Main Differences with AS between Girls and Boys???

Page 4 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2014, 10:44 pm

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
Saying aspergers shouldn't present itself differently in genders is like saying it shouldnt present itself differently in a individual.

many people on WP are protesting the fact that they dont have All the symptoms of ASD but still fit the criteria.

i believe girls do and can Present differently, but not all girls do.

ASD is EXTREMELY Varied beyond people.
I agree with this.

Wreck It Ralph

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2014, 12:35 am

^^^
Right. The questions are whether on average girls present differently than boys, how differently they tend to present with the same condition and in what ways does their presentation tend to differ.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2014, 2:13 am

Genitalia.

mrspotatohead
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Apr 2014, 2:27 am

most of my "imitation" was actually arrived at through grueling amounts of trial and error. I often still think that I am conveying a message in a way I've seen others do only to find out that nobody understands it at all. The sarcastic tone, for instance, took years to get down, and I still screw it up pretty frequently.
I have had to explain to my husband a few times recently why I don't make much eye contact/look at people's faces often... because seeing facial expressions I don't understand while I'm trying to talk almost always derails my train of thought. It's either talk or look, not both.
As for meeting guys... I'd rather I hadn't met many of them because some took advantage of my inability to read people's intentions. On the other hand, there is something to be said for how uncomplicated I am compared to other, "normal" women, at least at face value; I am pretty much incapable of being passive aggressive, for instance, which is something most men hate about "normal" women (I hate it too, actually). For those few guys who weren't taking advantage of me, I think my directness was refreshing enough to make up for the inappropriateness that went with it.
I was very lucky to meet my husband, of course -- but from the moment I met him, he saw how awkward I am and chose to accept me anyway.
I do feel for (straight) men with ASD, not because they are worse off socially than women, which they aren't, but because "normal" women are just so hard to understand and engage with compared to men.