I have developed a twitch. Has this happened to you?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Aharon
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 1:12 pm

I've always been a little jumpy, but recently I've developed a shiver in my neck that makes my head shake a little bit. It only happens for a second and then stops but sometimes this repeats several times in a row. Seems to happen more when I'm around my wife and also other people. I think it started when we were traveling to see family and stopped for a bathroom break and I forgot to lock the car and tell my wife I was going in also; I usually wait for her and when she came out I was not there and the car was unlocked (it was night and a big city, so security concerns there). Needless to say she was very upset, and it was a pretty miserable rest of the trip.

That was a week ago and I'm still twitching. Anyone familiar with this, or know what it is? I'm thinking I should see a neurologist about it, but am not sure.

We are not so different from potted plants in that, if given everything we need to be properly nourished, the outcome can be incredibly contrary to when we are not. A flower won't grow in flour, and neither can we.

diablo77
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Apr 2014, 1:57 pm

I've always had one. At least a few times a day, the whole left side of my body, but especially my arm and hand, will jump and my left hand will go up. It does happen more when I am under particular stress, and a nurse I once knew (personally) believed it could have been autism-related, or at least tied to the same neurological issue.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 2:34 pm

Sometimes I notice these in my legs and pectoral muscles, in my case I think it relates to neuronal adaptation to increased exercise, although sometimes I've thought it also could be a nutrient deficiency. When I had to drive my dad's automatic honda I noticed a lot of the twitches in my thighs & arms, but when I switched back to my car with a five speed they went away, so I think there could also be a link to sedentary habits here...

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

TrippyPhysics
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Apr 2014, 3:01 pm

ive been recently getting tics in my face especially when tired anxious or stressed an its from my neck to my face its terrible but normal for people with autism or aspergers

alwaysnow
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Apr 2014, 3:18 pm

Yeah I also get it in my neck/head. Mostly happens when I lie in bed when trying to sleep, although varies how much. I think it happens as a result of calming down abruptly relative to how much stress or sensory input I've been exposed to, though sometimes it can happen in other situations if just extremely tired. More rarely I will get more full-body tics as well.

Last edited by alwaysnow on 25 Apr 2014, 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aharon
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 3:19 pm

Quote:
sometimes I've thought it also could be a nutrient deficiency

Being a vegetarian, I've asked doctor to order some blood work to rule out low levels of potassium or b12 or something like that. Could be neurological, could be stress, I'm not sure. When I'm alone I'm fine though, unless I think about the trip and then sometimes it happens then.

We are not so different from potted plants in that, if given everything we need to be properly nourished, the outcome can be incredibly contrary to when we are not. A flower won't grow in flour, and neither can we.

Last edited by Aharon on 25 Apr 2014, 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 4:16 pm

I'll leave the thread open, I'm not a vegetarian but I only eat meat occasionally. I'd love to find out if our nerves could be overtly consuming a resource that hasn't been isolated...

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

alwaysnow
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Apr 2014, 4:28 pm

I eat meat all the time (r my post).