Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Galexty
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Apr 2014, 5:14 pm

Does anyone else play FFXIV? I like it better than most MMOs. The people are nicer and the game forces you into group situations a lot less (you can solo any class reasonably well).

Sylph
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Apr 2014, 6:04 pm

I've been thinking about purchasing the game for the past several months.

Galexty
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Apr 2014, 6:42 pm

It's really good! I'm enjoying the class options and the crafting professions don't leave you in the lurch like other games. The character customization options are diverse (huge plus for me, I like making characters). The game also doesn't (so far) have weird screen shaking or blurring effects during gameplay and the subtitles are well done and easily legible.

And the women's armor actually, y'know, cover everything. So far I've only seen one instance of Chainmail Bikini, and the guy's option was equally ridiculous.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2014, 8:18 pm

I honestly didn't like it.

Its too much of a WOW clone. Yes, yes, it has FF's storytelling and cinematics but the combat mechanics are just MEH as heck. It just feels generic and unimaginative. Its all spam-the-abilities and teamwork only matters when it comes to healing. Enemies are horde-type (aka players just quickly slay dozens of easy to kill critters) with the sporadic 'boss' that requires some relatively minimal teamwork.

Final Fantasy 11 had a much better system imo.

ZpykeEboto
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Apr 2014, 12:47 pm

I was wondering if I should get FFXIV or not. Sounds like I shouldn't, since I prefer team-experiences. If I wanted a solo experience, I wouldn't pay $15 a month for it.

Too bad FFXI, from what I hear, has end-game botters and hackers, not to mention the incredibly severe grind to get to the top. So I probably won't be spending the money on that one, either.

Both of these games should have just been made single-player games. Or, if they must have multiplayer, maybe only as a side-feature to play with friends instead of making them fairly large mmo's.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2014, 5:50 pm

FF11 begun its path to ruin when the devs begun to cater to the US market ~2005ish. The combat mechanics were dumbed down significantly. It IS a much better now imo than FF14 but it is true about the end game botters and hackers..after all, it was released basically at the same time the PS2 came out.

Teamwork is the one thing FF11 excels in. Fighting npcs in that game is a true experience..every class has its role and the roles are required. Solo, the creatures close or equal to your level have a high chance of taking you down and its a real challenge to do fight them. FF11's combat tempo with you having to build up your TP to execute an ability is *the* reason why that game is so good. You have to THINK and know your character/job's abilities and the NPC's.

FF14 is, imo, simply the dumbing down of an already severely dumbed down FF11 combat mechanics using a WOW-like interface and monster designs (aka horde-killing) with lots of pretty graphics. In that game combat is merely spam-clicking a number of high damage attacks and the TP is for all purposes just a little damage booster for said attacks.

As a game itself FF14 is not bad. Its just.. I don't know how to put it.. lacking? disappointing? I guess I was expecting a final fantasy type experience not a wow-clone with FF feel.

For now I'm just waiting for Star Citizen to come out. One year~ to go....

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 3:43 pm

Yes, I play. I have a legacy char on Durandal and a normal char on Leviathan.

I am an Aspie!
Diagnosed as an adult

Nist498
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2019, 10:28 pm

I've played it in the past. There are good and bad aspects to the game but I will say the story is probably the most epic thing I've seen in an MMO. At the very least if you like good stories you should check it out. The game is a huge investment of time though and unless you can handle learning everything you need mostly on your own and are comfortable directing people around don't play a tank class.

All magic comes with a price! - Rumplestiltskin