Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Are you on any of the current major social networking sites like facebook or twitter with your real name and details?
Yes 49%  49%  [ 24 ]
No 51%  51%  [ 25 ]
Total votes : 49

Dan_Undiagnosed
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 7:41 pm

I was just wondering what the prevalence was for people on the spectrum who weren't lured in by the rise of sites like bebo, myspace then facebook and twitter. For some reason I assume most people are on these sites but that maybe per capita there's more people in the ASD community who aren't than the NT mainstream. I would answer no because I had a myspace page just when it's popularity started to decline and then I didn't join the facebook frenzy when it started. WP is the closest thing I have to a social media profile which I wouldn't count as it isn't common to use your full name and details like facebook and twitter.

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 7:49 pm

i used to be, but not anymore.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 7:57 pm

yeah,am on facebook under real name,only ever went on it to keep in contact with support staff of mine and relatives because am severely communication and speech impaired and relie on text forms to contact people.

personaly find fb very interesting,as theres a lot of good groups on it including lots of autism ones;if have not come across groups yet these are a bit like forums on facebook but theyre not as infected with trolls from what have personaly experienced.
theres even groups for getting free stuff in the local area,or for selling stuff-like freecycle but better.

it was funny as sister was saying over a private chat window the other week that our auntie is always airing her dirty laundry on fb,unknown to sister, she had posted up a photo of her actual dirty laundry;to show how one of their dogs was obsessed with stealing her dirty knickers out of the washing pile.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Minionkitty
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Apr 2014, 7:58 pm

I have Facebook, but just for close friends and family. I only post pictures and send messages. And the pictures are usually of my cat or my minions. No Twitter. I don't like the whole "random updates of what I'm doing" thing.

ASD/Asperger's Syndrome traits; diagnosed August 2014
IQ 120
(Diagnosed using the DSM-IV, not DSM-5)

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 8:30 pm

Only for reading in autism for the longest. Rarely gave a status update.

NEtikiman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 8:48 pm

I've had an active facebook account since its earliest inceptions (back when it was called the college facebook!)

I use it in waves and mostly for random and humorous observations.

FireyInspiration
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 9:01 pm

Only facebook, and I'm super-careful about what I post

MarcelloP
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Apr 2014, 9:05 pm

Facebook and LinkedIn. Facebook page is mostly dedicated to music videos. LinkedIn I spend most of my time responding to inquiries about GAAP and IFRS accounting methods. It lets me answer people's questions without having to see them face-to-face, and I get at least some satisfaction knowing someone is benefiting from my knowledge.

Atom1966
Toucan
Toucan

15 Apr 2014, 9:29 pm

Yes and no.

I have a facebook account but I'm not really interested so I rarely visit facebook. I went on it yesterday but that was for a specific reason. I don't have a lot of facebook friends either and that doesn't really bother me. Since I think it's best to maintain the illusion of anonymity my account doesn't even have a picture of me. I am not that interested in Twitter either. It can be interesting sometimes when you want follow certain news events but that is about it. To make a long story short, I'm not really an active user of social media.

KB8CWB
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 9:34 pm

I am on FB but not a steady diet of it. What few friends I have in RL are on there and special online friends as well. Not that I change who I am online, it is more of how FAR I let someone into my life. I have major trust issues = hurt too many times in past. :cry:

Arcnarenth
Raven
Raven

15 Apr 2014, 9:52 pm

I answered "Yes" because I am on Facebook under my real name, but I do next to nothing with it. No status updates or posting of anything really. I was part of a group that shared a special interest that I posted in frequently several years ago, but that died out. I don't even have a profile picture up now. I only use it to check out various pages of things I'm interested in now. I hate what it is now. Was much better when it wasn't open to the general public.

Twitter I don't get. Seems like a shameless attention grab for self-obsessed narcissists. Most people bore me anyway so an app that alerts me when someone goes to McDonalds for lunch seems pointless to me.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 10:04 pm

Yeah, I'm on FB. I use it for turtle related stuff mostly.

I also have a Twitter account, but I have only tweeted twice I think.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 10:49 pm

Forums like this is the closest I've come to social media. I like this because it is separate from real life. Social media seems to combine internet interaction with real life. Maybe when I have spent more time on forums interacting and am older, I will branch out more. But social media has no appeal to me right now.

b_edward
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Apr 2014, 11:47 pm

I am on facebook but I kind of wish I wasn't. I am trying to convince myself it is only trouble to post a lot, maybe like once a month should be enough. But I keep going back, and I keep posting. The end result of all of this is more stress in my life.

Dhp
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 11:52 pm

Over my dead body will you ever see me on Facebook, or any other social media like that. I don't want people finding me, or past "friends" finding me, or worse. To each his or her own, I guess. But it's not for me.

b_edward
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Apr 2014, 11:58 pm

Dhp wrote:
Over my dead body will you ever see me on Facebook, or any other social media like that. I don't want people finding me, or past "friends" finding me, or worse. To each his or her own, I guess. But it's not for me.