Veteran

22 Apr 2014, 12:34 pm

This is crazy beyond belief! :evil:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/04/22/8 ... y-attempt/

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2014, 1:17 pm

Charging disabled kids is ridiculous. And taking away his DS for life? That's a 10year old console. Meh. If I were a parent I would insist the school call me first and not the police. Police are for criminals, not children.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2014, 3:03 pm

trollcatman wrote:
Charging disabled kids is ridiculous. And taking away his DS for life? That's a 10year old console. Meh. If I were a parent I would insist the school call me first and not the police. Police are for criminals, not children.

the problem is they dont even have to call the police anymore the police are already at the school already ticket pad in hand. the police are in no way trained for these situations and just make a bad situation worse

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2014, 9:30 pm

The way things are I'm surprised they didn't call out the SWAT team and/or release K9's on him. We laugh at the idea now but in the next decade (or sooner) it could become reality and standard practice in the name of public and/or police officer safety. :x

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 6:00 am

If they're going to charge the kid, I hope at the very least he kicked the p*ssy cop's ass!

Bodyles
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 10:35 am

I'm sorry, but if these cops can't deal with a kid with some anger issues without provoking him unnecessarily or allowing him to destroy their property, they really need to be fired.

Moreover, charging an 8 year old at all in a court of law is just silly.
Many courts won't even let a child that young be sworn in as a witness because it's acknowledged that they may lack the necessary understanding to appreciate the nature of taking an oath to tell the truth & the consequences of violating it.
If a child is at an age where the concepts of truth & consequences are still relatively murky for many, charging them with crimes, even as a juvenile, seems ridiculous since commission of a crime, especially felonies like these require men rea, or criminal intent, that is the knowledge & understanding that their actions are against the law and what that mean in terms of the possible consequences.
Since this child is likely incapable of that level of understanding of his actions, even charging him is likely futile & at worst he'll get pled out with a misdemeanor & mandatory counseling, which he's probably already receiving. :roll:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 10:41 am

I wonder why the mom thinks forcing the kid to spend a day in a time out chair(how can you force a child to sit in a chair all day) and taking his DS for life is supposed to help matters....I don't know it just doesn't sound like a situation where the kid knew they were 'misbehaving' I mean why did they want to run away? Perhaps they felt threatened and then the cops just aggrevated it....so I don't understand the mom punishing him even more on top of what was probably already a rather traumatic experience he didn't understand....I sort of wonder if this spending a day in the time out chair was a common punishment from his mom, the article just makes it seem like the mom doesn't even acknowledge the kid has mental issues and punishes situations as if the kid was actually misbehaving. I am glad the step-dad or whatever tried to stick up for him...the mom seemed to more have the attitude of 'well look see, I punished him to.'

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 8:57 am

These people do understand that special needs kids don't fully grasp certain concepts like fighting police, right?