23 Apr 2014, 9:42 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwNvIM2W9Aw[/youtube]

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2014, 11:40 am

Max000 wrote:
Yuzu wrote:
Personally, I think Japan should just stop whaling all together so that those sea shepherd as*holes can take their pirate business elsewhere. Where are they gonna go if they couldn't target "the evil Japanese"? Would people enjoy the show and support them the same if they were attacking Norwegians?

Yes, they have done that and I enjoy and support it. I see nothing racist about their efforts to stop illegal poaching.

Nordkapp-class offshore patrol vessel

Then why do they exclusively target Japan on the show? It's called "Whale Wars" for a reason.

Quote:
As Brendan O’Neill mentioned, anti-whalers have revived “World War II propaganda that tended to depict the Japanese as a uniquely wicked people.” The Sea Shepherd website is full of material that tells readers that the Japanese have a long history of brutality and dishonesty.

Below are a few quotations from Sea Shepherd founder and president Paul Watson. All are taken from official articles posted on Sea Shepherd’s homepage.

Paul Watson in November 2007:

The Japanese say that whaling is a matter of national pride. What kind of sick perverse culture can take pride in the cruel and bloody slaughter of whales and dolphins? oh yes, I almost forgot, the same culture responsible for the Rape of Nanking and the beheading of Australian, American, Canadian and Dutch soldiers and civilians.

Paul Watson in June 2006:

The brutal killing of whales has become an icon for the Japanese identity. This is not unusual. Japan has always closely identified with blood and slaughter. From the decapitations by the Samurai upon innocent peasants to the suicidal insanity of the Kamikaze, violence and self destruction have been a part of Japanese culture.

... whether intended or not, Sea Shepherd’s persistent use of World War II atrocities is extremely effective in encouraging the revival of old hatreds that existed in the 1940′s.
(Remember World War II: Sea Shepherd Depicts Japanese As Uniquely Cruel & Dishonest)

Quote:
While Japan is generally perceived as the leader in whale hunting, Norway still takes a significant number of whales. In 2010, Norway sought a higher quota than Japan from the International Whaling Commission. However, it is Japan that gets the vast majority of media attacks.
“The Cove,” a documentary about dolphin hunting in Taiji, Japan, featured a number of white activists going to Japan. They made the Japanese look like villains. It won an Academy Award in 2010. There will never be an Academy Award winning movie that bashes white Norwegians for hunting whales. Asians are a convenient scapegoat for the white American media.

(You Talkin’ To Me?: Racism sells: The anti-whaling movement and Japan)

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2014, 1:40 pm

Yuzu wrote:
Max000 wrote:
Yuzu wrote:
Personally, I think Japan should just stop whaling all together so that those sea shepherd as*holes can take their pirate business elsewhere. Where are they gonna go if they couldn't target "the evil Japanese"? Would people enjoy the show and support them the same if they were attacking Norwegians?

Yes, they have done that and I enjoy and support it. I see nothing racist about their efforts to stop illegal poaching.

Then why do they exclusively target Japan on the show? It's called "Whale Wars" for a reason.

I dono. Maybe because Japan kills more whales, then the entire rest of the world combined?

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2014, 2:09 pm

Max000 wrote:
Yuzu wrote:
Max000 wrote:
Yuzu wrote:

I dono. Maybe because Japan kills more whales, then the entire rest of the world combined?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-08/w ... es/5361954

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2014, 2:14 pm

when will mankind learn?

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2014, 2:34 pm

Yuzu wrote:
Max000 wrote:
Yuzu wrote:
Max000 wrote:
Yuzu wrote:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-08/w ... es/5361954

You seem to be selectively ignoring certain information. :roll: From that same page.

Last edited by Max000 on 23 Apr 2014, 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2014, 3:00 pm

Right. You have to understand that whaling has been a part of their culture like fox hunting for the Brits and bull fighting for the Spanish.
The question is, now the Norway has beaten Japan in Whale killing, would Sea Shepherd go after them in the show?
What do you think of the things Paul Watson saying about the Japanese? You agree with him and support him?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2014, 3:20 pm

Twenty twelve was apparently a fluke (no pun intended) because all the websites show that since 2008 Japan has killed twice as many whales as Norway, and has done half of the whale kills in the world.

The sea shephards have had Black crew members, and had a Japanese girl as a translator in one season.

They also did an episode devoted to their exploits interfering with the annual pilot whale slaughter in the Faroes Islands north of Scotland (populated by the extremely White descendents of norse vikings). So the Sea Shephards are nothing if not equal opportunity hooligans!

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2014, 3:35 pm

Yuzu wrote:
Right. You have to understand that whaling has been a part of their culture like fox hunting for the Brits and bull fighting for the Spanish.
The question is, now the Norway has beaten Japan in Whale killing, would Sea Shepherd go after them in the show?
What do you think of the things Paul Watson saying about the Japanese? You agree with him and support him?

I think it is more of a practical thing: many of the Sea Shepherd people are Europeans, they will probably get extradited to Norway if they mess with their ships. The audience of their crappy reality show is probably largely American and European too.
And tradition is a very weak argument to continue doing something. Many traditions are holding us back. Especially bullfighting is ridiculous and needs to go. If it were up to me the EU would ban it for all member states, like they have done for the death penalty.

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2014, 4:00 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Twenty twelve was apparently a fluke (no pun intended) because all the websites show that since 2008 Japan has killed twice as many whales as Norway, and has done half of the whale kills in the world.

Give me the links to all those websites. I'm having a hard time finding the exact yearly statistics of each country.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2014, 4:16 pm

trollcatman wrote:
And tradition is a very weak argument to continue doing something. Many traditions are holding us back. Especially bullfighting is ridiculous and needs to go. If it were up to me the EU would ban it for all member states, like they have done for the death penalty.

Tradition is quite important. Take away tradition and you take away constraints and influences on behavior considered important in country, region, group, ... . It is a very important part of herd mentality.

As for bullfighting, I would really like to see a bullfight. I don't have any idea how I would react to it. I might hate it. I might like it. I might be bored. I might be disgusted.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2014, 4:17 pm

if it were your pet bull [let's say you named it "Ferdinand"] would you enjoy seeing it get gored?

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2014, 4:27 pm

auntblabby wrote:
if it were your pet bull [let's say you named it "Ferdinand"] would you enjoy seeing it get gored?

Pet cattle aren't used in bull fights.

We used to have a pet steer at the house. Out of a load of cattle we bought once, one of the steers was clearly someone's pet. My niece kind of adopted the steer and that steer would follow her around almost like it was a pet dog. She named the steer Cutie Pie. When we sold the other cattle, we kept that steer back.

It was kind of funny to see an enormous steer following her around like the pet it was. When her little friends from school would come out, the sight of that steer would scare them, but for her, it wasn't much different than a poodle. Just a bit overgrown.

We kept that steer around until it was pretty old. When it was clearly starting to go downhill, we had it butchered and the meat ground into hamburger and donated the meat to the local food pantry.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2014, 4:39 pm

auntblabby wrote:

I remember that book from elementary school!

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2014, 4:42 pm

I know this is a controversial opinion, but I think that as long as it's done in a sustainable manner, and no endangered species are being killed, I don't see what's wrong with harvesting a whale or two. Sustainability is the key thing however, and if whales are being killed left and right with no regard for things like their species, their population numbers, or anything else like that, then I have a problem.

I think Japan is being quite dishonest with its whaling program, and I also think that they're being wasteful with a lot of the whales they are harvesting. I think if they were to fess up, and honestly admit that they just want to harvest whales for food, then maybe some better regulations would be put in place that would allow them to harvest say a few non-endangered whales a year for food, but no more.

As for how the whales themselves are actually killed and harvested, surely an exploding harpoon to the head isn't all that different than the captive bolt guns they use on cattle. As long as they aren't being tortured or killed in a slow, painful manner, I don't see the issue.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2014, 4:56 pm

Yuzu wrote:

I agree with and support Paul Watson. Also whaling is not a significant part of their culture. Only a small percentage of Japanese even eat whale. It's just a special business interest in Japan. Calling whaling part of Japanese culture, is like calling oil part of American culture. It's not culture, it's a business.