Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2014, 8:45 am

[quoteThat doesn't answer my earlier question about which of the zero Linux viruses in the wild it can "keep you safe" from.
[/quote]

Potential virus threats in the future, for instance. Remember when everyone claimed that Android was malware free?

Edit: Turns out that there is malware out in the wild. Browser hijackers are beginning to target Linux as well.

Quote:
Android is mostly Linux with a few pieces from FreeBSD.
Smartphone malware is still not unique to Android, and raising it as if it were relevant to a desktop machine running a Linux distro is still a red herring.
[/quote]

I'm not trying to discredit Linux or anything, but Android is a proof of what would happen if it became popular on desktops. 90% of all smartphones run either iOS or Android (UNIX like systems). The reason why Windows Phone is "virus free", is that it has a 9% market share.

Quote:
Yes, TomTom's procedures were breached, and Windows malware ended up on what appears to a Windows machine as a FAT32 drive - just like a USB stick could, and has, been used as a malware vector. Apple had a similar problem with the iPod around the same time, IIRC.
No Linux required - only lax procedures.

First of all, the virus had to be transmitted via the TomTom software, so it's not like putting an infected USB stick in the machine. Second, the very same thing would be possible on any other popular OS.

Quote:
This also didn't answer my question.

What was your question, then? Email attachments do not have execution flags enabled by default, but you can still execute them with Gnome, KDE or similar frontends--without root privileges. Email attachments such as CryptoLocker or similar won't be installed on a Windows computer either unless you execute them.