Page 3 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 6:59 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
OK, but how would we strengthen Mars' magnetic field so that it can block out radiation?

might not be possible with any conceivable technology, as it would involve rebuilding Mars so that it had a substantially mobile magnetic metallic core. according to Tim Sharp at Space.com, Mars' center probably has a solid core composed of iron, nickel, and sulfur of roughly 1,800-2,400 miles in diameter. The core is immobile, and so Mars has no magnetic field. Without the shield of a magnetic field, radiation bombards the planet making it relatively hostile a place compared to Earth.

Couldn't we build an external one, like an exoskeleton of sorts? I was thinking maybe they could start out making a relatively small "habitable zone", then they could spread out from there. Like the way I'm thinking of it, you could put up some radiation-hardened towers, and find some way to generate a magnetic field between the towers, then put your bases or whatever in the middle surrounded by the towers.

it has to be mostly planet-wide or the bulk of the atmosphere would take the path of least resistance into space.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 8:15 pm

Sethno wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Not a chance. It is too cold out there.

ruveyn

Are you talking about Uranus and Neptune, or Mars?

He probably meant Uranus and Neptune (the two farthest from the sun true planets). Mars is one of our two next door neighbors. Though its not exactly balmy either.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 8:16 pm

mars is like the kernel of corn in the cosmic popper that didn't quite pop.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 8:17 pm

auntblabby wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
OK, but how would we strengthen Mars' magnetic field so that it can block out radiation?

might not be possible with any conceivable technology, as it would involve rebuilding Mars so that it had a substantially mobile magnetic metallic core. according to Tim Sharp at Space.com, Mars' center probably has a solid core composed of iron, nickel, and sulfur of roughly 1,800-2,400 miles in diameter. The core is immobile, and so Mars has no magnetic field. Without the shield of a magnetic field, radiation bombards the planet making it relatively hostile a place compared to Earth.

Couldn't we build an external one, like an exoskeleton of sorts? I was thinking maybe they could start out making a relatively small "habitable zone", then they could spread out from there. Like the way I'm thinking of it, you could put up some radiation-hardened towers, and find some way to generate a magnetic field between the towers, then put your bases or whatever in the middle surrounded by the towers.

it has to be mostly planet-wide or the bulk of the atmosphere would take the path of least resistance into space.

Ah, but I wouldn't implement an atmosphere until it's planet-wide. In its starting phases, it would just be a radiation shield, nothing more, nothing less.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 8:25 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Ah, but I wouldn't implement an atmosphere until it's planet-wide. In its starting phases, it would just be a radiation shield, nothing more, nothing less.

maybe an advanced level 1 [kardachev scale] civilization might be able to swing it. for reference, we are level 0 at present.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 12:17 am

auntblabby wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

maybe an advanced level 1 [kardachev scale] civilization might be able to swing it. for reference, we are level 0 at present.

Of course. I wasn't implying we actually had the technology for it yet, it's just a little far-fetched sci-fi type idea I had. ;)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 12:18 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Of course. I wasn't implying we actually had the technology for it yet, it's just a little far-fetched sci-fi type idea I had. ;)

god bless you :) this world needs more people like you with more ideas :idea: :star:

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 5:44 am

auntblabby wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

god bless you :) this world needs more people like you with more ideas :idea: :star:

Thanks. :) I actually come up with ideas like this all the time, though being that I have no scientific background, and that the only science courses I've taken past 10th grade were the 11th grade levels of chemistry and biology, both of which I barely passed, I doubt anyone in the scientific community would take any of them seriously.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 6:06 am

auntblabby wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Well...strictly speaking its not Uranus that youre shaving, but the two moons.

Correct?

the two moons of Uranus and the rings of uranus

Don't forget avoiding the event horizon of the black hole. :lol:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 10:55 am

zer0netgain wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Well...strictly speaking its not Uranus that youre shaving, but the two moons.

Correct?

the two moons of Uranus and the rings of uranus

Don't forget avoiding the event horizon of the black hole. :lol:

or for some folks, constellation H.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 4:54 pm

First we have to learn how to send a person further than the moon before we start worrying about terraforming planets and setting up colonies. We're not quite as advanced as we often pretend to be! A big reason for that is that space travel, in its current state, is a huge money sink and doesn't generate any profits. If we could find a way to make trillions of dollars by sending people into space, I'm sure we'd have colonies on Pluto by the end of the decade!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 4:57 pm

Stargazer43 wrote:
First we have to learn how to send a person further than the moon before we start worrying about terraforming planets and setting up colonies. We're not quite as advanced as we often pretend to be! A big reason for that is that space travel, in its current state, is a huge money sink and doesn't generate any profits. If we could find a way to make trillions of dollars by sending people into space, I'm sure we'd have colonies on Pluto by the end of the decade!

I wonder how much could be made by mining the moon [among other business and industrial propositions]?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 9:32 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Stargazer43 wrote:

I wonder how much could be made by mining the moon [among other business and industrial propositions]?

The unmanned progams are very profitable. Think of all the communication satellites out there They are what joins the world together.

The manned programs are money sinks.

ruveyn

Don_Pedro_Zamacona
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Apr 2014, 11:15 pm

Terraforming is a pipe dream. Even Mars can never be terraformed because it has no magnetic field as a result of geological death.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2014, 11:06 am

If Ur anus is big enough to terraform I would suggest laying off fast food.

Sorry guys, I couldn't resist :cry:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2014, 8:19 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
If Ur anus is big enough to terraform I would suggest laying off fast food.

Sorry guys, I couldn't resist :cry:

constellation H is not far behind.