Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2014, 5:56 am

I know that the best course of action is to simply eat better and exercise but it's difficult for me. What diets do you guys suggest? I have chronic diarrhea. I eat pretty poorly and am aware of it.

I have read a little about probiotics, but it seems pretty scammy to me.

Anyone have IBS here?

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2014, 12:33 pm

First of all, I have not had IBS. My suggestion would be to take a good multivitamin and a good probiotic. Our bodies store vitamins and "good bacteria" in our gut and they need to be replaced .

IamRob
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Apr 2014, 2:00 am

I too have issues with this whether its ibs i dont know it was the only answer i could get.
As far as probiotics there is nothing to be scared of it reinforces the natural intestinal flora(bacteria that helps digest)look it up its nothing to worry about,though may not be the answer.maybe a diet higher in fibre can help and maybe gluten free foods can help as well regularity in diet can maybe help .do you drink milk?a lot of people lose the ability to digest milk properly as they get older.
What about stress,in my case things can get worse when im verry stressed,it can give me diahreah and makes me pee very often.
I hope some of this can help,i know how this can complicate things

IamRob
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Apr 2014, 2:02 am

Sorry i now see you said scammy in stead of scarry

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2014, 8:17 pm

Dairy products and food additives causes my IBS to act up,also foods that are greasy.
It's sad to realize that pizza with loads of cheese is now a thing of the past,I could have ate pizza everyday for every meal.

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 10:22 pm

IamRob wrote:
I too have issues with this whether its ibs i dont know it was the only answer i could get.
As far as probiotics there is nothing to be scared of it reinforces the natural intestinal flora(bacteria that helps digest)look it up its nothing to worry about,though may not be the answer.maybe a diet higher in fibre can help and maybe gluten free foods can help as well regularity in diet can maybe help .do you drink milk?a lot of people lose the ability to digest milk properly as they get older.
What about stress,in my case things can get worse when im verry stressed,it can give me diahreah and makes me pee very often.
I hope some of this can help,i know how this can complicate things

I said it was scammy because I watched a video by the company KeyBiotics and it made me want to vomit.

However, I suppose probiotics are not a bad thing in themselves.

Maybe I'll see a doctor about it one of these days.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2014, 12:15 am

I had IBS for ten long suffering miserable years. Stopped eating gluten and it took six months, but I am almost symptom free now. I went from about a 9 almost every single day to 0-3 depending on the day. Not sure why - maybe I'm allergic to something else too, or maybe I sometimes eat traces of gluten without knowing it.

I think IBS is actually a whole bunch of different diseases though since they tell you you have it when they don't know what you have. It's hard for some people to give up gluten - I was so sick for so long, I consider it the same as eating strychnine, wouldn't touch the stuff knowingly.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2014, 6:22 am

heavenlyabyss wrote:
However, I suppose probiotics are not a bad thing in themselves.

Maybe I'll see a doctor about it one of these days.

For anyone with IBS, I'd always recommend an intestinal cleanse if they've never done one.

1. Drink a whole bottle of Pepto Bismol (kills everything in your GI tract).

2. Take a saline laxative with lots of water to flush your GI tract out.

3. Take a quality fiber product (I recommend Colonix) as I find it not only scrubs your GI tract of anything "stuck" in it, but it should get you on regular and easy BMs within a month.

4. After a week or two of being on Colonix, take a quality probiotic for a month (I recommend Flora Protect probiotics).

This SHOULD cleanse your GI tract of anything bad and replenish your inventory of healthy bacteria.

If your IBR hasn't improved with this and a healthy diet for someone dealing with IBR, I'd be at a loss of what to try next. All I do know is that a lot of people have GI problems, and they have NEVER done a GI/bowel cleanse in their life. As the years pass, stuff gets stuck in there that needs to be removed or it causes problems.

IamRob
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Apr 2014, 2:10 pm

Not sure about 1-2 ,sounds a litte extreme.i do agree witht the fiber and probiotics.
Things do get stuck in there.im no expert but i think especialy meat.i remember a case on tv where the person had 20-60lbs of undigested or partialy undigested meat in his intestins or colon.cant remember the specifics,was a long time ago.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2014, 5:20 pm

I only advocate the first two steps because if you take probiotics and have a gut full of bad bacteria, the "fix" is going to take much longer than if you just "clean house" and start over.

Another thing people don't consider is if your doctor puts you on antibiotics, you probably need to do a cycle of probiotics when you get done because antibiotics don't discriminate in which bacteria they kill in your intestines.

IamRob
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Apr 2014, 7:41 pm

I do agree that it would take much much longer.its the whole bottle of pepto bismol that wories me,ive never used it and admit i dont know much about the product (medicinal content) it just seemed like a lot to take at once.
I am aware of the impact of antibiotics affecting bacteria inthe gi tract,its especialy the broad spectrum ones that are the worst.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2014, 6:14 am

It's safe.

I got a bout of food poisoning, and for a week afterward, anytime I had any dairy, I let loose with gas that could peel wallpaper.

I mentioned it to the pharmacist, and he told me that often there is residual bacteria still in the system from the food poisoning. Anything that was prime food for it (in this case, dairy) would make it flare up.

He told me to down a whole bottle of Pepto then the next day take the magnesium citrate laxative and drink plenty of water.

One would kill all the bacteria in my GI tract. The other would help flush it out. He suggested yogurt for replenishing the healthy bacteria.

IamRob
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Apr 2014, 11:50 am

Ok i see,it does make sense

Onoma
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Apr 2014, 11:18 am

I have had IBS all my life. I was first diagnosed at about 6 or 8 years old and the doctors were shocked at the time because they thought I was too young for some reason.

From what I can tell there seem to be broadly 2 types one with chronic constipation (often suggests more fibre)
one with chronic diarrhoea (in which case stay away from the fibre!) In fact i did read a medical article that said 'more fibre' for IBS is now outdated treatment, unfortunately I don't have the article reference because I did not realise I would need it at the time.

There are lots of foods that inflame your insides, for example, cabbage and onion. These need to be identified and omitted from the diet. Also stay away from anything with a laxative effect, like sorbitol or Xylitol, you know where it says 'excessive consumption can give laxative effects' for a person with chronic diarrhea, this is something to stay away from. Especially gum, almost all sugar free gum.

Processed foods can contain things that may well mess you up and so will foods that are too greasy.
It is important to remember if you do have chronic diarrhea you could be sensitive to milk, lactose, wheat or gluten and if very unlucky, even all of those, in which case it is important to get tested with your GP. There are also other more complicated conditions that can cause chronic diarrhea which I don't want to worry you about, but they are reasons why you should get checked out as well.

There is however no actual cure for IBS right now, what I am aware of anyway.

These 'friendly bacteria' in yoghurts and stuff have never helped me in any shape or form but maybe they will help you, in any case be careful about the ingredients because ones that contain plant sterols can also have quite the laxative effect on some people. I know 2 people that can't eat them.

Personally I would go to GP and not try anything that claims to 'flush out the system' that can be very bad for someone with IBS I foresee a very painful event. IBS is completely different from food poisoning and doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the bacteria in your stomach. Unlike Celiac disease in which case it is to do with the lack of an enzyme. This is all my personal advice, you don't have to take it, but I have had IBS all my life.

IamRob
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Apr 2014, 12:13 pm

Thanks for the advice.im not going to flush as it often does it by its self.its not cronic semdays yes some no.which suggest there are foods that my system doesnt like.things have gotten a little more on scedule over the past few years.it happens in the in the morning(used to be any time)and is more "normal"if i have to go at night(thats wierd,what happens at night?)
I have been trying to experiment with lactose free milk and gluten free.gluten is in many things so its not easy.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2014, 2:40 am

see the thread in my sig.