Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2007, 10:43 pm

what's funny is i had to work with vista while it was in beta...and it sounds like it really hasn't improved much. ineffective use of memory, constant error messages and problems with compatability.

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2007, 12:32 am

Quote:
What do you mean "was" in beta? Isn't it still in beta?

That was what you call sarcasm.
Glad you liked the link.

Vista isn't on there, but here's my rendition of Vista Airways:
You get to the gate, and it looks like the same gate you flew from before, but something's not quite right...you get on the plane, and it's fully loaded, in fact, look at all those engines on that plane! Wow! But there's no pilot. There's just one stewardess, and instead of telling you where to sit, she hands you back your ticket and all it says is "Search..." You sit down in the first seat you can find that's available, way in the back, and your plane takes off. You watch the movie, but it's in Greek. You get served food, but it's inedible. You get ready to disembark and are told there was a common user interface error, and instead of going home, you're going to .... the moon!

Last edited by MsTriste on 08 Mar 2007, 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2007, 12:42 am

technically speaking....when a product is out for sale, it's final.

it's operational ability scream "EARLY BETA."

and i love the link you posted. :)

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2007, 9:19 pm

tallfreak wrote:
One person mentioned a new Dell with Vista and problems. I would bet that most of those problems are due to 3rd party garbage Dell installs on their machines. (I've seen the same thing happen on XP.) I would try a clean install (not a restore disc) from a Vista Disc. -Scott

Or it may have been Microsoft garbage.

Here's my update:
Dell sent me a new computer. We wiped the mother clean and reinstalled Vista, utilities and drivers, and the version of Office 2007 that I paid for. Opened the program that caused the most error messages (Microsoft Calendar) and were able to duplicate the error message. I deleted the offending program (Calendar) and have thus far not had a single error message.

I am giving Vista a week or so to make sure there are not other compatibility issues before downloading any other software, even Firefox.

But right now I have to conclude that the incompatibility lies within two f$%^ing Microsoft isses: Vista and Calendar. Can somebody please make Bill retire now rather than next year?

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2007, 7:06 am

I don't really think it's Bill. I think it's sir-throws-chairs-alot.

geek
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2007, 4:10 pm

Sounds like you need the de-crapifier, it will remove all of the third-party stuff that Dell gets paid to pre-install. http://www.yorkspace.com/pc-de-crapifier/

geek
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2007, 4:16 pm

aylissa wrote:
We wiped the mother clean and reinstalled...

Woops, looks like my suggestion was a little too slow. :-/

lau
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2007, 4:38 pm

geek wrote:
Sounds like you need the de-crapifier, it will remove all of the third-party stuff that Dell gets paid to pre-install. http://www.yorkspace.com/pc-de-crapifier/

I looked at the site. Sounds good. Not just for Dells. I'll be interested to see if it finds anything on my XP install, when (if) I next boot XP. As mine is installed from clean, I don't think I've got anything I don't want. I'm just curious to see it in action.
I find Spybot an invaluable tool, but beware of imitation rebadged malware copies.

geek
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2007, 5:27 pm

Spywareblaster is good, too, not that you're likely to have many problems if you only use IE for system updates.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2007, 5:53 pm

geek wrote:
Spywareblaster is good, too, not that you're likely to have many problems if you only use IE for system updates.

Ah, but I don't even use IE for that anymore. For some reason, it was refusing to update a couple of things, a while back, so now I just use windizupdateWindizUpdate.