Is anyone usually affected by the news?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2014, 6:27 pm

I can't help but feel horrible every time they talk of the sunken ship e.g. especially since they were all so young... and today a Scottish boy who was found to be on fire a few days ago died... what a horrible last few days he must have spent. And a 2-year-old girl was killed recently too, for no reason anyone knows of yet... so many children are simply dying in horrible circumstances...

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2014, 6:54 pm

I've stopped paying attention to the news about a month ago because, in the end, it's just too depressing. I've been depressed myself and news just seems to add to it.

cannotthinkoff
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Apr 2014, 7:10 pm

Oddly it makes me feel happy and alive. It may sound horrible, but you know, "at least someone's got it worse", or "some people actually have real problems". Takes me out of my head a bit

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2014, 7:13 pm

People are affected because the news is a 24/365 cycle coming at you from every direction, so one story or event can be blown all out of proportion and context by so many news outlets continuously reporting on single events. Things like mass shootings, when reported nonstop on every channel continuously for a prolonged period of time can make a relatively rare event seem commonplace and drive irrational behavior. When you consider the population of the world, and the size of the world, and put these events in proper context they are really not common at all, which is why they are called "News." I think we all pretty much live in a box now and typically ignore the reality of taking events in context and not personalizing things so quickly on either an individual or collective level. The continuous news cycle makes it hard to do that. There are people who are capable of removing themselves from that cycle and remain grounded, but emotions like hatred and anger are addictive and media outlets are able to use that addiction for profit by manipulating emotion.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2014, 7:37 pm

I find myself needing to see the news everyday, or else I'm left with the feeling that I'm literally blind to what's going on with the rest of the planet. I've gone through periods of time where I wasn't able to have the news on for days, and I genuinely felt what can only be described as an anxious isolation.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

22 Apr 2014, 9:05 pm

I get a horrible frustrating, depressed, dark, morbid feeling from the news. My parents watch it every day. If I show up, they turn it off. It has a very negative impact on me. I just end up complaining about how horrible it is, why someone would watch that, why someone would do that, and how messed up in the head the newscasters must be for smiling through the whole thing like everyone is having such a great day. I think it's ugly.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2014, 9:16 pm

The older a person is, I think, the more likely they are to be influenced by watching the news. I can go without newspapers or tv/radio news. I just randomly glance at news online, but older people, it seems, are glued to news at the appointed network time, everyday, on cue.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2014, 10:18 pm

I'm 43, and I don't see myself watching it in the distant future anytime later. After a bad "rare event" in the family, that made the news media flock like a bunch of hungry feral animals, I really have absolutely no respect for most of them. In fact it would be nice if at least one of them earned it after the stunts they pulled.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2014, 10:20 pm

Actually, I take some of that back. I hate them, and they make me want to puke.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2014, 10:44 pm

okay then. Don't hold back

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2014, 8:13 am

only while reading it, then i forget all about it when i am done reading.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2014, 8:27 am

I have avoided watching TV news for years, and with good effects. Back in the day I was briefly responsible for filling 2 hours of local television programming each week. I learned then how to take a story and stretch it and milk it to fill a needed time slot. Today it seems a lot of "news" are really things not all that newsworthy, and/or are blown out of proportion to fill air time.

I stay current with world events via the BBC News app on my smartphone. I find it gives a good overview of important global happenings with just the right amount of depth and objectivity. Also, by reading instead of watching/listening it seems I get less emotionally involved; i.e. reading is less immersive for me.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 7:39 pm

I get annoyed by those BS stories designed to inspire fear in the viewer, or to make you buy stuff. (Basically every story on a current affair)

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 8:28 pm

khaoz wrote:
okay then. Don't hold back

I wonder if feeling like you are going to puke is a symptom of PTSD?. I have not read about it. Amongst other feelings, that one is there too. It really is difficult getting that monkey off my back, the news does not help at all.

The news can probably give it to you. It actually does fall in the guidelines of a cause. It gives me somekind of remissions, and i'm almost positive that is why i don't like it. Nothing like the news to remind you of personal tramatic events. There could be alot of things it can give you I'm sure. Nightmares, anxiety, etc. Etc.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 6:49 pm

I hate hate HAAAAATE the news! Much it is sensationalized and stupid all it does is make me want to die. I hate the snotty news anchors, I hate how they make every little thing sound horrible, e.g. a light drizzle sounds like our impending doom, I hate the stupid questions they ask, and I can't figure out how anyone can watch it and not be completely suicidal by the end. And why do they call it news when they repeat the same things and show the same footage over and over again. I just can't take the "Bad World Syndrome" that has given me nightmares and panic attacks and feelings helpless terror any more.