Very late talkers : How was your receptive language ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

HisMom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 1:34 am

Would all those who learned to talk / sign / communicate REALLY late (5 or beyond) - could you please share how your receptive language was before you began to communicate ? Could you understand everything that was said to you ? Was receptive language a big problem ? Please do share.

Thank you !

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 5:09 am

am one of those [and still have severe speech impairment] but what does receptive language mean?

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 5:42 am

HisMom wrote:
Would all those who learned to talk / sign / communicate REALLY late (5 or beyond) - could you please share how your receptive language was before you began to communicate ? Could you understand everything that was said to you ? Was receptive language a big problem ? Please do share.

Thank you !

"Receptive language means the ability to understand or comprehend language heard or read. Expressive language means being able to put thoughts into words ..."

i guess basically it was a gradual process the same as regular kids but delayed. i mean how well do you remember your receptive language was when you were 3? i know in the long run i understood a lot more of what was said. or at least got the idea and caught key words. like when doctors talked to my folks about me with me sitting right there. i understood a lot more then they thought i did. so i guess it was a touch and go thing that i gradually got better at. Didn't start talking until 7/8 years old. didn't start reading until 9/10 years old. I will say have always looked less responsive then i am. people who don't know me think i'm not listening or understanding as much as i am.

TheSperg
Toucan
Toucan

25 Apr 2014, 5:51 am

EzraS wrote:
HisMom wrote:

Thank you !

"Receptive language means the ability to understand or comprehend language heard or read. Expressive language means being able to put thoughts into words ..."

i guess basically it was a gradual process the same as regular kids but delayed. i mean how well do you remember your receptive language was when you were 3? i know in the long run i understood a lot more of what was said. or at least got the idea and caught key words. like when doctors talked to my folks about me with me sitting right there. i understood a lot more then they thought i did. so i guess it was a touch and go thing that i gradually got better at. Didn't start talking until 7/8 years old. didn't start reading until 9/10 years old.

Yea, I had some expressive language only my parents could understand. But I understood most of what was said and going on, about as well as a young child can of course.

I remember teaching myself to read before I started talking regularly. I think I felt afraid to talk for some reason, like I needed to watch more and absorb more situations and experiences before I felt safe.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 5:59 am

TheSperg wrote:
Yea, I had some expressive language only my parents could understand. But I understood most of what was said and going on, about as well as a young child can of course.

I remember teaching myself to read before I started talking regularly. I think I felt afraid to talk for some reason, like I needed to watch more and absorb more situations and experiences before I felt safe.

yeah my cousin whos my age and i grew up alongside, understood me a lot better sooner than anyone else, and I know from what i've been told, he could talk to me better than anyone else. And I taught myself how to read also.