The kid should have been beheaded 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
As usual, school administrators have stifled free speach 42%  42%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 19

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2014, 1:18 am

http://www.ydr.com/local/ci_25594029/ce ... erica-prom

As usual, administration in this district have a bug up their collective arses.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2014, 2:14 am

Is coitus possible? Why is the school have their thong in a wadded state?

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2014, 8:32 am

khaoz wrote:
Is coitus possible? Why is the school have their thong in a wadded state?

In this district, as well as other school districts in South Central PA, the prevailing attitude is that students have NO rights. I'm still waiting for a parent to sue the living day lights out of any of these school districts.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2014, 1:55 pm

It's his prom. He should invite Miss America if he wants to.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2014, 7:52 pm

Typical school administrators taking themselves too seriously....

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 1:36 am

As is typical with such "news" reports, the story makes no mention of the actual reason he was suspended, inviting the reader to assume the reason. Perhaps they don't know the reason, because the school never made it public and the student chose not to say it either. In this case the ethical thing would be to not publish a story, rather than publish a misleading one.

So, as long as we're all guessing the reason here, my guess is:

1) he got suspended for using somebody else's hard work to look cool in front of his classmates
2) for stealing the attention from whatever the stated purpose of her visit was
3) having done such things before (the article does mention that)
4) and after having been specifically warned not to do it

To give him credit, at least he says he seems to understand that it wasn't really all that cool - or at least he's smart enough to say so in an interview.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 4:30 am

^^^ What do you mean with number 1?

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 5:16 am

I meant that somebody must have put in a fair bit of effort to get Miss America to come and speak at the school and there was probably some purpose behind that. We don't know what it was, but it surely wasn't for this guy to ask her out in public.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 6:01 am

FMX wrote:
I meant that somebody must have put in a fair bit of effort to get Miss America to come and speak at the school and there was probably some purpose behind that. We don't know what it was, but it surely wasn't for this guy to ask her out in public.

From what I've seen him asking her out was only a short moment, and she didn't mind, so it did not detract from the event. Some of the other kids found it funny. All in all, it seems to me to be just a light-hearted moment. The punishment is draconian, as a school it is your mission to teach children, and that's why denying kids education is a horrible punishment. To me the only valid reason for suspension is if they excessively disturb the learning environment of other kids, not for something as innocent as this. I think the school officials are just pissed off because he ignored their ad hoc rule. May have hurt their feelings of self-importance.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2014, 8:30 pm

In a different story in the same newspaper, the student that was given the suspension said he was going to do it as a joke. Administration warned him that he would be suspended if he went through with this stunt. He did, and hence, the suspension. Miss America even pleaded with administration to reverse the punishment.

I can see the punishment if this kid was threatening bodily harm to Miss America, but for a simple prank of just asking her to the prom, even if it were meant as a joke? The only reason Miss America was even at this jerk water of a school was to speak on diversity, of all things. Anyhow, the kid made national media this morning, appearing on the NBC Today show.