Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Have you taken/passed your driving test?
Yes, I passed my test and I can drive. :-) 75%  75%  [ 12 ]
Not yet, but I'm working on it. 19%  19%  [ 3 ]
I'm not sure / I'm not ready yet. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No, I can't drive and don't want to try. 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 16

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 7:53 am

I don't think it is too hard. Drivers usually stick to rules although they tend to ignore speed limits and often pass you if you stick to the limit. That pisses me off, especially since they tend to push right in front of you when they see a car coming from the opposite direction and you have to slow down to let them in. Also some of them force on crossroads but not too often so it's ok. The worst problem are the walkers, especially in a center of a big city - you have to drive 20-30km/h there (although the general limit in cities is 50km/h) or you hit them since there is a rule "a walker has priority on a crosswalk no matter what" and they think they can just walk straight to the crosswalk without even looking if the car isn't too close to stop right away. They got no imagination.

But passing the exam is another story. Do a minor mistake 2ce (like the hand brake thing) and you are out. I know people who tried it more than 10 times. And each exam costs about 100PLN which is not cheap (most young workers get about 1600PLN/month minus the taxes).

GreyMatter
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Apr 2014, 11:45 am

screen_name wrote:
My dad does that!!

I remember many times as a kid riding in the car and coming up to a stop light and hear this conversation:

Dad: which pedal, which pedal? (All panicky)
Mom: left
Dad: red is stop? (completely not joking)
Mom: pull over, let me drive

But, he's a very intelligent man. He is also ridiculously awful at operating a phone.

That is hilarious! I am relieved to know I am not the only one. I do know the difference between red and green light though, that is if I even notice the traffic light in all the visual overload.

One of the driving tests I failed I managed to blow in the parking lot a few seconds after getting started. I used the indicator light to indicate the direction in which I was backing. The test administrator asked what I was doing, and I answered honestly: 'I don't know.'

:roll:

Last edited by GreyMatter on 29 Apr 2014, 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nightingale121
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 12:11 pm

Thom_Fuleri wrote:
Many years ago, I took my driving test. Three times.
This was one of the most stressful experiences of my life - and yet also a very useful one. I learned something from my second test - it's okay to fail.

I went into my third driving test just looking to do my best and let fate decide... and my stress was much reduced, to the point that I performed better and passed.

This sounds like my story, although it was not many years ago, but this year. At my first test I was very nervous and felt sick and bad. I made many mistakes. I was rather sure I would pass when I took the second test, but although I drove better I didn´t pass because I just became confused about on task and needed too many corrections and I also made one mistake during the driving.
But like you I learned from it that it is okay to fail and so I started the third test without pressure, drove well and passed.