Type #4 37%  37%  [ 29 ]
Type #5 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 78

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2014, 3:54 pm

Kiriae wrote:
<raises hand> Type 2 female here. But I got above average intelligence.

Change the intelligence thing. At the moment it is now you suggest that only type 1 can be gifted and all others got no more than average intelligence (below average = less then average).

I think I might change this as well. I noted initially through the word "usually" that this is the main pattern that I've noticed though there are exceptions. The others (with the exception of type 1) may have a wider range I think as I do know some highly intelligent type 2s.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

Sona_21
Raven
Raven

28 Apr 2014, 4:02 pm

Some mixture of 4 and 5.

Alyosha
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Apr 2014, 4:19 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
sorry if it seems like a buzzkill but they arent descriptive of the autism spectrum;if they were they woudnt only focus on 'high functioning' spectrum presentations, those of us with LFA present very differently to aspies as our intelectual impairment also flavours our autism, in the same way these HFA variations differ depending on IQ but to a deeper level.

none of them represent mine and am both LF ,severely autistic,with ID.

exactly,. but even without ID it's not accurate fro those with massive lanauge problems in childhood, even if they've been kind of 'outgrown'.

Dhp
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2014, 4:30 pm

This was a difficult decision, but I'm mostly type 1, except I am very sensitive, moody, and emotional as well. I am not merely "left brained" (i.e. logical and analytical) but right brained too (creativity and artistic a little).

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2014, 5:01 pm

I think a mixture of 4 and 1 for me.

I don't speak unless I need to. I most like theoretical/academic topics (though have difficulty participating in them when speech is required). You'd still find me drawn to listening to these conversations. I also have obvious sensory issues.

I didn't vote.

I have been diagnosed with Aspergers and MERLD
I have significant chronic medical conditions as well

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2014, 5:21 pm

2 for the most part. Nothing else in the choices fit nearly as well. I could just about write a book on this.

Type #2
Gender - Almost always male, though have met one female in this category

Quote:
NTs are likely to notice differences upon meeting them.
Maybe not likely but I bet they notice often enough.

Quote:
More likely to display interest in others than the other types (though this is awkward), can be outgoing
It is awkward and has to be done very carefully and conservatively

Quote:
Often very awkward body language, may give mixed messages with this, wavering or piercing eye contact
Getting better at it but I don't think I ever was VERY awkward.

Quote:
Always has an unusual tone of voice, may be serious sounding or nasal or have an odd quality to it
Sometimes monotone but not overly so. I've pretty much become normal or as normal as I can in this respect.

Quote:
More likely to come across as egocentric than the other types, more likely to like calling attention to themselves
I used to be but I've adjusted considerably

Quote:
Least obvious interests than the other types, can talk about a variety of subjects, can learn to chit-chat
Definitely me!

Quote:
Has fixations on very specific scenarios/situations (may bring up an event over and over or talk about a socially related topic repeatedly such as dating repeatedly) which are often brought up in social situations

Yep! This WAS me but I've learned to adjust to a considerable degree

Quote:
May attempt to gain or successfully gain NT friends but miss social subtleties

I don't make a show of trying to gain friends. I actually don't feel that I need or want a lot friends since that can quickly complicate life to an uncomfortable level.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2014, 5:22 pm

I mostly fit subtype #3, though I talk about my interests far less than I did as a child. If I feel the urge to talk about a special interest while talking to my mum on the phone, I tell her that I need to go and keep that interest to myself. My parents tried to raise the autism out of me, and they've failed miserably. My parents already know what my interests are. Why do I need to talk to them about those interests?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2014, 5:40 pm

Mostly Type 2, with some Type 1 characteristics--very few Type 5 characteristics. I don't fit any of the other types at all.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2014, 9:45 pm

I guess #6 (pieces of 2, 3 and 4).

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

Quill
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2014, 10:10 pm

I don't exactly fit into any of these categories, but I'm closest to type 4. However, I do initiate and engage in conversations with people I'm comfortable around, I rarely make eye contact, my body language isn't great, and I am not ashamed of my diagnosis. I also have several traits of type 1 and type 3, but if you were to just meet me and only spend a little bit of time with me, I would probably come across as a solid type 4.

FireyInspiration
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2014, 10:20 pm

Some aspects from each, but #2 is the closest

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2014, 11:09 pm

Mostly 3, but with a generous sprinkling of 4.

Go as far as you can see. When you get there, you will see farther.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 12:06 am

The closest would be 2.

IamRob
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Apr 2014, 12:50 am

Mostly 4 for me,minor sensory isues though not usualy visible to others.sometimes engage others,better if comfortable with person.sometimes neutral/blank other times smiling laughing(not for no reason).hard time with body language given/taken.monotone odd intonation at times.hard time with eye contact (though was pushed to do it as a kid)focus more on mouth through periferal vision to help understand in noisy situations.

These are just a few that i can think of

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 6:04 am

Mostly 3, - with a touch of 4 and a slight touch of 5.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 7:32 am

I believe I am type 4.

Quote:
Gender - equally males and females
I'm female.

Quote:
Extremely passive and quiet in social situations, don't like to chat or do small talk
I get really shy in most social situations and can only do small talk if somebody seems interested in talking to me.
Quote:
Don't engage with or initiate conversation with others, unless questions are asked (and in which case they give a short, to the point answer and don't continue the conversation unless it's about an interest)
Yes, I'm not much of a talker, more of a listener.
Quote:
Lack of emotional expression, tend to present as neutral/"blank"
Hmm, not too sure about this one. When I'm nervous of someone or feel patronised, I can sometimes be like this.
Quote:
Don't have unusual body language (though can appear distracted at times)/can make eye contact
I generally display normal body language and can make eye contact.
Quote:
Tone of voice less unusual than other types, though may have unclear speech
Yes, and I can sometimes mumble.
Quote:
Has interests, but you have to ask about them in order for them to talk about them.
I have learnt to keep my special interests to myself, because I have lost friends in the past because of freaking them out by being too obsessed about one thing.
Quote:
If asked about interests, able to have an NT-like back and forth conversation about them
Yes. I try not to make it obvious that I am obsessed, but I like to make it clear that I am casually interested.
Quote:
Least likely to be open about AS than other types, often ashamed of it
Yes, I have always been ashamed or embarrassed about telling people. I have always been angry about having it, and in denial to friends.