What's your favorite clothing texture?

Page 4 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Suspie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jul 2012, 2:17 pm

cotton as in tee shirt type fabric, cashmere and linen.

little_black_sheep
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jul 2012, 2:22 pm

Fleece and flannel 8)

Every morning in Africa, an antelope wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion, or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest antelope, or it will starve. It doesn't matter if you're

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 2:23 pm

richardbenson wrote:
corduroy

This!

I actually have 3 pairs of corduroy pants that I wear fairly regularly.

I myself am allergic to polyester so I have to avoid that, even in my pillows.

little_black_sheep
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jul 2012, 3:33 pm

Mmmhhh... I wish there was some kind of Aspie shop with clothes that are both pretty and also warm and soft and natural and everything. It seems we have pretty similar preferences. I'd love to have much more clothes like that. Isn't there any designer on WP who wants to open a new business? :D

Every morning in Africa, an antelope wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion, or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest antelope, or it will starve. It doesn't matter if you're

TheRedPedant93
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2019, 12:03 pm

Favourites:

Pima Cotton (some of which is known as Supima): soft, smooth, silky and luxurious feeling, literally get induced with sensory euphoria from touching and rubbing it when wearing them – mostly from black and dark navy knit wear/polo shirts. Hoping to find a lovely deep royal blue v-neck pima cotton sweater one day, but such a colour and garment fabric combination is very rare. The quality and tactility varies depending on the designer brand that manufactured it.

Cashmere: very soft, but expensive and very challenging to care and wash (it's a hand washable garment) so it’s only worth wearing on sporadic events or during a very cold winter day. I only have three of these (one vintage rich deep red v-neck, one vintage light grey v-neck (to be hand dyed black or dark navy) and one brand new dark navy crew neck).

Silk: similar reasons for Cashmere.

Cotton/Silk/Cashmere Blends: getting the right percentage balance of blends (e.g. 85% cotton and 15% cashmere - 70% cotton, 20% silk and 10% cashmere etc) can create a soft and silky feeling, far more preferable than the cheap natural fiber and synthetic fiber mixture percentage blends which are no doubt mass produced.

Virgin Wool: very delicate and extra finely woven compared with your average merino garment – difficult to treat and often very expensive.

Soft, smooth, silky, delicate leathers (what I own such as a black leather blazer are vintage and second hand).

Thick luxurious velvets (would never wear them though).

It's worth that the fabric garments will vary in it's tactile stimulation from whatever designer brand and their unique manufacturing of the materials it was developed from (e.g. some 100% cotton garments feel bulky, others are more softer).

Least Favourites:

Lambswool: A big no no for me, most autistics presumably can hardly bear the excruciating and intolerable discomfort from wearing this cactus like fiber anyway. I'm so aversively hypersensitive to it that it inhibits my mood stability (very irritable) and my occupational functioning in parallel with constrictive garments such as turtlenecks (irrespective of its material). Even the the so-called pure and "extra fine" ones are uncomfortable on skin contact.

Acrylic: cheap, and many acrylic fibers feel bushy and uncomfortable like your average lambswool garment, on top of the use of deleterious toxic chemicals utilized in its manufacturing phases. I despise it when certain brands blend natural fibers (esp cotton) with this synthetic fiber on sweaters (e.g. 50% cotton, 50% acrylic).

Polyester: cheap, flimsy, harsh on skin contact, uncomfortable, and it’s a petroleum by-product, need I say more. I only wear it in trench coats that are often mixed with natural or other synthetic blends.

Pure Wool: With the exception of formal overcoats which I own (internal lining protection material), any 100% pure woolens other than cashmere or virgin wool often feels similar to the more exponentially uncomfortable lambswool, which includes more cheaply produced merino woolens. Only the more luxurious and extra fine merinos produced by independent designer brands are tolerable – again these are rare and expensive.

Nylon: cheap and often used as a cheaper alternative and synthetic blend with cotton fibers (e.g. 80% cotton 20% nylon).

Suede.

Any synthetic fibers (other than viscose and modal which can can have a soft and silky cotton mimicry) I try to avoid as much as possible. One elusive and devious way to make a synthetic garment soft is to create a mixture blend balance of rayon, polyester and polyamide, of which I have felt recently at my local TkMaxx store.

Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 1 out of 200
Alexithymia Questionnaire: 166/185 AQ: 49/50 EQ: 9/80

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2019, 10:31 pm

I like cotton(especially Egyptian), satin and anything synthetic that is smooth/silky/soft/cool to the touch fabric made from polyester, rayon, nylon, elastane, spandex, polyamide. Flannel is nice for bedsheets in the winter, but not fleece. I really hate fleece feels like its constantly saturated in filth to my skin and it doesn't last either, it goes all bally in the wash. Wool feels like sandpaper so I don't like that either. Suede as long as its not against my skin. I got one suede hoodie that I really like the look of and tolerate, but wear a t-shirt underneath. Leather is okay in a coat.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2019, 12:00 am

I can barely tolerate wearing jeans (I have one pair) but I do like the alternative of Tencel, which is soft to touch and much more comfortable than denim.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2019, 7:54 pm

VELVET
it’s hard to remember that it’s awkward to rub myself all over when i’m wearing velvet. it’s just so nice!! !
i now own a whole black velvet outfit except for velvet shoes. i need to find the right ones