Going to the toilet when others are around

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2014, 12:46 am

Posted this in another thread but curious if others have similar experiences

...until my early Thirties I had issues (pretty bad ones in my teens) going to the toilet when others were present, I was never consciously worried about what others thought though (in fact as a small child, even though I wanted parents out of the room when going on a potty, once I was toilet trained I'd happily drop my pants in public to indicate I needed to pee), their presence just distracted me.

To this day I sometimes have nightmares where I need to pee but there are only shared or open toilets available, no stalls.

Perkulator
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Apr 2014, 2:02 am

Hmmm...... I think I would probably die from a busted bladder or embarrassment :oops: . When I was growing up almost every time I went into the bathroom my mother would open the door and start talking to me about (whatever). She wouldn't come in and close the door, she would stand there with it open so anyone could see when they passed by, and there were a lot of people in my family. I never knew why she couldn't talk to me either before or after being in the bathroom. I suppose that shall remain a mystery because I don't speak to my parents anymore. :)

IamRob
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Apr 2014, 3:07 am

Yes,ive had that issue for a long time now.i dont remember how or when it started but i have a hard if not sometimes impossible to go (especialy urination)when i can hear people outside the door or in the next room.makes things in public difficult eg.bars,restaurants,those stupid urinal troths.bathrooms with fans help.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2014, 3:34 am

Those kind of nightmares are probably little more than your brain trying to wake you up to go to the bathroom so you don't pee in your bed.

Aharon
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2014, 3:46 am

I'm a shy #2'er. Can't go, stall or not, if I'm not alone.

We are not so different from potted plants in that, if given everything we need to be properly nourished, the outcome can be incredibly contrary to when we are not. A flower won't grow in flour, and neither can we.

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2014, 4:30 am

1401b wrote:
Those kind of nightmares are probably little more than your brain trying to wake you up to go to the bathroom so you don't pee in your bed.

Oh definitely, but usually people seem to dream they can't find a toilet, not that all toilets are open plan.

Hehe, last time I went for a pee in a corn field in a dream I wet the bed... I was only about eight, mind.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2014, 11:43 am

I don't mind peeing in open stalls, pooping, I would rather be more private.

Wreck It Ralph

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2014, 1:29 pm

When I was a kid I avoided pooping at school. I still avoid pooping at school and other public places. I hate listening or watching other people go to the bathroom and I hate when people listen or watch me go to the bathroom.

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2014, 1:32 pm

When I saw those Sochi toilet pictures, it was like my nightmares come true...

IamRob
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Apr 2014, 1:41 pm

Omg.i woulh have let myself explode before using those.well i wouldndt let that happen,would have tried to find a wooded area or more private single wash rooms.

Aharon
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2014, 3:49 pm

I would definitely be looking for a large bush or a dumpster if THAT was the only alternative.

We are not so different from potted plants in that, if given everything we need to be properly nourished, the outcome can be incredibly contrary to when we are not. A flower won't grow in flour, and neither can we.

Eccles_the_Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2014, 3:49 pm

Back when I briefly worked in telephone technical support I used to go to the toilets to escape. Sitting there with the lights out and red flashes in front of my eyes from the stress it was the only way I could cope. As for using them for their normal function, no worries.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2014, 7:48 pm

I doesn't bother me that much if others are around, but I prefer to avoid it. What bothers me more is how clean or dirty the bathroom is and how difficult it is to get in and out of the stall (some are so small you almost have to stand on the toilet to be able to close the door). I would rather use a single bathroom where I am the only one in the room, rather than a large bathroom with stalls. But it doesn't bother me that much.

However I do have those nightmares where I can't find a private toilet, or a clean one. I dream about impossibly huge public restrooms, that have dozens, if not hundreds of stalls, but not in long neat rows. Instead they are just built with no rhyme or reason, in all kinds of odd shapes and sizes, in strangely angled corners. Sometimes they have no doors, and they are all connected together, so I just keep walking through one stall after another never finding one that is private. Sometimes the walls are only waist high. And the toilets are always filthy, if not broken and leaking water all over the floor.

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2014, 11:28 pm

Is there a solution to these kinds of problems? Depends!

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2014, 1:53 am

dianthus wrote:
However I do have those nightmares where I can't find a private toilet, or a clean one. I dream about impossibly huge public restrooms, that have dozens, if not hundreds of stalls, but not in long neat rows. Instead they are just built with no rhyme or reason, in all kinds of odd shapes and sizes, in strangely angled corners. Sometimes they have no doors, and they are all connected together, so I just keep walking through one stall after another never finding one that is private. Sometimes the walls are only waist high. And the toilets are always filthy, if not broken and leaking water all over the floor.

Yes I get the waist high stalls bit in dreams too, although usually they also have at least two toilets per cubicle, or just a row of toilets with no stalls.

I do appreciate it's my subconscious trying to make me wake up because I really need to pee, but it's cruel to keep showing me toilets like that. I'd rather not find a toilet. Worse still I then often also have my "sudden water" phobia almost made fun of, by having sensor showers blast me with water from all over while trying to find a toilet in my dream.

I appreciate it's my subconscious going "The silly cow still doesn't get the message, let's get the bucket of water out!"...

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2014, 2:57 am

It depends. If I'm oblivious to them as I am often oblivious to others around me and my surroundings, it's no problem. All I really notice is the urinal and do my thing. Though I can get confused about how to get out of larger public restrooms. If however, it's crowded and noisy then it can become a sensory overload thing and I have to go into a stall and sit down with my eyes closed and ears plugged.