Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Timelady
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 5:11 pm

I read a book about " All Cats have Aspergers"

Cats are a similar to Aspergers, they like sleeping alone, same routines, hate changes, fussy eaters, curiousity, some rather have no friends, I saw pictures of cats on the computer.

I think there Aspergers.

What do you think?

Mnemosyne
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 5:12 pm

No, they're just cats. That's normal for cats.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 5:31 pm

Give me a break! I guess all dogs are autistic too because they shake water off and scratch fleas! :roll:

Steve

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 5:37 pm

Cats are just cats. That is mainly their natural behaviour. Not all cats are the same anyway, many would see each has it's own unique personality, just as we do.

And to the above, I see no reason for sarcasm in response to the poster.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Feb 2007, 5:49 pm

Graelwyn wrote:
Cats are just cats. That is mainly their natural behaviour. Not all cats are the same anyway, many would see each has it's own unique personality, just as we do.

And to the above, I see no reason for sarcasm in response to the poster.

That's what I thought, when I saw the topic; that cats are just cats. Fortunately, since they have their own, normal behavior, they escape the many labels that people are afflicted with.

maldoror
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 5:59 pm

Maybe I missed the boat, but I don't think she meant to suggest that cat's actually have a pervasive developmental disorder...

DrowningMedusa
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 7:31 pm

I think AS and all PDDs are unique to humans.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 7:37 pm

Cats have extremely good body language though the cat may not always be aware of it. (in the case where Cow Kitty poofed her tail after being outside, yet showed no signs on her face or ears that would indicate fear, I'm thinking maybe she was afraid but didn't want to discourage me from bringing her out again)

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 7:40 pm

The ancient Egyptians worshipped cats as gods.
Cats have never forgotten this ! !! !

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 8:05 pm

Cats have very distinct social behavior amongst their own that is consistent for cats. If you view a cat within human terms, you'll see AS traits, but you are looking at them within your social context and not theirs. People also say that about cats and OCD by the way. They do have a feline disorder like OCD, but none like AS. I have a Siamese named Annie and I tease her that she's Annierexic. She takes three licks of food and runs laps for 10 minutes. But, I do know that I am humanizing her when I say that.

YowlingCat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 8:05 pm

I worship my furball. He maketh me lie down in dander.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 8:22 pm

I don't think they are, but I can see where you're coming from. I can relate to a cat far better than I can to a person. People have told me that I was probbaly a cat in my past life, too.

Kosmonaut
Veteran
Veteran

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 9:14 pm

Kosmonaut wrote:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=anthropomorphism

That's right! :wink:

krex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 9:37 pm

The concept of the book is to help "young children" learn about Aspergers.I dont think the author really meant that this is a "disorder effecting all cats"....but NORMAL traits in cats.Some of the traits dont apply at all (cats dont wear clothes)but used very cute kitty pictures to explain AS traits to people who dont know about it.It is very simplistic,and in my opinion perpetuates some stereo-types by "implying" that everyone with AS have all the traits to the same degree...but when you are explaining a new concept,I guess you begin simplifying it.I wish they would have clarified this,though,because I think it is deceptive and misleading.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 10:02 pm

I think that might be why I like cats - because they act in a way I can relate to more. Dogs are more of those wild party animals who go out, run about yelling, and go around doing stunts trying to impress people. Cats are the quiet people who walk around minding their own business and staying out of the way unless they really need something.