just like them and it is out moral right to be part of the human population not separated from them. Seeing how much blacks and gays and so many other groups have gained in my lifetime I can't countenance the idea that we are the ones that have to give up.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 3:26 am

I'm not sure if you what you're saying would work for us. NTs tend to be very tribal and hierarchical, whereas we're sort of free-floating individuals out of step. In order to separate from NT society, you're actually asking us to behave like NTs. I don't think we, as a group, have the capacity for that, as it tends to go against every bone in our bodies.

Still, it would be nice if, magically, the world was at least 50% Asperger, giving us a better chance of successful, or at least less confusing, day-to-day interaction with other people.

necrolust666
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Apr 2014, 10:23 am

honestly. I'm not advocating for it. I'm just playing devil's advocate and trying to get insight and spark a discussion. but the truth remains that for myself and im sure a s@#t load of us grow very frustrated when it comes to trying to interact with NTs. f%*k I can barely interact with my immediate family. I've spent 20 years of my life trying to fit in with them and its growing tiresome.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2014, 11:31 am

I ended up having to become a hermit.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2014, 3:47 pm

We are putting together a community within an already existing community in colorado. Total segregation? No, An opportunity to receive IRL support, understanding, friendship,in some cases shared housing, mentoring of our young people,building acceptance b NTs' surrounding us, respite for exhausted moms and dads, possibly even business opportunities, all within a few short blocks [ that is in the 10 year plan]

I have no idea why there are so many extremely negative objections to such an idea. Most Autistics would not be comfortable in this type of arrangement. But those who do will thrive. They will be too busy creating, and loving, and sharing, and working,and inventing, and creating Masterpieces, and singing their songs, and living their dreams to have a suicide rate 28 times higher than the national norm.[ and when such feelings do occur, they will be surrounded by IRL people who can help them out] I believe there will be fewer AUtistics sexually assaulted, and those who have been will have others like themselves to help them walk through the healing process.

For those who would not want to be a part of something like that,cool. You will still receive some of the positive benefits.[ long term]
Intentional communities are NOT for everyone, so please do not make assumptions about failure based on what would not work for you.

Many people are hermits. I would guess that many of those hermits are Autistic. If that works for you, awesome. Just because it would not work for me does not mean that I believe that hermits are destined to be failed hermits. I used to live in Montana. while there, I met one true Montana Mountain Man. He lived off the land and did a small amount of trading with my late husband. We also knew a man who had lived far from everything off the land [alone] for 2 years. He moved back to a small town eventually, but he had no regrets about having lived off the land as a hermit,nor did he regret moving back to "civilization.[in retrospect, I think they were both Autistic]

A hermit, even an autistic one, would not enjoy being in our community. A "Tea Partier," even an Autistic one, would probably not be comfortable there,nor anyone who worshiped the God of Fox News. They would not be excluded, but they probably would not find such an arrangement appealing. And that is okay. They can still stop by for pie and coffee and enjoy "Autistic Space" when they want to.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2014, 7:50 pm

I wish it was closer to Puget sound.

YourMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2014, 4:40 am

Perhaps you can try and work towards building a commune? People close to me are beginning something similar and they're popping up in small numbers throughout Europe as a reaction to political changes and a sense of the discomfort many people have with today's world, its politics and politicians and developments. Try something similar? :)

(not a native speaker)

HarmonySeptember
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 May 2014, 3:09 pm

As an autistic child of a military family, I have noticed that people think differently about us depending on wherever I am living. How you can tell is by the way that schools are run in one specific area. In countries recovering from war and small towns, there is segregation of the special needs students in the school systems. Perhaps this is because of a lack of money for resources; consequently, NTs may think that these students are less than themselves, and they may not even know that we exist.

Even with little money, awareness that we have talents and purposes for this world can be spread. Doing this should encourage the NTs to support us and our point of view. I feel like if we had a community that is separated from everyone else, this could be less likely to happen. We have to let our voices be heard.

HarmonySeptember
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 May 2014, 4:27 pm

vickygleitz wrote:
We are putting together a community within an already existing community in colorado. Total segregation? No, An opportunity to receive IRL support, understanding, friendship,in some cases shared housing, mentoring of our young people,building acceptance b NTs' surrounding us, respite for exhausted moms and dads, possibly even business opportunities, all within a few short blocks [ that is in the 10 year plan]

I have no idea why there are so many extremely negative objections to such an idea. Most Autistics would not be comfortable in this type of arrangement. But those who do will thrive. They will be too busy creating, and loving, and sharing, and working,and inventing, and creating Masterpieces, and singing their songs, and living their dreams to have a suicide rate 28 times higher than the national norm.[ and when such feelings do occur, they will be surrounded by IRL people who can help them out] I believe there will be fewer AUtistics sexually assaulted, and those who have been will have others like themselves to help them walk through the healing process.

For those who would not want to be a part of something like that,cool. You will still receive some of the positive benefits.[ long term]
Intentional communities are NOT for everyone, so please do not make assumptions about failure based on what would not work for you.

Many people are hermits. I would guess that many of those hermits are Autistic. If that works for you, awesome. Just because it would not work for me does not mean that I believe that hermits are destined to be failed hermits. I used to live in Montana. while there, I met one true Montana Mountain Man. He lived off the land and did a small amount of trading with my late husband. We also knew a man who had lived far from everything off the land [alone] for 2 years. He moved back to a small town eventually, but he had no regrets about having lived off the land as a hermit,nor did he regret moving back to "civilization.[in retrospect, I think they were both Autistic]

A hermit, even an autistic one, would not enjoy being in our community. A "Tea Partier," even an Autistic one, would probably not be comfortable there,nor anyone who worshiped the God of Fox News. They would not be excluded, but they probably would not find such an arrangement appealing. And that is okay. They can still stop by for pie and coffee and enjoy "Autistic Space" when they want to.

Since this is not going to be a segregated community, and it will spread positive awareness to NT's, this seems like a great idea. Colorado is a place that I trust for things like this. I know from personal experience that Colorado is one of the best places to live if you are neurologically different in any way.

themanfromuranus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Jun 2014, 12:36 pm

seperetism an option? - YESSSSS!! !! !! !! !! !

Awiddershinlife
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jul 2014, 4:16 pm

necrolust666 wrote:
the older i get and the more i see its starting to become apparent that most nuerotypical people see us as either an illness with no human face, a joke, or stupid. most so called "advocates" see us a disease that needs to be cured and don't take our wishes and visions of change seriously. i don't want to be cured of anything as much as its hard for me to interact with others. i want to be accepted and play a legitimate role in society. however i can't see that happening anytime soon. so i want get some consensus on how others here feel about the nuerotypical community. i have no hate for them just the attitudes they have. does anyone feel that a peaceful separatism from nuerotypical society can be a good idea? if anyone could envision exclusive spectrum organizations and business that are sufficient enough to sustain and support spectrum communities. don't think i'm an extremist i'm just playing devil's advocate right now.

The Deaf community succeeded in this. Even created their own university. They did not all move to a commune, but they did build solidarity. The autistic community lacks strong solidarity.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 4:18 pm

how do we make a solidarity of auties? or is it like trying to herd cats?

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 9:58 pm

More like mice.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 10:00 pm

auntblabby wrote:
how do we make a solidarity of auties? or is it like trying to herd cats?

Wozeree wrote:
More like mice.

squeak.

Last edited by auntblabby on 01 Jul 2014, 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.