is a greatness
all it's own

blackdove
Toucan
Toucan

20 Feb 2007, 4:48 am

as my sig suggests....

truth is lamer than fiction.

fiction is the fantastic wonder of what is not "real".

if truth is considered real proof, then what's the wonder in that?

TruenoBlues
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2007, 5:02 am

Oh, I'd like to contest that "truth is lamer than fiction." How much of the real world have you seen? International politics, poverty, death, destruction hatred, love, community, kinship..... The best authors could never match all of real life. Each author can only take a tiny facet of the world and translate it to print. Ok, so my reasons are a mix of being altruistic plus double majoring in Political Science (argumentative) and Conflict Resolution (just looking to help). Your rebuttal?

blackdove
Toucan
Toucan

20 Feb 2007, 5:33 am

*sigh*

looks like "we" are here for an argument!!

wonderful!

Well. my sig, only holds relevence to me personally. hence why it is MY sig. not YOUR sig. or the WORLDS' sig!

but you are 100% right in your statement. the world is a very interesting and diverse place. no author, in their lifetime could possible encapsulate or conjur up as much conflict! (as in the "real" world) the conflicts in the world that exist, are there because of the lack of resources available to all.

aren't we a greedy species.

TruenoBlues
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2007, 5:45 am

We certainly are a greedy species. Anyway, a little argument helps create good friends, so long as it doesn't get too offensive. In all seriousness though, that's a pretty cool thought for your sig.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2007, 7:10 am

WP fills a social need for me. Also, it provides an opportunity to contribute to the welfare of others.

- Emerson

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2007, 7:16 am

To begin, I came here in hopes of assistance on an obsessive interest. Then I went away and returned having found most other forums either too cliquey and immature(*Cough*) and overrun by males, or simply too quiet for me(I like a lot of mental stimulation), so here I am, and here I stay for the forseeable future unless a non-internet based obsession takes over.

I need the companionship as I do not relate to people offline, I need the intellectual stimulation, as said, and it keeps me occupied in troubled times. In the past, I was on forums purely to help others, but I suppose I have become a little selfish, or maybe just worn out as I did so much of it there was nothing left for me. I suppose also that I do not 'need' so much as find it fulfils those gaps in my life.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

20 Feb 2007, 7:22 am

blackdove wrote:

lonely?
bored?
argumentative?
altruistic?

All of the above.

blackdove
Toucan
Toucan

20 Feb 2007, 7:26 am

thanks. sometimes i have to set limits for myself. to save my sanity.

blackdove
Toucan
Toucan

20 Feb 2007, 7:36 am

thank you all for your replies. i post topics sometimes purely out of interest in other people.
to see what their perspective is all about. i also post out of curiousity, like, my mind is hanging on an unresolved issue that i cannot resolve independently.

i think that, this site offers a generous variety of opinion and insight, anonymously. (altruism at its' best)

there is no membership fee, but it IS the internet, so all information is carefully recorded and available for others to see. (downfall)

i appreciate diversity. conflict. difference of opinion.

change is good. so long as its' for the better.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2007, 7:48 am

I usually have lots I can do. Boredom usually isn't it. I guess, for me, it is mostly curiousity. I want to see what others have to say, and can't help but chime in. OH WELL. ANYWAY, some of you are a lot like I am, so I learn some things about me, and can maybe help some of you!

Steve

rincemeister
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Feb 2007, 7:52 am

WP is somewhere that I can post what's on my mind in a fairly anonymous way. I find it too difficult to talk about personal issues with 'real' people.

kindofbluenote
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Feb 2007, 8:20 am

I like reading about others' experiences to see that they're like mine. It's cool to know that I'm not the only one that does certain things, or thinks in a specific way.

An example would be a thread a couple weeks ago dedicated to how groceries are put on the check-out belt. I laughed for a while, because I have an EXACT method of this, but I didn't realize it was a "method" I never had thought of it previously. I also thought it was funny that others did the same.

By reading about people similar to me (which I have never really found in reality--and if I did, it's not like I'd talk to them) I can learn more about myself.

JulieArticuno
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Feb 2007, 9:30 am

I first came here in a quest for knowledge.
I found so much i could relate to, got my doctor to referred me and got the DX last year
Now I come here because it's somewhere where I can see aspects of myselfr reflected and this reassures me that a) I'm not alone
b) I don't have an "illness"
c) it really is all right to be myself as long as thatr doesn't hurt someone else: in fact it's my right.

JulieArticuno

blackdove
Toucan
Toucan

20 Feb 2007, 9:35 am

great responses so far!