Does anyone else find it hard to try new things?

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 4:24 am

I was never any good at trying new things, for instance when I moved out my Mum suggested getting a double bed rather then have a single bed which is what I was used to, I resisted at first but then I got to thinking a double bed would be nice I would have a nice bedroom suite with it, Now I'm glad I did.
After that I try not to say no to something I would rather think about it first it might turn out better then I thought it would.

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 2:51 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone. :)

It seems like for most aspies "familiarity breeds content".

Just to clarify I do have a desire to do different things, but for some reason actually doing them is the really hard part. I don't know if it's just my avoidant ways i've picked up due to anxiety or if it's something else. I just find most things out of the ordinary as daunting.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

29 Apr 2014, 4:04 pm

I think I'm probably more routine orientated and rigid than I realize, I do a lot of things that I think are normal or do as a coping mechanism that I don't even notice. If you asked someone else that knows me they'd probably give you a resounding yes. I've been pretty sheltered and reclusive for some years, my perceptions of myself are based in my own reality. I'm trying to change now and a lot of those issues I had back when I was in school and out in the world that I tried to forget about are bubbling back to the surface.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 8:57 pm

My Brief-A test for Executive Function Deficits reported that 97% of everybody else adjusts to change better then I do.

Special interests and routines are coping mechanisms for low working memory and Executive Function deficits

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kalika
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Apr 2014, 1:04 pm

Sometimes I do find it hard to try new things, but it's gotten a little easier over the years.

nikkiDT
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Apr 2014, 2:33 pm

Suhtek wrote:
I'm glad someone posted about this.

I am trying to get out of routine and become more flexible.

Me too.

loner1984
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2014, 8:24 pm

Yeah a bit. 30 so far I've always gotten the same pizza. I do have a plan to try a different one ...... Some day.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2014, 10:38 pm

I can relate. I will watch a show over and over again rather than watch something different.
I try new things but I always go back to my familiar comforting routines.
WP has become familiar and comforting to me. It's the only forum I visit and I was very stressed when it was down the other day. I didn't know why it was down or how long it would be down.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2014, 12:09 am

I don't like changes in routine or invitations to try new things, even with advanced notice. I might accept them, but I'll be anxious and/or preoccupied over them until it's time to do it. If someone tries to invite me to do something that day, I freeze up and can't do it. The only people who can get me to do things with no warning are my family, because they are an effective substitute for the routine; I know if I need anything, their familiar patterns of behaviour will be there for me to fall back on. I can't count on that with other people. I always order the exact same things at restaurants, and even sort of dislike buying new clothes, because they just feel strange and... different, both from a sensory and a routine point of view.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2014, 12:27 am

new things interrupt and interfere and require adjusting to. my browser just decided to update on me and it hate it. why can't they just leave stuff alone?

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2014, 12:49 am

EzraS wrote:
new things interrupt and interfere and require adjusting to. my browser just decided to update on me and it hate it. why can't they just leave stuff alone?

I know. I hate those updates. I don't know what they are or where they are coming from.
I don't want or need updates but my computer just shuts down to update, sometimes without warning.