Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2014, 5:07 am

A long, but interesting article: http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles ... ifferently

Quote:
Satisfied people are less likely to be analytical and detail-oriented. A study led by University of New South Wales psychologist Joseph Forgas found that dispositionally happy people—those who have a general leaning toward the positive—are less skeptical than others.

Looks like most of us aspies are screwed from the outset!

Quote:
Depressed people, the logic goes, are more likely than others to reflect on and process their experiences—and thereby gain insight into themselves or the human condition—albeit at an emotional price.

My impression has long been that I'm less happy than the average NT, but when they put it this way, I'm actually surprisingly happy! :D

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2014, 11:55 pm

FMX wrote:

Thanks for sharing...

FMX wrote:
Satisfied people are less likely to be analytical and detail-oriented. A study led by University of New South Wales psychologist Joseph Forgas found that dispositionally happy people—those who have a general leaning toward the positive—are less skeptical than others.

So, that explains it. Sigh...

SaulGoodeXL
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Apr 2014, 4:54 am

I wouldn't describe myself as unhappy though to be honest. More of a hardcore cold logic realist :)

I would argue that if Aspies are more inclined to logic over emotion that we perhaps see the more realistic picture and don't kid ourselves as much if at all.

Plus being analytical and detail oriented in some cases is a bonus depending on your job or hobby.

Eccles_the_Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2014, 8:04 am

So what the article is saying is that happy people don't analyze why they feel good on a sunny day, they just grab a towel and head for the beach.

I'll have some of that!

timf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2014, 8:30 am

Quote:
Satisfied people are less likely to be analytical and detail-oriented.

I would think that articles selected for publication in "Psychology Today" are selected more on the basis for their ability to garner readers interest than advancing the understanding of human behavior.

The equation of happiness with satisfaction may be an indication of the limited scope of the article in addition to the conclusion that "ignorance is bliss".

As a Christian I am suspect of any attempt to explain human behavior that intentionally ignores the concept of sin. In fact many psychological theories of human behavior start with the assumption that people are basically good.

From a Christian perspective sin is the elevation of self above all else. From a psychological perspective is "healthy" to elevate of self. Solomon wrote a book that is a depressing assessment of the human condition called Ecclesiastes. Here we have an example of someone with a lot of wisdom, but whose personal sin kept him distant from God. As a result, he saw the evil in the world as it is, but was unable to mitigate this perspective with the knowledge or assurance that the evil in the world will be dealt with in justice and love.

I worked on a Crisis Hotline for a number of years. I tried to summarize what I learned to help people with problems in life. I tried to do this without mentioning Christianity because so many people find even the mention of Christianity bothersome. What I found was that I could write about how to solve problems, but I was unable to write about how someone moved past the realm of boredom that separates happiness from suffering without mentioning Christianity.

The key to the problem was that the pursuit of self and selfish desires usually leads to problems. Even Buddhists see this. When someone works their way out of life's difficulties into the realm of boredom, they often engage in activities that bring them back into the suffering associated with problems. To break through boredom to happiness requires a transition from a self oriented life to an other oriented life.

Other orientation can occur without Christianity as in the natural world the phenomena of parenthood provides an environment where self orientation has to at least be temporarily set aside.

Since so many churches present Christianity as a set of rules to follow, it is no wonder that people often see Christianity as more of a hindrance to happiness than an aid. However, real Christianity is transformative and a new life in Christ is the means whereby other orientation can more fully be achieved.

This other orientation can be seen in the difference between how the world defines love (self and feeling oriented) and how the Bible defines love.

Webster
love
noun
1. a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person.
2. a feeling of warm personal attachment or deep affection, as for a parent, child, or friend.
3. sexual passion or desire.
4. a person toward whom love is felt; beloved person; sweetheart.
5. (used in direct address as a term of endearment, affection, or the like): Would you like to see a movie, love?

1 Corinthians 13:4-7
Love is kind and patient, never jealous, boastful, proud, or rude. Love isn't selfish or quick tempered. It doesn't keep a record of wrongs that others do. Love rejoices in the truth, but not in evil. Love is always supportive, loyal, hopeful, and trusting.

While people can achieve satisfaction, contentment, pleasure, and fulfillment, I think that full happiness will always remain out of reach until the consuming desires of self can be transformed into a sincere desire for the welfare of others. I do not see this as something that can be learned or even mastered through strict discipline. It is something that can only be grown through divine intervention in a human heart.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2014, 3:24 pm

I'm happy now that I am on Sertraline, and yes my view on life has changed too. I feel more positive, open-minded and willing to get out there and just take in the beautiful world around me, and not be held back by all these ''woe is me'' and ''I am useless' and ''I want to die'' thoughts going round and round in my head almost constantly. I feel like there is such a big strain off me. All the little things that were problems for me before, aren't problems any more. I am much less analytic, and can focus on life's bigger problems, rather than dwelling on the things I used to dwell on before I went on Sertraline. I finally feel quite free, instead of feeling trapped in intense depression. It is wonderful. Thank you, Sertraline.