Do you think computers are destroying the world?

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2021, 1:48 pm

Are computers destroying the world?
Well, as far as I've been able to discover, the Terminator movies were not documentaries.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2021, 2:13 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
... the Terminator movies were not documentaries.
Neither were Colossus: The Forbin Project nor War Games.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2021, 1:15 am

The internet is good for some things but it is now destroying mankind, because we are letting computers take over.

The internet has so much false information that it's hard to know what's false and what isn't, which is very anxiety-triggering.

People no longer have privacy, everything's recorded. Someone could be in need of help but all people prefer to do is to film it rather than phone for an ambulance or help them.

The internet is destroying local businesses and it'd be sad not having that sense of community any more.

Too much hacking and scams going on.

Society is forcing people to use the internet more and more every day but when applying for financial support if you're unemployed, you don't get any help towards your internet bill because they still consider it a luxury.

As a form of protest I refuse to use Amazon and Netflix and other internet sites and businesses that are destroying mankind. It makes my life harder but it feels worth it to me.

I prefer to use my brain rather than revolve my whole life around a computer.

Please don't be annoying and call me a hypocrite for using WP all the time when knowing I dislike the computer era. Like I said, the internet is useful for some things but I don't let it control my life.

Doesn't it seem funny that the coronavirus mostly kills the elderly (the generation with the least knowledge of today's technology) but hardly affects children (the generation with the most knowledge of today's technology and are our future)? I think China wants everybody to become screen slaves sooner rather than later.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2021, 1:44 am

what happens when the puters no longer work?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

08 May 2021, 3:12 am

Fnord wrote:
Computers do not destroy worlds.

People with computers destroy worlds.
Haven't you watched any science fiction :wink: Artificial intelligence can decimate worlds :skull:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2021, 4:30 am

The Internet is destroying the world...according to some guy on Utube whom I saw...on the Internet.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2021, 5:03 am

Thanks for putting a word in for my livelihood folks. :(

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2021, 8:28 am

Joe90 wrote:
The internet is good for some things but it is now destroying mankind, because we are letting computers take over.

The internet has so much false information that it's hard to know what's false and what isn't, which is very anxiety-triggering.

There is just as much false information as it was in any media since humans learned how to communicate, but we have immediate access to information from countless sources, it makes it much easier to detect BS.

Quote:
People no longer have privacy, everything's recorded. Someone could be in need of help but all people prefer to do is to film it rather than phone for an ambulance or help them.

But it also means transparency. A lot of shady stuff is less likely to happen because any bystander can record and stream it live. You can't easily destroy camera and film to cover anything like it was 50 years ago. GPS and mobile phones make emergency situations magnitudes or order less dangerous.

Quote:
The internet is destroying local businesses and it'd be sad not having that sense of community any more.

Internet made it easier for many local businesses to be discovered and in many instances easier to compete against giant corporations.

Quote:
Too much hacking and scams going on.

Before internet scammers could get away with the same scam for decades moving from city to city, now information spreading in a matter of hours and you can easily google to verify any claims and call BS. Before internet check or credit card forgery could be detected only days or weeks later, it was much easier to steal this way.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2021, 8:35 am

Blaming and fear mongering is not new. It was the same with books, comics, radio, movies, television. Now it's internet/social networks. Nothing new here.

Social networks don't make people depressed. Depressed people turn to social networks to cope.

Internet doesn't destroy the world, sh***y people use internet to do sh***y things like any other available tool.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2021, 3:37 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Society is forcing people to use the internet more and more every day but when applying for financial support if you're unemployed, you don't get any help towards your internet bill because they still consider it a luxury.
I completely agree. We are being required to use the net more & more & high-speed broadband should be considered essential. Your practically required to have high-speed net access in order to apply for assistance with various things. So many government programs, especially nowadays after the pandemic started, tell people to go online for things. There are still parts of the US where high-speed broadband does not exist or is super expensive. Like there is no cable or DSL lines in certain areas so people still have to use satellite net options which require professional installation & a clear view of the sky to send & receive signals. Some people have to cut down a bunch of trees in order to achieve that view. There is also likely to be a very high monthly costs for having their service. The good news is that cuz of the pandemic some areas in the US are expanding high-speed broadband access. For example Vermont(where I moved to like 9 years ago) started a program where they will pay for cable lines to be installed for needy households in areas don't have cable or DSL lines. Some of the criteria is that the households are fairly close to cable lines & the net is now essential for a member of the household cuz of education or medical reasons. I very recently took a survey/poll from Xfinity where they mentioned a program where the government would give certain households a credit to pay for their net access from high-speed broadband providers like Xfinity. I don't remember many details about the program though but I'm pretty sure the households have to be very low income & I think the net has to be essential for education or medical reasons. It's probably a program that Biden is trying to get going. For a while after the pandemic started, Xfinity was allowing some households to keep net access if their bill was unpaid. The households had to be low income & have an essential need for net access.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2021, 4:47 pm

Many things are already destroyed and ruined in the name of dependence and convenience, out of ignorance and apathy. :lol:

It matters not how. Or why. Or with what. It is simply because humans can.

And will because of demand, or that because they cannot let it go of what it is sustains that dependence. :mrgreen: Or their idea of progress is.
Or merely because everyone else is doing it too. :P :oops:

Making humanity 'convenient' by making them dependent of said convenience is just one of the many ways to do it.

Computers are not destroying the world.
Those who are exploiting it do.

It is not about the rock.
It's the ones who's throwing it where and to whatever end.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2021, 4:51 pm

I think humans are doing a good enough job, we have many tools that aid us and greed to be destructive, careless and wasteful.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2021, 5:40 am

Joe90 wrote:
Lots of small local businesses would not be able to weather out an extended shutdown period like the pandemic caused(some areas were forced to shut down a lot more than others) without incorporating the internet. Some small local businesses are successful these days in general because they rely on the net for things like buying & selling things online, online advertising & promoting, & communication. Info can be listed on the site or emailed to potential customers & clients instead of mailing info packets & people can fill out forms online instead of mailing paperwork back & forth which saves trees.

Joe90 wrote:
Doesn't it seem funny that the coronavirus mostly kills the elderly (the generation with the least knowledge of today's technology) but hardly affects children (the generation with the most knowledge of today's technology and are our future)? I think China wants everybody to become screen slaves sooner rather than later.
The virus also kills lots of people with serious health issues some of whom are kids, teens, & young adults. A teen with a serious immune deficiency can obtain their education online & learn to work from home by using the net instead of them being forced to drop out & rely on their family & government welfare for the rest of their life cuz going out to work would be extremely risky.

More than a small amount of adults these days complain about kids & teens staying home using the net instead of going out & doing stuff but kids & teens are aLOT more likely to get shot, mugged, beat up, raped, & join gangs by going out & doing things like going to school & playing in public parks than they would staying home on the net all day.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2021, 7:03 am

I am so grateful that computers and İnternet exist. Back when i was a child i spent all my time reading books. If the internet didn't exist i would have much less ways of expressing myself and i would be much less functioning too i think. I would have committed suicide long ago maybe.