Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Adelecb
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Apr 2014, 12:52 pm

I have real trouble with replying verbally to questioning but I can write my replies down in length. I have to have time to process and writing is so much easier. It's not every day to day questioning I have problems with, but questions about work, ones that need a correct answer, and remembering stuff, ie policies. But as I said I can write it all down. Anyone else have problems with questioning.

Adelecb
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Apr 2014, 12:56 pm

Basically it's remembering stuff, and getting it out verbally, but I can write it down.

AmandaMarie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Apr 2014, 1:27 pm

Yes! I can answer simple questions pretty easily. Things that require be to process a lot of information at once, things that involve complex feelings, things that require me to remember things- a lot of the time it is very difficult for me to answer quickly and I take a long time to answer or my answer might not be very clear as I change it as I go along, if that makes sense. But I have no problem if I am writing. There is no pressure when I am writing- I don't have to think about how I am saying things, what my body is doing while I am saying it, what my voice is doing, how the person I am talking to will react. I don't have to struggle to remember things quickly since I can take my time to get all the information out of my brain. It is just much, much easier.

Adelecb
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Apr 2014, 1:33 pm

Glad I made sense. You can take your time writing stuff down and things pop in your head easily.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 6:27 pm

Sometimes I have a really hard time answering quickly also. Even if I totally know the answer to the question it's as if my mind can't fabricate the answer or the words fast enough. Sometimes it even takes a day or so for me to get the answer. It's almost like I don't really register the question until much later. Sometimes I might even have the answer right there on the tip of my mind but for some reason I can't register it and make the connection that it is the answer to the question being asked so I can't answer the question until much later. But I always do much better in writing. My thoughts come much more quickly and sometimes more concisely when I write. It's an interesting phenomenon.

Wreck It Ralph

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 7:12 pm

Don't they have these devices where you could type in responses? I hope they have those which allow for paragraphs of responses.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 7:20 pm

It depends whether the question is open or closed.

I'm fine with closed questions: eg "Are you good at maths" "Do you write well?"
Not good with open questions: eg "what are your strengths?" "tell me about yourself"

My mind floods with various response options when people throw open questions at me. It causes an overload in my mind that stops me from making a focused response, and triggers a flood of anxiety biochemicals that physically stress me out with tense muscles etc

This is why I found job interviews especially difficult. If the interviewer stuck to closed questions, no problem. But they are taught NOT to do this - which effectively screens out many ASD applicants.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 10:16 pm

I had a pastor at a church come up to me one day after service and just out of the blue, he had only ever had one conversation with me before that, he asked me, "So, how are you doing spiritually?" I just kind of looked at him with a dumb look on my face and had no idea how to answer that question. Once he saw that I was not even able to formulate any words to try to come up with an answer he walked away.

Wreck It Ralph

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 11:41 pm

i have that problem too, sometimes it comes out repetitive, broken or mixed matches. or even makes no sense at all, it happens when i type, right and talk. i think its due to Short Term Memory ( a slow information processing), a low Verbal and Language I.Q and communication difficulties. All pressent in Autism most of the time. so it could take me 3x as long to come up with an answer than other people my age.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 3:30 am

Totally. most of my questions asking and answering done is in texting on my phone or tablet or by miming.