Sims 3 game is now crashing the computer

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

irene
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Apr 2014, 10:17 am

I have tried to correct the problem by renaming the folder in documents and having the computer create a new one which has helped in the past but not this time.

Is uninstalling and reinstalling all the stuff packs and expansion packs the only way to correct the situation? If so is it necessary to remove everything at once? Or could I remove the base game then check to see if the problem still exists and if it does then take off the rest?

This is something I really don't want to do. :evil: But if I want to play the game this my only solution. I am assuming that there is a corrupted folder some where in the Programs folders which is causing the problem.

Can you offer any suggestions?

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 11:15 am

You can't remove the base game - the expansions won't run without it. But you might try uninstalling the expansions one by one. I fixed the game on my cousin computer once this way, 2nd expansion I uninstalled was corrupted (he got like 8 expansions installed). Then I reinstalled the two and the game returned to normal, no breaks since then as far I know.

irene
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Apr 2014, 12:23 pm

Thanks for the reminder about removing the base game.

I do remember having problems with World Adventures. Could that be a clue indicating that this could be the source of my problem? Or could it be any expansion or stuff pack?

ZpykeEboto
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Apr 2014, 12:34 pm

I could be wrong, but doesn't Sims 3 come with an EA data checker to make sure all data is intact and not corrupted/lost? I wouldn't know where to look for it, but I would assume it to be a menu option of sorts. Maybe even a right-click option. That is, if it exists.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 2:05 pm

World Adventures would be my first guess. I know it is pretty buggy and caused some problems in my game too (but it was crashing only when entering a vacation world). And as far I remember WA was the expansion that corrupted my cousin game too.

Btw. Other games work fine? Since it might be not Sims3 issue but computer issue as well. Sims3 causes huge graphic card, CPU and hard drive usage. One of those might be broken/overheating. Do you clean the inside of your computer sometimes? Dust can cause computer overheating. Also, make sure your graphic card drivers are up to date.

Last edited by Kiriae on 24 Apr 2014, 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

irene
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Apr 2014, 2:09 pm

ZpykeEboto wrote:
I could be wrong, but doesn't Sims 3 come with an EA data checker to make sure all data is intact and not corrupted/lost? I wouldn't know where to look for it, but I would assume it to be a menu option of sorts. Maybe even a right-click option. That is, if it exists.

No, EA does not have anything like a data checker. They do have the technical section in the Forums, and from the Origin website you can have the opportunity to instant message to someone whose knowledge of the game comes from reading about it from a handbook. At times you can have someone call you. The last option is usually the best. But this time I don't have enough knowledge on the problem to explain it to someone on the phone.

modernmax
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 8:23 pm

You could get it for the consoles, if you can't get the one on pc to work. It's for the most part the same game.

irene
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Apr 2014, 10:56 am

Thanks modernmax for your answer but that could get pretty expensive if I don't own the gadget to play the game.

Now I am having difficulty removing World Adventures. I get this message: "An error (-5006:0x8007003) has occured while running the step up. Please make sure you have finished any previous setup and closed other applications. If the error still occurs, please contact your vendor...."

Could I be getting it because I fell asleep :roll: while I was deleting World Adventures, didn't know what was going on so I stopped it from continuing? What can I do to finish the job? Would deleting the folders that are in Programs help?

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

25 Apr 2014, 11:40 am

Do you have any mods installed? What resolution do you have it set to?

irene
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Apr 2014, 1:22 pm

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
Do you have any mods installed? What resolution do you have it set to?

I am quite positive I do not have any mods installed. Resolution is 1280x1024.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2014, 7:23 am

irene wrote:
Now I am having difficulty removing World Adventures. I get this message: "An error (-5006:0x8007003) has occured while running the step up. Please make sure you have finished any previous setup and closed other applications. If the error still occurs, please contact your vendor...."

Could I be getting it because I fell asleep :roll: while I was deleting World Adventures, didn't know what was going on so I stopped it from continuing? What can I do to finish the job? Would deleting the folders that are in Programs help?

Try again after turning the computer off and on.

If the problem still occurs install CCleaner and run the Registry check 3 times (1 might not be enough). It sounds like something got messed up badly in the registry.

If CCleaner doesn't help and the problem still occurs try installing the WA again without reinstalling the old one and see what happens then.

Deleting the WA folder before even trying something else might just make a bigger mess. It's sounds like an idea after everything else fails but I can't really see how it would make any good. As far I know deleting a folder of any program installed/halfly installed is the easiest way to make the program totally dead and unable to revive. CCleaner might be able to fix the mess you create afterwards but try the other steps first before trying the folder removal.

BTW. Most of the mods get to the folder in Documents and Settings which sounds deleted already. The only mods that land in Program files are the alternations of world files and the cracks... oh, btw... you got a crack installed? It might be a cause of the problem too. In that case try running the "The Sims3 Ultimate Fix" (you will find it in google).

irene
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Apr 2014, 4:54 pm

Thanks everyone for your help.

Yesterday while on the internet it finally dawned on me what is wrong with the game or my computer. It's just too hot in here! There is nothing I can do about the situation other than be patient while waiting for November. I did it last year so hopefully it should be easier to do this year.

The problem is that I live in what is basically a tin can (a fifth wheel trailer) in a campground in Kissimmee, Florida where summer started this year the first week of April. That's actually pretty good compared with the first year we were here when it was hot in mid February!

To have the air conditioner run 24 hours a day would cost a minimum of $150. for the electricity. And it would lower the temperature by only about 15 degrees.