Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Goku
Raven
Raven

19 Feb 2007, 5:15 pm

Hi. I have a 14yo son dx with asperger's and have wondered about a possible comorbid mood issue. He doesn't really fit depression or bipolar though and I just read an interesting article about moodiness when between interests.

My son seems lost, restless and irritable and complains of boredom when he's not focused on an interest. Can anybody relate? Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Last edited by Goku on 19 Feb 2007, 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katrine
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 5:35 pm

Yep. A lot of autistic kids hate "breaks". My son functions best with a full schedule! In between activities, I give him options to choose between: drawing, building, nintendo (but my son is a lot younger than your son).
What are your son's interests?

Goku
Raven
Raven

19 Feb 2007, 6:31 pm

Hi Katrine. Thanks for the response.

He likes video games, tv and music but pretty much only plays DragonballZ games, only watches cartoon network shows and only listens to a few select CDs (while he's watching tv) and only for a short time.

But his most favorite thing is talking to his friend on the phone. He wants to call him all the time and is really stressed and upset if he can't reach him or if he doesn't call back when he said he was going to. I'm sure this kid's parents think we're nuts letting him call so often but he's a frantic mess if he doesn't get his daily fill of the pretend game they play - a morphed DragonballZ scenario complete with dating girls and pesky siblings. He's an only child by the way.

I'm sure this is a great learning tool - practicing real-life scenarios with a real person but it's a nightmare to redirect. You can imagine the problem if his obsession with a person wasn't reciprocated. I shudder to think of the repercussions.

Now that I typed this out, I guess he does have a current obsession. I should have titled this thread: What if your obsession is another person?

Last edited by Goku on 19 Feb 2007, 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DrowningMedusa
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 7:35 pm

The fuller (and more well organized) my schedule is, the better my mood!

Goku
Raven
Raven

19 Feb 2007, 7:54 pm

Thanks for your feedback DrowningMedusa.

The problem is that he won't sign up for any activity or take any of my suggestions to fill his time. Now that he's a teen, he resents my interference and really doesn't want to be distracted from his current obsession. He's never been easy to redirect. Any suggestions?

katrine
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2007, 11:08 am

As my son is only 8, I don't know whether I really can help. But could you give him a certain number om minutes on the phone every day and when they are used, that is it? Also explain that there are social rules about when to phone, how often ect.
How does the other kid react to your son?
Could your son be encouraged to play with some other friends?
My son is also quite hard to occupy. We let him use a lot of time on the computer and playstation than we would if he wasn't autistic, as filling in time can be difficult.

Aspiegirl89
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Feb 2007, 5:09 pm

I often get very moody in between interests...I feel lost! There's nothing for me to devote y tie and energy to! I just kind of wander around, irritable, listening to music to occupy me while I find something to do with my time that I'd normally spend doing the interest that waned before.

I don't think it is uncommon for that to happen. Try to get your child interested in something else...maybe an activity or a class.

indigoiis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Feb 2007, 1:28 pm

I was just noticing that now, during school vacation week, my daughter has become your classic teenaged nightmare. I was wondering this morning if it was due to lack of routine. She doesn't enjoy school and isn't the best student, but I think the structure really gives her something to "do."

Aspiegirl89
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Feb 2007, 1:42 pm

indigoiis wrote:
I was just noticing that now, during school vacation week, my daughter has become your classic teenaged nightmare. I was wondering this morning if it was due to lack of routine. She doesn't enjoy school and isn't the best student, but I think the structure really gives her something to "do."

Without our normal routines, it is quite possible that your daughter lacks something to do and is uncomfortable with the situation. I'd get her some new books or give her something to get into when there's time off from school. My mother used to take me to the library before I could drive myself and I'd pick out ten books; for often than not, I'd finish those in two days and we'd go back for more until I'd had my fill...

It certainly takes the boredom out of a vacation; especially for an aspie.

~Annie~

briangwin33
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Feb 2007, 12:19 am

Goku wrote:
The problem is that he won't sign up for any activity or take any of my suggestions to fill his time. Now that he's a teen, he resents my interference and really doesn't want to be distracted from his current obsession. He's never been easy to redirect. Any suggestions?

Stop trying to redirect. It may have been possible when a child but now it will be counterproductive, producing reflexive opposition. How do you you respond to being "redirected?" Doesn't being nudged toward something make one resentful and obstinate even if the thing was something that might have otherwise held some interest? Being sullen, lost, and irritable between interests is just the way things are going to be. There isn't too much you can do, anything you will do will be resented, and it's not your fault - so give yourself a break.

Goku
Raven
Raven

24 Feb 2007, 11:24 am

Thanks for your take on this briangwin33.

My gut feeling was to leave him alone also but with all the conflicting information out there, it's hard not to doubt yourself.

At the moment, we have a good relationship and I don't want to mess with that so I will back off.